Rosie's return to glory

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Rosie's return to glory

Postby 378S2 » Sun 26.12.2021, 15:46

Hi Matt - she will be surely fixed now, it looks perfect. I am interested to learn about the assembly process; I have seen a few builds on YouTube etc. where they use regular engine oil and others who use assembly lube which seems to be thicker. When should you use each type?

At the risk of angering the Northern Hemisphere - it is too hot here for a convertible Lotus right now; it was 44C a couple of days ago and it's even too hot in the garage. Poor Steve isn't getting the miles in.
378S2
Enthusiast

Postby FunElan » Thu 06.01.2022, 22:47

I'm itching for an update here. How's it going, Matt?
FunElan
Tinkerer

Postby TorqueHorse » Fri 07.01.2022, 05:43

Well, in contrast to sunny Perth or SoCal ;) , it finally got cold here...and I'm waiting for some parts...and scope crept again...so progress has slowed down :(.

Over the break, there were a few warm days, so I was able to get some work done. On the to-do list has been to straighten out the suspension; namely the prongeron, raft suspension plates, and the diagonal support. I got everything aligned except ONE connection point on the right hand side. Annoyingly off by just a few mm. When it gets a bit warmer again, I'll try some heat on that corner and some more brute force.
camera under the catalytic converter, looking towards the front of the car

While the engine is out, and BCN has a few sport shift kits still available, I also decided to pull the trigger and pick one up. But before I could install it...what's that I see in the center of the chassis?

Just some of the rodent's paradise I removed.

While the head is off (and having watched too much youtube) I decided to try and clean-up some of the casting flash and transitions. Nothing aggressive, and it isn't much noticeable to the eye, but I can feel a difference of it being smoother to the touch now in places. I just used a grinding stone on my Dremel.
Left is the before, Right is after (same intake valve). Head is upside down, looking in from the intake mani connection; valve guide is sticking up.

At this point now, the main thing I'm waiting for is another bearing and another oil pump. I got paranoid about the oil supply seeing the wear on the new bearing, and the history of how bad that same piston was before, and how low the pressure was when at idle. I've checked all the oil jets and they all seem to pass fluid through, and the check valve ball bearings operate. I'll look again at the bearing clearances and I'll be doing a teardown of the old oil pump and the new one to see if the relief valve was stuck or something else unusual.

*edit: Wow 44 degrees, I just re-read that! That is like the all time record here. I think that means you just need to drive faster to increase your body's evaporative cooling, right? And I don't know why you are asking my advice on when to use oil vs lube...haven't you seen the (lack of) results here :lol: But I did just get more of the lube and am going to drench everything I can in it, and really focus on keeping the reassembly-to-run time window to within two weekends. Fingers crossed.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby 378S2 » Thu 20.01.2022, 13:36

I should have converted the temperature to freedom units - 112F is pretty horrid. On those days the lotus stays safely inside and I take the new daily driver (a Mazda wagon with cooled seats!).

There are many things I don’t understand in life but especially the need to reduce the build to run time. Cars often sit for months or years and crate engines sit in warehouses for ages. So what are they putting in those crate engines?
378S2
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Projects - Car (Major)