Mellow Yellow

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Mellow Yellow

Postby lotos » Thu 16.10.2008, 15:24

So I've had the Elan for ... well today is the sixth day.
Last edited by lotos on Wed 04.07.2018, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
lotos
God

Re: Mellow Yellow

Postby theelanman » Thu 16.10.2008, 15:52

all in the wrong order :-D :-D :-D :-D

1) Wilwood Brake upgrade for the front
2) Everest Chip
3) Possibly an exhaust if it's not too expensive or too loud
4) BOV for protection
5) Short Shift Kit
6) Pre-cat eliminator (or at least scooping out the ceramic)
7) Different Wheels
8) New stereo and speakers
9) Wind blocker
10) Rear light change to something else
11) Keyless entry
12) Possibly Dynamat everything for comfort's sake
13) Garage Door opener (maybe a Homelink button somewhere)
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby tigerdog » Fri 17.10.2008, 00:02

Blair is right - do something to the brakes first. Next, I'd do the BOV, then exhaust, then Everest myself. BOV protects turbo from boost-stall on throttle close, exhaust allows more air through the engine, everest makes more boost, so increases chance of boost-stall and shoves more air into the engine, which must then get out. If you do the PCE, take the turbo off and port the wastegate while you're there; reduces the risk of boost creep. Of course, everyone's priorities differ! :)
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Doc Fizzix » Fri 17.10.2008, 04:24

Randy

There is one thing left off the list that you need to do before anything else and that is change that 17 year old timing belt. When I was looking at the car I saw some crystalizing of the belts with is a sign of aging, do not risk it!

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13406
Saving the world with science!
Doc Fizzix
God

Postby Monty » Fri 17.10.2008, 11:24

Would have to agree, Brakes 1st :wink:

BTW the car looks good in your AVATAR
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Dave Eds » Fri 17.10.2008, 12:16

Minor point -

tigerdog wrote:Blair is right

but not always, as this time he is Gareth! :-D
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Sy V » Fri 17.10.2008, 12:46

The Doc's the only one who is right IMVHO.
If it's been sat for 10 years the Cam Belt needs changing.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Jackonicko » Fri 17.10.2008, 13:34

Belts and water pump IMSLHO

and tyres if they're six years old or more.
Jackonicko

Postby lotos » Sat 18.10.2008, 02:33

All of that certainly puts me out of my depth... Would you recommend I source all of my own parts first and them bring them to a mechanic?
lotos
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 18.10.2008, 04:48

step one is get the timing belt/water pump done. Don't worry about anything else til you get this service completed. A BOV, chip or an exhaust wont' do anything for a blown motor.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby lotos » Sat 18.10.2008, 15:57

Sounds right to me - where's the best place to source new belts, hoses, and water pump? I figure while a mechanic is there I should do the hoses too...
lotos
God

Postby Doc Fizzix » Sat 18.10.2008, 16:30

There is always the high priced Dave Bean for all your Lotus Elan part needs: http://www.davebean.com

BUT

I like to get my parts from St. Charles Auto, they are an Isuzu dealer and the parts are Isuzu orignal and they exact same part you would get from Lotus but will cost you only half the price. It is funny that Lotus will sell you the same part but they re-package the part in a Lotus box or bag but the parts will still say Isuzu all over them. Our motor is the same as the 91 Isuzu Impulse RS (Turbo)
http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/Department-Parts.aspx
Ask for Merlin (like the Wizard), tell him I sent you, he'll give you 15% off parts and free shipping.
Doc Fizzix
God

Postby tigerdog » Sat 18.10.2008, 20:15

Dave Eds wrote:Minor point -

Ongoing point - Tigerdog is wrong. What do you expect from an old grey dog??? :)
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby tigerdog » Sat 18.10.2008, 20:22

lotos wrote:I figure while a mechanic is there I should do the hoses too...

