EE

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: EE

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 02.07.2009, 07:41

I was going to mention that you may want to trim the 45 from the BOV pipe to the T-body as it seems about 2-3 CM too long.

Hopefully it's just one of the seals that let go and not the casing that cracked.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby rip » Fri 03.07.2009, 06:31

I spoke to Gerald at GST's yesterday. He believed a driveshaft popped out of the diff, which accounts both for the loss of drive & oil.
If something had blown a hole in the gearbox, then I would expect the gearbox would have seized too, but all gears are selectable.
Gerald also mentioned that the near side drive shaft should be the only one which could pop out. This was before I told him which side the oil was leaking from. It was certainly leaking from this side, so hopefully that's the problem.
I also happened to buy a pair of new driveshafts from the recent factory sale, so maybe the news is not all bad.
Last edited by rip on Fri 03.07.2009, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 03.07.2009, 10:01

Good News Iain :smt023

Hopefully that is all it will be!

It may be worth trying to push the NS shaft back in to locate it on the circlip, just to make sure it will engage.

Then hope that it hasn't knackered the splines in the diff with one bit spinning whilst the other doesnt.

Just as a question (not an accusation :lol: ) have you had the driveshafts out previously? If so, did you use a new circlip when you replaced them?

('cos I used the old one, and may now have to re-consider :oops: )

Edit:-

Just read it properly and see that Gerald has it, so Ignore my ideas on what to try, 'cos it will have already been done by a far better way than i could explain!!
I wouldn't presume to know anything that G wouldn't have discounted as a bad idea years ago :bowdown:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 03.07.2009, 19:39

And I bet Gerald won't spoil the ship for a ha'peth of tar and will fit a new circlip. :wink:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Monty » Fri 03.07.2009, 23:53

Rippers,

If it turns out that the splines on the Diff are KO`d then i should have a spare Diff laying about some where, just let me know if you need it unless you go for the Quaife ATB :smt115
Last edited by Monty on Sat 04.07.2009, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby rip » Sat 04.07.2009, 00:21

Thanks, Monty.
If I need it I'll be in touch.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Dave Eds » Sun 05.07.2009, 21:39

He won't, 'cos he won't! :wink:
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby rip » Thu 30.07.2009, 22:56

Spent the last 3 evenings fitting AB gearcables, new, ½" shorter gearstick & new gearknob. A few cuts & bruises to my hands but I feel good for getting it done.
The new gearcables have given me the confidence to adjust the AB shortshift to its closest setting.

WOW! I love it! Like most others, my gearshift is a little stiff at the moment, so the centre-return springs are not quite fierce enough. I was expecting it to be like that until the cables have worn in though. Only one way to do that...Drive it :-D
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby surfboardfiller » Thu 06.08.2009, 15:28

rip wrote:Spent the last 3 evenings fitting AB gearcables, new, ½" shorter gearstick & new gearknob. A few cuts & bruises to my hands but I feel good for getting it done.
The new gearcables have given me the confidence to adjust the AB shortshift to its closest setting.

WOW! I love it! Like most others, my gearshift is a little stiff at the moment, so the centre-return springs are not quite fierce enough. I was expecting it to be like that until the cables have worn in though. Only one way to do that...Drive it :-D

Good work!

Nothing wrong with feeling a little stiff, once you get going you might want to lube the shifter up a bit more to make the action run smoother. I noticed how much tighter the bushes are compared to the original. I just did the same to mine and can't wait to get it out on the road! Have to finish it first though. :roll:
surfboardfiller
God

Postby rip » Thu 06.08.2009, 22:57

After reading Monty's comment about the crossgate bush being too tight (in the AB thread), I disconnected the crossgate cable & filed the bush slightly earlier today. I didn't go too far because the last thing I want is to re-introduce some sloppiness.
All greased up & the joint went together a little easier.
The springs are just enough to centre the gearstick now. Better, but I still think it will ease off after a few more miles.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby rip » Sat 30.01.2010, 17:31

Gearcables have now worn in & much of the stiffness has gone. The gearchange modifications are now complete & it feels so much better than it did originally.

