LGM Elan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 05.06.2010, 17:55

Just ordered a new aluminum AC drier. Hopefully it will work and be a bit lighter. I also just finished up changing out the resistance chip on the Fuel level sender as my guage never quite read properly. Now it's spot on. I need to figure out the low fuel light still though. If anyone is interested the OEM chip is 37ohms-247ohms full-empty
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/popup/ ... php?pid=40
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby texas2201 » Sun 06.06.2010, 09:30

weird bulbs!! do you have a picture of them working?

lotusgirlmarie wrote:Thank you both.

I just finished up doing the wiring for the new LED lighting for the Elise lights. Turn signals work as normal with the resistor packs I built. Crazy looking bulbs, too. They work famously though.
"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 06.06.2010, 13:31

From their website

http://www.ledlight.com/detailpopup.asp ... -light.jpg

They have really pure red colour in the lail lights and an instant on off. Very even dispersion and little to no heat. Great I sound like an advert. They are really nice though. All of my exterior lamps with the exception of the reverse lights and inner turn signal on the rear are LED now. It's really expensive to swap them all out but considerring you will never have to buy another bulb......
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby texas2201 » Sun 06.06.2010, 16:54

everything you do is expensive Marie (who the F*** is Louise) :-) but very good - just wish I had the money and time to bring mine up to the level of yours
Last edited by texas2201 on Sat 31.07.2010, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
texas2201
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 06.06.2010, 18:13

It took me a few months ordering a couple bulbs at a time to get them all.

You should see some of my other projects I'm working on. Along with the rear valances, which are coming along nicely I might add, I'm making lower profile inner light covers. Less intrusive into the already limited trunk space. I'm also making a new power steering resevoir to match my coolant tank and to replace the one in my car that is leaking. Like I said earlier in the post..... I'm fixing and upgrading all the mechanics this year and I'll do all of the body next year. In the end I'll have a very sexy Elan. Then to buy either a beater or another exotic in dire need of some TLC.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby texas2201 » Wed 09.06.2010, 00:29

GLOL it will be superb then - I always follow your posts with interest - I would love a drive of your car to see what the difference is :-)
texas2201
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Wed 09.06.2010, 03:04

I wish I could post photos from my iPhone. I don't always have access to my computer. The resevoir is coming along quite nicely.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby Specky » Wed 09.06.2010, 06:54

I do,

Take a photo

email yourself

upload it on to a hosting site

Ta-Dar

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 20.06.2010, 14:14

My new power steering tank. The last one cracked at the base soooo.... I built this cusom one. I used a Canton tank, cut it up, built a new bracket and baseplate, welded it all togeather then ground down the welds and polished it out to match my custom coolant tank.
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/9139425@N0 ... 7/sizes/m/
Last edited by lotusgirlmarie on Sun 20.06.2010, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Beautiful!

Postby tigerdog » Sun 20.06.2010, 14:20

I'd hate you for your skillz if you weren't so doggone pleasant. :-D Another underhood jewel from the LGM masterworks.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 20.06.2010, 15:15

Another pic of it intalled. Not bad looking and it has a windage tray welded in as well.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/9139425@N0 ... 8/sizes/m/
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby dapinky » Sun 20.06.2010, 18:16

Looks good, Marissa 8)

With the square shape, does it make for getting to the altenator adjustment bolt any easier? or would it still need to be moved for good access?
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 20.06.2010, 19:20

Access is still resricted but better that the OEM tank. It doesn't protrude as far into the engine bay. The total setup is lighter than OEM too considerring there isn't a big steel bracket. I know it's a minimal difference but every pound counts. I've gotten the GVW down to 2019 LBS wet. Alot of carbon bodywork, significantly lighter seats, the lighter rear valance, no spare tyre, lighter exhaust system and the list goes on. My goal is sub 2K LBS. Heck I even did an aluminum AC drier as mine was knackered. After the Valance project and the last BOV and intake pipe run I may do a limited run of coolant tanks and PS resevoir. Attaced is a comparrison pic of AC driers.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/9139425@N0 ... 8/sizes/m/
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby tigerdog » Mon 21.06.2010, 11:43

Please count me in if you start the group buy on coolant and PS tanks. One cracked header tank is enough and I have to believe the 2nd is a ticking time bomb since it seems to have come from the same batch at Dave Bean.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 24.06.2010, 00:34

I think we've all had cracked tanks. I tried to set up a run before but it went all sideways. When the time comes up I'll get more into detail and design.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby Ekapol » Fri 02.07.2010, 22:10

tigerdog wrote:Please count me in if you start the group buy on coolant and PS tanks. One cracked header tank is enough and I have to believe the 2nd is a ticking time bomb since it seems to have come from the same batch at Dave Bean.

I don't know if there is anybody out there that is luckier than me. I went through at least 4 of these thingies.

"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Postby tigerdog » Fri 02.07.2010, 23:26

Did they all split along the lower back edge? That's where my last one went and Marie posted a pic that looked suspiciously similar. If yes and if they all came from Dave Bean, maybe we should package them up and send them all back with a thank you note. :evil:
tigerdog
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 02.07.2010, 23:42

Yep. And we recieved some frome DBE and others straight from GM. Same result. This is why I went and built two tanks from aluminum. As I stated before, my goal is to have one very sorted Elan( at least mechanically) by years end. No more wasting $$$ on BS issues and design defects. While I'm about it I'll add some High End pedigree flair. It will not only look good but perform doing it.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 31.07.2010, 18:01

As I was waiting for a layer of gel coat to cure on the valances, I decided to have a go at the AC. It's been 8+ years since it has worked. System was destroyed by the original owner among other things as I came to find out. I fabricated all new hardlines and made all of the other lines braided steel. I fabricated a new compressor block (the bit that the lines attach to in the rear of the compressor) and got a new compressor from lotus aftersales. I'm using "Freeze 12" and can honestly say it works pretty well. It's just as cold as my BMW Z3's 134A system.

While I was at it, I also replaced the power steering pump (mine knackered), refit the oil cooler lines to clear the new AC compressor, installed new custom Carrera aluminum bodied sport shocks and took measurement to do a limited run of foglight brackets among other little bits and bobs. The rear shocks came in yesterday to my friend's shop in the south bay so I'll be picking them up next week. Photos of them to come shortly after.

Piccies....

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/9139425@N0 ... 2/sizes/m/

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/9139425@N0 ... 7/sizes/m/
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby londoner » Sun 01.08.2010, 11:31

Hi Lady LGM,

you never stop to amaze us.

I can't see your pics on flickr... Is there something I must do or sign up for before I can see the pictures?
londoner
Tinkerer

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)