Hoses come from Samco, ordered via James at Amber Performance in the UK. Details of the development of the hose set are in this thread and this. The Fed set needs a little fiddling to make everything go together and there is one hose (lower left-side radiator double-90) that Samco have not been able to duplicate.
tigerdog
God

Postby Dave Eds » Sat 18.10.2008, 20:27

tigerdog wrote:
Dave Eds wrote:Minor point -

Ongoing point - Tigerdog is wrong. What do you expect from an old grey dog??? :)

No worries Bruce! :-D
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Doc Fizzix » Sat 18.10.2008, 21:01

lotos wrote:All of that certainly puts me out of my depth... Would you recommend I source all of my own parts first and them bring them to a mechanic?

Do you have some friends that are good with cars and can pass on their knowledge to you? The more you can learn to do now on your own will make for a more positive experience owning a Lotus and save you a ton on money. I would hate to ask home much a timing belt change would be at a dealership, my own personal pleasure about owning a Lotus is tinkering with the car and doing all the work myself. I love getting the tools out and toughing them to the car, it is also even more exciting when I find-out that I do not have a tool that is needed and I get to buy something new. You get started by just doing, many time people do not know where to start or they are just afraid that they might get started and screw something up but you have to get over that fear and just do it :D It is such a rush when you finish a job and everything is back together, finishing one job builds your confidence and gives you more experience to tackle the next job.
Doc Fizzix
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Sat 18.10.2008, 21:33

Doc Fizzix wrote:
lotos wrote:All of that certainly puts me out of my depth... Would you recommend I source all of my own parts first and them bring them to a mechanic?

Do you have some friends that are good with cars and can pass on their knowledge to you? The more you can learn to do now on your own will make for a more positive experience owning a Lotus and save you a ton on money. I would hate to ask home much a timing belt change would be at a dealership, my own personal pleasure about owning a Lotus is tinkering with the car and doing all the work myself. I love getting the tools out and toughing them to the car, it is also even more exciting when I find-out that I do not have a tool that is needed and I get to buy something new. You get started by just doing, many time people do not know where to start or they are just afraid that they might get started and screw something up but you have to get over that fear and just do it :D It is such a rush when you finish a job and everything is back together, finishing one job builds your confidence and gives you more experience to tackle the next job.

There are things I simply won't attempt myself, and if it's inexpensive, I'll usually let somebody else do it. That being said, the big secret in the auto repair world is that most of the stuff they do isn't brain surgery. Example: I always though brake maintenance was something I couldn't do, but then I decided to do a brake pad change myself. When I got into it, all I could think was, "Why was I paying all that money for somebody to do this?"

When I first got my Elan, I had the timing belt changed first thing. As it turned out, I had cracked the thermostat housing, so I needed that too. I took it to my normal import mechanic, who had been the guy I usually took my Impulse to, and had him change all the belts, put in the new stat housing and stat, and replace the crank pulley. I don't remember off the top of my head how much it cost me, but it wasn't bad at all. I figured if the guy could work on the Isuzu, with the same engine, why not the Lotus?? Also, I sourced all the parts myself first, and I took him a copy of the manuals on disc. I had to get the stat housing and pulley from Dave Bean, but the belts are the same as the Impluse, so you can get them anywhere.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby Doc Fizzix » Sun 19.10.2008, 00:10

I definitely agree with you, an Isuzu mechanic would also be able to do the job without problem. With my wife's car I always take it to the Acura dealer but part of the reason I love my Elan is that I like to do the work myself, it is my hobby and my way of relaxing.
Doc Fizzix
God

Postby lotos » Sun 19.10.2008, 01:15

I think I'll start collecting parts and then do lots of replacement stuff at once, to play it safe and all that. I'm wondering about seals/gaskets I should consider replacing? Or sensors? It's all greek to me, honestly. Feel free to recommend more items to this list:

timing belt
tensioner
idler
water pump
as many hoses as I can get my hands on
lotos
God

Postby nitroman » Sun 19.10.2008, 01:42

Randy, as I live in humid Florida I leave an 8" fan running inside the car whenever it is home. I also leave a box fan on facing the car to keep air moving underneath it. I think that's the next best thing to putting it into one of those "cacoon" wraps; which make it a major pain to get to or drive the car.
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Next

Return to Projects - Car (Major)