I was forced to have an Elise rear-light conversion last autumn after a touch of clumsiness. I liked the originals, complete with the 'plate cover, although I disliked the Renault electrics. I like my CF panel more than I thought I would & it is growing on me more all the time.

EE also became the prototype for the Eibach Springs / Nitron damper setup a little over a week ago. The new dampers help it to absorb the bumps better while the stiffer springs have given me more feel & allow the car to corner a lot flatter.
When fitting the springs, it was discovered that one of the mounting points was no longer solid (I never use them because I have a sports trolley jack so lift it by the wishbone mounts). I may have a big bill looming up to repair this.

Other than that, next on the hit-list are new roof seals & getting the seats re-covered....then an audio upgrade.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Monty » Sun 31.01.2010, 00:35

rip wrote:
I was forced to have an Elise rear-light conversion last autumn after a touch of clumsiness. I liked the originals, complete with the 'plate cover, although I disliked the Renault electrics. I like my CF panel more than I thought I would & it is growing on me more all the time.

Yep thats i nice CF panel, the only thing i would say when following you from the curry meet on tuesday i would say the LED number plate lights were to bright IMHO, is it possible to cut the number off LEDs down?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Dico » Sun 31.01.2010, 02:46

Yes I agree wholeheartedly 8)
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder

Postby surfboardfiller » Mon 01.02.2010, 11:13

Yes they can be cut into groups of (I think 3) LED's. I wanted to source some smaller ones but it turns out they can be cut down so I'll get onto that.

A pair of 3 LEDs would be better and maybe I should change the angle so it points into the back of the car more. The LEDs were a lot better than I expected and have a very wide angle of illumination; I expected them to be more direct. Stll it looks a little more 'backstreet modfied' than expected but we'll sort that. :wink:
surfboardfiller
God

Postby rip » Tue 02.02.2010, 00:19

surfboardfiller wrote:Yes they can be cut into groups of (I think 3) LED's. I wanted to source some smaller ones but it turns out they can be cut down so I'll get onto that.

A pair of 3 LEDs would be better and maybe I should change the angle so it points into the back of the car more. The LEDs were a lot better than I expected and have a very wide angle of illumination; I expected them to be more direct. Stll it looks a little more 'backstreet modfied' than expected but we'll sort that. :wink:

:D They do a good job of lighting up the boot too. Much better than the courtesy 'glow-worm'.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Gazza » Tue 02.02.2010, 12:14

Rip

You sorted that tail light out to make it a complete circle yet? :wink:

Gazza
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Postby theelanman » Tue 02.02.2010, 13:10

rip wrote:I was forced to have an Elise rear-light conversion last autumn after a touch of clumsiness. I liked the originals, complete with the 'plate cover, although I disliked the Renault electrics. I like my CF panel more than I thought I would & it is growing on me more all the time.

pics and details???......
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Gazza » Tue 02.02.2010, 14:44

Rippers

Thinking about it, your outside light has the outside half as a tail light and the inside light as a brake light. Correct?

They are made to be, outside half brake/tail light and inside half just tail light, you confused now? :lol:

Gazza
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Postby Monty » Tue 02.02.2010, 16:38

Gazza wrote:Rippers

Thinking about it, your outside light has the outside half as a tail light and the inside light as a brake light. Correct?

They are made to be, outside half brake/tail light and inside half just tail light, you confused now? :lol:

Gazza

i did think it was a bit odd when only one half was illuminated, wonder if it is possible to have both half light up when the brakes are applied as well as the tail light :?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby rip » Tue 02.02.2010, 18:27

I will probably look at the light fittings on Saturday, although I have always liked the idea of separate brake & tail lights.
Found a pic of the rear light panel on my phone.
Attachments
20112009083.jpg
CF rear panel
20112009083.jpg (36.71 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
Last edited by rip on Tue 02.02.2010, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
1990 SE
rip
God

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)