Mellow Yellow

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: Mellow Yellow

Postby algirdas » Tue 30.06.2009, 23:06

Dear Randy:

That was a good event. It was the first time on the track for my car as well. The Wilwoods bit like mad. No sign of fade whatsover. But the braking feel was not as smooth as with a smooth disc (mine are cross drilled and slotted and have warped and been cut once already). I'll see how they feel on the ride down to the meeting tonight.

I found myself braking WAY too early for the turns. Since I have the Wilwoods with the too big pucks up front I was ever so careful not to get on them too hard. I hope to get her out there for one more track day this summer or a test and tune day. I need to check the alignment before I do that though.

Sincerely,

Algirdas
Noli illegitemi carborundum.
algirdas

Postby lotos » Sun 22.11.2009, 23:32

In the meantime I've still got lots of memorabilia to collect :-D
Last edited by lotos on Wed 04.07.2018, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
lotos
God

Postby lotos » Thu 27.05.2010, 04:05

My how time flies! I've barely driven the Elan for months... sad... but, I've got time allotted this weekend with my mechanic buddy to finally install the shifter kit and cables!
lotos
God

Postby lotos » Sat 29.05.2010, 23:02

Well we got the short-shift installed, (took about 2.5 hours) and it's awesome! So glad I got this upgrade.... I'll run the stock cables a while longer before I switch them out, we were overheating in the 100° heat today so this was it for today.

Wrenching on your car sure makes you appreciate and love it more.
lotos
God

Postby lotos » Sun 03.04.2011, 18:44

Wow - a year since my last update here! Well, I've got loads of parts to go on the car, like the brake kit and stainless lines from Bob, steering wheel and adapter from bob, Everest chip, rear light panel from Marie, and the shift cables.... but with a baby almost here and a probably move in the next 90 days, priorities take shape I guess.

We went for our first drive in what seems like forever yesterday and it was terrific. I love this car! My very pregnant wife joked that this was the last trip the baby would take for a few years.

My main gripe is that I don't trust my fellow man enough to leave the top down when I park, and I abhor futzing with the top so often. Which is why I'm still going to buy the rain cape and hopefully I can throw that on faster and easier than putting up the top, and keep prying eyes and hands away.

And I am still going to replace the stereo.

So... some project looming but I'm positive about it all. The car's got a bright future :burnout:
Last edited by lotos on Thu 14.07.2016, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
lotos
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 03.04.2011, 23:31

Good to hear!!! Blower should be easy. I'll bet it has some debris in it. Few bolts at the base and it puls out easy enough. Dump out the drap and good to go.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby Elanlover » Mon 04.04.2011, 08:09

lotos wrote:... And I am still going to replace the stereo.

I´ve got a top of the line (just before their F1 Status line) Alpine head unit in mint condition that I´ve got sitting around after my Nav system went in if you´re interested. :-D

Great news on the car though. The baby´s going to love it when he/she gets it from you in 18 years :-D
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby lotos » Fri 30.03.2012, 18:03

What a difference a baby makes! Have barely touched the Elan lately. What a shame. Well, the warm weather has sparked the fire in me again!

Hope everyone's doing well! It's been odd not coming to the forum for so long.
Last edited by lotos on Wed 04.07.2018, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
lotos
God

Postby tigerdog » Fri 30.03.2012, 23:47

Congratulations on the baby! The car will wait for you but your child will grow up whether you're engaged or not... so ignoring the car is the right thing to do. Besides, in a few years s/he will be under the bonnet with you. And small arms and hands can fix Elan bits in places that we adults could only dream of reaching. :-)
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Elanlover » Sat 31.03.2012, 13:57

Pretty sure that, with a little customization, you can fit a baby seat inbetween the main seats right above the arm rest storage lid. Makes it harder to access the baby wipes though if you keep them there.
Elanlover

Postby tigerdog » Sun 01.04.2012, 04:53

Or maybe install one of these will provide the appropriate level of lateral support for brisk Elan cornering:
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 01.04.2012, 09:22

Congrats!

(Pics or it didn't happen!)
You just described what the year to come will be fo me! 2nd of May Susanna has planned family expansion for us.
I hope the car won't be in the garage for that long and i'll visit the form once in a while (this will cost me my god status :lol: )

I'll see ifi can get an iso-fix between the seats :agree: :clap:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby nitroman » Mon 02.04.2012, 22:28

No way. I hereby repurpose this product for my own financial gain. Please belt it directly to the driver's seat.

