Interior Makeover

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Interior Makeover

Postby Elanlover » Sun 17.11.2013, 18:11

dapinky wrote:If you need power to operate the handbrake, then there is always an element of 'power failure' (either sudden - fuse? - or not-so-sudden - flat battery) to exist, but i can't really see it as a problem for most people. - Perhaps a second power feed (fused) directly from the battery (or elsewhere), through a 'hidden' switch will overcome the 'unexpected' failure bit????....................

..........As far as the need to have the footbrake on to dissengage the handbrake, living on a hill, it is an everyday occurrence that i need to do a hill-start. If i want to drive away, I only have 2 feet, so can't see how I can have the right revs to pull away, whilst holding the clutch at the biting point, and still manage to operate the footbrake to get power to the handbrake - unless I'm missing something?.......

.....Personally, I'd favour an electrical feed NOT from the footbrake, but that's just MY preference - and easily overcome if/when I do the installation

Missed anything? Just that in what I've suggested regarding the "foot-on-the-brake" would only be required to engage the handbrake. Nothing would be required to disengage other than pushing the switch. So, I'm thinking that takes care of your hill start issue in that you'd use clutch and accelerator with your feet and just hit the brake button causing the brake to release over a second or so. I'm thinking (imagining really since I don't use the handbrake for hill holding) that the ebrake would actually make this whole process much easier then grabbing the lever - just hit a button.

I don't know how you'd ever overcome the flat battery issue on an electronic brake really. I'm sure it applies to most cars with them. I've just read on a Subaru forum that their manual says that in the event of a low battery the parking brake can't be applied nor released. If we wanted to get real fancy you could add a very small battery with enough juice to operate the brake once or twice I suppose.

Not sure anyone knows about this auto adjustment nor pays any attention to it. I certainly would ignore it and, if necessary, just incorporate a few flicks of the ebrake button from time to time to deal with it as you've suggested. As for the "safety" being from the brake switch its all I could think of right now as a way to ensure you're not driving down the road when some dumb passenger (or better half - or child even) says "What's this?" and hits the button causing untold amounts of grief. I figured that "one" way of preventing that would be to have your foot on the brake first (likely not going too fast in that case). But, it could be ANYTHING that makes sense of course and I'd love to hear alternatives. I had also though about the need to hold the button down for a second or two as a safety feature as well.

GeoffSmith wrote: ............Your switch needs to be two position like the window switches rather than the pushbutton type you've shown Blair.

Surely there are two cases to consider: You need to be able to activate the brake even with ignition switched off and you could use the VSS output to disable it to avoid accidentally applying it if the car is moving, although if your brakes fail you might regret this feature! Conversely, I think you should only be able to release the brake with the ignition switched on.

What I was thinking of using was a latching SPDT switch with an LED to light when the brake is engaged. I like the latching strictly as an additional visual indicator that the brake is engaged (like if the battery's dead). What I've seen so far from manufacturers of these actuators is control through a rocker switch with each position (2 position switch) moving the actuator in different directions. All the actuators I've seen so far control the motion simply by reversing polarity. to the 2 wires on the actuator which would be what the rocker switch does of course. I've seen some that are also momentary rockers that make you hold the button down the whole time to extend or retract the actuator but I don't think we want that at all. I can't think of a case when you want only partial application of the brakes but, if so, it would be easy to use this switch (ugly as it is) instead of the nice LED one I'm looking into.

Activating the brake with ignition off would have to be the case for sure. Another thing to potentially draw down the battery but at least there's no draw when the actuator is at rest- only while in motion. I agree about the VSS being problematic. There may also be a case where your brakes outright fail and all you have is the handbrake button. I could have the engineer I've used before (and who I would turn to for the window switch project) create a module that could sense the vss signal and then add a delay (if the car's moving) of a few seconds before activation as a safety measure (gives you a few seconds to slap the hand of the offender and hit the button again). The other thing, which could be the easiest to do, is to simply locate it in a out-of-the-way place so no one can get at it or recess it (as I might do) just to make it so you can't hit it accidentally.

