LOKI my long term project.... (help often needed)

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: LOKI my long term project.... (help often needed)

Postby MattDon » Tue 06.07.2010, 21:25

im soon to be the proud owner of a lovely azure s2, very exited. its a tighter squeeze than my SE, am i right in thinking that the S2 didnt have spacers under the seats? and if that is the case does that mean the seats are lower in the SE or is that the base has more give and at over 100kg my posterior is parcticaly touching the floor in my SE? short version is can i lower the seats would i need to fit SE seats?
please use email for contact
MattDon
God

Postby RayD » Tue 06.07.2010, 21:33

Congratulations Matt ... you don’t need to be changing the seats ... don’t be buggering about with it – just concentrate on reducing your vast array of spares.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby MattDon » Wed 07.07.2010, 01:13

your right ofcourse i dont want to bugger about with it, but with the seat right back i was driving with my head on one side, im proberly worrying about nothing but if tilting it doesnt help i will have to do something and either way the sun visors have to go. guess its not always good being 6'3"
MattDon
God

Postby RayD » Wed 07.07.2010, 08:17

I took the sun visor out on the first day.

I’m sure there’ll be a way to lower the seat, and you may be able to put an old one in while sorting it out.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby MattDon » Tue 13.07.2010, 22:17

so after a decent drive its showing fault 14 and 24, what happens is when at full throttle at high rpm the engine almost splutters, im thinking it could be a wastegate issue, but i realise the fault codes dont seem to be related to that at all, one is car speed sensor and the other is coolant temp. Also have a squeeling from the front and ive been told its the alternator, but it looks like theres no adjustment left, so could be a new belt, :cry: theres also a rattle from behind the cluster but im thats only at higher revs and shouldnt be hard to find and sort, oh and the speakers are not sounding too healthy. but other than that its a great car, looking forward to tidying it up when i get back home.
MattDon
God

Postby MattDon » Sun 25.07.2010, 20:06

did an elan scan run today, didnt get the engine check light issue which comes on under high load fairly often where the engine momentarily looses all power and splutter a little after, did a little digging and it seems alot like a fault someone had because there was an issue with the cas which involved sorting out the gap. the elan scan is showing a fault with the CAS and EST even without the issues above. If anyone would be good enough to have a look through the scan id be very greatful, apparently i cant attatch an ecu file and dont have exel so will need to email to you, unless theres another way?
MattDon
God

Postby MattDon » Sun 01.08.2010, 20:48

alternator belt replaced, PSPS sorted, wheels swapped, and the girlfriend was good enough to give it a quick wipe down. some days you feel like the luckiest person in the world.

luckyboy.jpg
luckyboy.jpg (29.21 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
MattDon
God

Postby MattDon » Tue 25.01.2011, 19:20

ok so it looks like i might have another addition to the family only this one isnt a lotus.... i may well have a mini me running around in the near future. giving very serious thought to my car collection. Dont know if i can bare to live without one running elan, but cant excuse having three of the things. i think im going to run the S2 for a while (hopefully the market will recover in the mean time) and i need to push on with the rebuild, cant bare to loose my first ever car so it going to be a ground up rebuild with a few tweeks as i go, ive got alot of ideas but im pretty sure if its going to be something special as im not going to have many excuses to run it, im thinking chrome orange, red leather interior, proberly going to down size the garrett turbo to the smaller option and aim for around 240hp while keeping away from bigger injectors etc. So its time to finish stripping the green car down and scrapping whats left, not sure just how much i need to give to the scrap yard so advice on that would be apriciated. Ive got a chassis to start with so it should just be a matter of building it up as i go then dropping the body on.... as easy as that lol. will try to get some artists impressions up and start a proper rebuild thread.
MattDon
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Wed 26.01.2011, 02:24

I had similar symptoms and the CEL was showing all sorts oc codes from the EGR to coolant sensor. I had a reasonably new CAS with the old style HES which I fitted 4 years ago. Turns out the HE'S failed sorta as it was sending odd readings like if the timing belt was loose. Changed out the HES last week, reset the ECU and all issues sorted. Be mindful when you install the new HES that the clearances are adequate. It's a much tighter fit than the old style units.

BTB. Brilliant looking car!!!!! :-D
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby RayD » Wed 26.01.2011, 10:10

MattDon wrote:... i may well have a mini me running around in the near future.

Congratulations Matt :cheers:

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby tomac1975 » Wed 26.01.2011, 18:34

Congrats, :-D :-D
tomac1975
Enthusiast

Postby MattDon » Wed 26.01.2011, 18:53

thanks lgm for the advice, will be taking this on soon.