OUR MAGAZINE ADD:

Are you short? A runt? A punk? Do you have a freakishly small bum?
Tired of being stuck in your high-chair whilst your chums briskly circle the track around you?
Your time is finally nigh you pathetic little wisp of a man.
Yes, we are introducing what only YEARS of testing (on babies) could have perfected,
The Sports Poop Seat.
Now you too need not let a complete lack of talent, coordination, and bowel control stand in your way.
Equipped with only this safety seat & a functoning airbag you too technically qaulify to risk life & limb,
And probably will do humanity (those who live on without you) a big favor.
Don't forget to fill your seat time & again with brown terror each time you see your life flash before your eyes.
Think of your magnificent garden this spring!

Remember the motivational motto of the "Sports Poop Seat" sales team... "Just bring our money."

P.S. Don't forget "Sports Poop Seat's" newest product, the "Rollickin' Rollbar." Other, more experienced companies may tell you that your roll-bar can't, or even shouldn't be made of a particular product. We at "Rollickin' Rollbar", proud maker of "Sports Poop Seats", think our six minutes in the industry count for something, and are willing to put your lives on the line. If it can be welded, or even taped together using only 3M duct tape, we at "Rollickin' Rollbar" are ready to make your dream a reality. Call us, while you still can.
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Postby lotos » Tue 03.04.2012, 19:00

The wife has deemed that no child of hers will be sitting in the Elan until they can sit forward-facing in a car seat (so minimum one year, perhaps a bit longer)....

The last time my wife was in it, she was very pregnant and we had a funny moment thinking that this was likely the last time we'd be in the car together for a year.
lotos
God

Postby lotos » Fri 05.10.2012, 17:07

After not really driving the car much for a while, I finally wrangled a mechanic buddy to help me with a few tasks - Bob's brake upgrade, stainless brake lines, and an oil change (Mobil 1 10W-40, Mobil 1 filter). First step was taking a nice long drive to reacquaint myself with an old friend. After an hour, I love this car more than ever.

Holy Bajesus, they really did not think about providing access to that oil filter!! I can't imagine doing this job without a lift. :shock: :shock: I've always had the tiniest of oil leaks, which I assumed with just a bit of leaking through the gasket, but perhaps the previous filter just wasn't fully tightened. Who knows. Anyway, 3.5 quarts of new lifeblood in the engine, big rotors, and an uneventful drive home at 40 degrees (top down, heater on high) in pitch black night.

After I'm confident with the brakes, I'll finally install the Mountain Chip I bought so many moons ago. That only leaves the Elise steering wheel, AB shift cables, Marie's rear light panel with Elise lights, a new stereo, doing something about the horrific sun visors, maybe some seat heaters (maybe some S2000 seats?), the beautiful rollbars and tonneau hoops imported from Europe from someone... It's a long list. I'm also thinking about going totally geek and doing digital gauges (pipe dream there).
Last edited by lotos on Wed 04.07.2018, 02:27, edited 2 times in total.
lotos
God

Postby lotos » Tue 09.10.2012, 02:30

The speakers are not great.
Last edited by lotos on Wed 04.07.2018, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
lotos
God

Postby lotos » Fri 06.09.2013, 22:28

Removed personal information.
Attachments
photo.jpg
New baby boy
Last edited by lotos on Wed 04.07.2018, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
lotos
God

Postby superbad » Fri 06.09.2013, 23:44

Don't forget to tell the 16 year old the front wheels are driven, then watch them, because they'll still put the wrong axle on the rollers. And congratulations on the baby!
superbad
Fanatic

Postby lotos » Sat 10.05.2014, 19:15

Took the car out to a local Cars&Coffee this morning, and after getting out realized the car really needs a bath! Oh well, it was fun anyhow. Then FINALLY took my daughter (3 years old in 2 weeks) out in the Elan! It's been a long time comin'

lotos
God

Postby Elanlover » Sat 10.05.2014, 21:26

She looks GREAT in the passenger's seat.

I'll bet you are rueing the day when she asks to sit in the DRIVER'S seat! :-D
Elanlover

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)