Again, ideas welcome!
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sun 17.11.2013, 18:39

Here's something I just read on another site. The ebrake can't be activated if you have your foot on the gas. That might be the best one yet as it doesn't involve the vss. Releasing doesn't come into play as there would be no restrictions on release (other than perhaps what Geoff suggested - ignition on) but you'd have to have your foot OFF the gas to activate the brake.

Anyone know how'd we'd sense that?

Also, thinking about the extra battery idea in case the main battery dies - I'll bet a basic stereo system capacitor would do the trick and they are relatively cheap too.

EDIT: Forget the cap. Its doesn't get much cheaper than this.
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sat 30.11.2013, 22:56

Ok folks, I'm looking for some opinions here; specifically on the design of a new centre console. So, assuming the handbrake handle is gone there will be some space to fill and I'm debating in my own mind how best to do this. There will definitely be some space where the indent to grab the handbrake lever is now. Since the "hump" where the handbrake lever disappears into will be removed there could be a fair amount of space to use up. Also, I'm hoping to run a console of sorts all the way up the bulkhead wall as in the picture below.

2014-Jaguar-F-Type-V-6-center-console[1].jpg
2014-Jaguar-F-Type-V-6-center-console[1].jpg (24.89 KiB) Viewed 1605 times

For the area near the gearshift and where the indent is now on the SE version I was thinking about the following possibilities:

1) Make an elongated depression that could be used as a sstorage tray of sorts and could be used to loosely hold an iPod, cell phone, etc. This could be lined with a rubber tray for grip and anything you store there will be out in the open.

2) Make cupholders out of this area. I'm not sure about this at all given that here is only about 1.5 inches of depth available so "cupholders" might be more like "cupthrowers" as they won't be deep enough to actually hold a cup. Also, they will certainly be in the way during gear shifts.

3) Make a depression for storage but source a stock cover that can be used to close the opening and conceal things from view. Not theft proof by any sense but perhaps better and a cover will present a flater surface for your arms. Something like this.

With regard to the console section running up the bulkhead wall I'm thinking the options include:

1) A foldout cupholder. This will make drinks less accessible but out of the way when driving.

2) A stowage section with a door or tray. There will likely be only 10 inches of height available so a foldout door (like the pic above) will preclude the addition of a cupholder in that area. A push to open tray could work and provide space for an iPod, etc.

3) A "slot" of sorts that could perhaps do duty similar to that of the map pocket (which would have to go) that would be in behind the cupholder or tray (or whatever). Alternatively, that slot could be used to drop in an iPod into a cradle albeit still exposed to view I prefer to have mine out of view if possible).

What do people think about these ideas?
Elanlover

Postby Doug » Sun 21.12.2014, 05:34

updates??

more pics... :smt039
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Elanlover » Sun 21.12.2014, 21:24

Doug wrote:updates??

You're asking ME for updates?

Where have you been hiding out lately and when will another Lotus end up in your garage? :poke:

As for this project Its a big one and its not going to be done over this winter. I'm working on a front bumper modification instead (new acrylic enclosed led modules for DRL/turn lights in the front, front fogs, slightly modified front markers, new grills and possibly new DOT approved LED headlights). So, this project is taking a back seat right now. However, I continue to research it and I'm comfortable with the notion of getting a linear actuator to pull the handbrake cable instead of doing it manually along with having a module built to control the electronics. I had a piece of plastic cut to get a sense of what a new centre console/tunnel cover would look like and I believe that can work. I sourced an old Toyota MR2 part that would sit on top of the tunnel cover and run up the back of the bulkhead wall. That's only as an idea source - a custom one out of plastic or fibreglass would need to built. I've also sourced cupholders and other peripheral items. Plus, I've decided that in order to make it all look good and appear stock (as opposed to after market) I'll need to remove and cover the dash with leather to match the new centre console covering I would have done and have the door cards, b posts and rear rail dyed black. Thus the "big project" tag.