Thankyou ray and tomac1975... its early days yet but we're booked in for a scan a week today. So fingers crossed all is well. :D

oh and one last question, if its a boy i think loki is a cool name, am i on my own? looking for something different.... oh how do you do polls, lol.
MattDon
God

Postby MattDon » Wed 23.02.2011, 22:34

just passing through again, no lotus news. but i did see my baby for the first time a few weeks ago, now that was a special moment. we're at about 15 weeks. :D

do you think a +2 evora comes with isofix child seat fittings? :twisted:
MattDon
God

Postby tigerdog » Thu 24.02.2011, 06:52

MattDon wrote:do you think a +2 evora comes with isofix child seat fittings? :twisted:

Yes. Yes. And Yes (click 3rd tab.)

Bring baby home in style!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby XiPHiAS » Wed 02.03.2011, 22:32

MattDon wrote:as promised... just wish the windows matched :twisted:

Do you have more pictures (compomotive wheels)
Does the wheels affect the handling comparing the original wheels?
Did hou have anough clearance for your bigbrakes?
Is the build quality worth the price?

I'm intrested in a set like yours ... Compomotive MO1673 4x100 ET53
1994 Lotus Elan S2 #131 // Lotus Elan M100 S2 Registry
http://www.lotusforum.be :: Benelux Lotus Community
25/05/2017 Ypres Lotus Day - International Lotus gathering & tour
XiPHiAS
Fanatic

Postby MattDon » Mon 18.04.2011, 15:45

wow, that would be SO COOL!!!! just need £60,000 odd to get my chrome orange evora S with flat black wheels. i wonder if i could get a remortgage.... :idea:

xiphias... not sure if its you who pm'd me but incase it wasnt... the answers are, not right now but i can take some more pics, cant say i noticed a change in handling over standard S2 wheels, but they were a MAJOR improvment over the 17's i had on the other car, lots of clearance for bigger brakes, the build quality is ace, compomotive are know mostly for motorsport. Id buy them again if i needed to.

ok back to me, my baby is now a boy and i going to be called loki.... but i have to change the name of my car because girlfriend doesnt like the idea of naming a baby after a car... (i didnt though) he's due sept 18th so im working my arse off trying to get everything done. And a part of that is getting my collection of lotuses sorted, the green one is all but done, the grey one i now in the garage and the blue one will be sold once the market improves or i get a good offer, but im in no hurry a it means no lotus driving until i finish off the project :( (almost forgot to mention im buying a family car or possibley two, thus i need to sell one of my flock :cry: )

this time im going to try to do a proper write up of the work, with pics and maybe video. its going to be a ground up rebuild with some tweeks, and i expect it going to take years to finish, mostly because of money or the lack thereof. going for repray in chrome orange, restyling the interior, and a few little tweeks on the outside, would also like a design a hardtop to suit but im guessing as its more of a plaything we'll see.

either way the first step has been taken....
Attachments
mountaintoclimb.jpg
mountaintoclimb.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
stepone.jpg
stepone.jpg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
MattDon
God

Postby MattDon » Mon 18.04.2011, 19:31

just put a depoit down on "the family" car. they seem good for what they are and you cant argure with 60mpg combined and road tax at £20 a year, its not an evora though...
bit sad this is the fourth car ive bought and the first one thats not a lotus. :shock:
Attachments
newwheelssml.jpg
newwheelssml.jpg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Last edited by MattDon on Sun 01.05.2011, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.
MattDon
God

Postby MattDon » Fri 22.04.2011, 21:22

the aygo has landed, ive got to say im impressed. 225 miles on £20 (at £1.41.9 a litre!!!) today, £20 anual road tax, quiet at motorway speeds, nippy enough, i actualy fit in the front and back, it even has aircon, and dare a say a slightly more interesting engine note than the elan. nice, but i still miss my elan.
MattDon
God

Postby MattDon » Sun 01.05.2011, 16:28

i finaly worked out what they meant by a bent rear axel on the BRG car... yep the chassi is bent, looks like it had a bad accident at some point, i found broken glass under the carpets, its got a new passanger door, a shoddy repair to the tub and the chassi is bent, although someone has fitted alot of new bits including wishbones, just aswell i didnt buy this to do up.
Attachments
brgdmg.jpg
top left two shots of chassi, top right windscreen crack, bottom left tub/boot repair and repainted (from blue) door, bottom right sills and broken glass
brgdmg.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
MattDon
God

Postby surfboardfiller » Thu 12.05.2011, 01:12

It looks like you have got a lot of corrosion in the foot well?
Have the outriggers corroded all the way back along the bottom edge?
surfboardfiller
God

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)