So, the concept is slowly coming together but I won't even consider beginning until winter of next year.
Elanlover

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 22.12.2014, 20:08

Elanlover wrote:
Doug wrote:updates??

You're asking ME for updates?

Where have you been hiding out lately and when will another Lotus end up in your garage? :poke:

As for this project Its a big one and its not going to be done over this winter. I'm working on a front bumper modification instead (new acrylic enclosed led modules for DRL/turn lights in the front, front fogs, slightly modified front markers, new grills and possibly new DOT approved LED headlights). So, this project is taking a back seat right now. However, I continue to research it and I'm comfortable with the notion of getting a linear actuator to pull the handbrake cable instead of doing it manually along with having a module built to control the electronics. I had a piece of plastic cut to get a sense of what a new centre console/tunnel cover would look like and I believe that can work. I sourced an old Toyota MR2 part that would sit on top of the tunnel cover and run up the back of the bulkhead wall. That's only as an idea source - a custom one out of plastic or fibreglass would need to built. I've also sourced cupholders and other peripheral items. Plus, I've decided that in order to make it all look good and appear stock (as opposed to after market) I'll need to remove and cover the dash with leather to match the new centre console covering I would have done and have the door cards, b posts and rear rail dyed black. Thus the "big project" tag.

So, the concept is slowly coming together but I won't even consider beginning until winter of next year.

shall we assume "Winter next Year" to be january ? :poke:

Would it be too much to ask for a bunch of pics of everything you done? including dash and so on ? i agree the elan interior looks dated and i want to improve it while looking stock. however not sure where to start, all i know if my budget is very limited compared to most LEC'ers im thinking gaiters in green leather and gear knob for a start.. but ill update that in my own little corner.

I would like to see more of your car to get a better idea of whats there and how it looks.
1991 elan se ongoing project
1991 elan se blue off road project
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner
1998 celica SR (off the road)

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Mon 22.12.2014, 20:27

More like 2016 :-D

The biggest interior project I did was a complete remake of the fascia. It probably should have been in this thread but I did it as a separate one here. I will, of course, post pics for all the work that gets done. :bananasex:
Elanlover

Postby Doug » Tue 23.12.2014, 06:25

Hey Blair,

I can sadly say no Lotuses in my garage these days. I did just get back a turbo car with a 6 speed manual; I haven't been driving a manual car regularly for the last 3 years. I can say it has put fun back into driving for me. I have been driving a Chevy Volt regularly for the last 3 years--not a true automatic as it has only 1 speed :wink: The Volt has a lever/button actuated parking brake, which works great---it also releases automatically if you press the throttle when the brake is applied and the car is in a moving gear--which works well if you want to just use the e brake for short stops here and there; I just brought it up to get you thinking about that detail; I'm sure the drive-by-wire helps as it's all in the programming...

-Doug :cheers:
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Elanlover » Thu 09.06.2016, 23:00

Well, we're not going to do the electronic e-brake. Its a lot of work, expense and risk. One of the benefits of doing it would have been a new centre console but I've found another way to achieve this. I've just had the door cards (and lock buttons, etc.), B post covers, door sills and rear rail dyed black. I picked them up today and they look fantastic - they did an excellent job. As for the centre console, I've order a black leather cover with red stitch for it, the A posts, the header rail and the entire dash from JF Boots. I also had the custom sill plates clear anodized so I don't have to treat them every year.

I'll post pics when it all starts getting reinstalled. I'm up to my eyeballs in it now :bonk:
Elanlover

Postby simonbuk » Wed 07.09.2016, 20:24

Impressive seats and I like the lighting improvement. Thanks to this thread I realise I do actually have some interior lighting by means of the switches under the rear view mirror.

I never realised they were there !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Previous

Return to Projects - Car (Major)