Project Black

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Project Black

Postby par » Wed 22.02.2017, 22:25

Jamie N wrote:Nice work as usual Stephen, I will be up this weekend for closer examination!, got some goodies for you as well 8) .

I'm hoping its going to be off those axle stands at last!.

You are welcome anytime Jamie. It now sits on its own 4 wheels and even been out on the road again :D
par
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Fri 24.02.2017, 01:29

Murray Lotus, Sunday 5th, it is their annual coffee morning . Always a 100 Lotus parked outside, Archie always there with his latest Esprit, and Capt Stevo riding shotgun. And the rest of the Lotus Ecosee Group Scotland. Come along .
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby par » Sun 05.03.2017, 17:24

As to be expected 26 years worth of drips into the under carpet foam specially chosen for its ability to hold the water against the vulnerable metal material of the outriggers has had some effect.

Passenger side was pretty solid with a few patches of surface rust and a hole about the size of a 20p piece which was cut back and plated over. The drivers side was bit more worse for wear and once the rust had been cut out out was beyond just patching so a whole front section was fabricated and welded & bonded in place.

I am afraid a bit of Lotus heritage was sacrificed as 1.8mm Zintec was used which definitely did not add lightness compared to the original Lotus material but should add strength. All the surfaces inside and out were treated to a couple of coats of rust converter, really pleased to find all four jacking points in good condition, otherwise the cost of the welding/fabrication would have been more than the curry and beers I now owe my cousin :D :-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 05.03.2017, 17:31

I applied a couple of coats of black POR15 to protect the outriggers against future water ingress and then doused all the inner cavities with Waxoyl using a length of tubing to get to all the nooks & crannies:-

par
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Mon 06.03.2017, 08:22

8) great work we should all be doing this or have already done so :!:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby par » Mon 06.03.2017, 11:55

Steve A wrote:8) great work we should all be doing this or have already done so :!:

Thanks! I am really impressed with the POR15 paint, its not particularly cheap but I believe it offers a very strong level of protection in the vulnerable areas. I inherited the grey paint used on the other areas of the chassis but bought the black version to do the outriggers as a better match, not that anyone is likely to see it once the carpets have been fitted :)
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Mon 13.03.2017, 21:13

Fitted some new closed cell foam sound deadening before refitting the carpet and seat. I have only done the drivers side so far and was surprised how noisy the passenger side is with nothing fitted when I took the car out for a short run:-

Also decided to go for the single wiper mod which I think is more aesthetically pleasing (the fussy crooked wiper arm on the passenger side has always bugged me). Having now seen how simple it is to fit and even easier to return to stock I cant see any reason not to try it. You can even choose if you want it parked in the middle of the screen or flat to the bottom when not in use to suit your own preference. Might have to think about the the clear indicator lenses to complete the McLaren F1 look :D

par
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Mon 13.03.2017, 21:20

looking good ... Does the wiper stay in the up position ?
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Elanlover » Mon 13.03.2017, 21:52

clemo wrote:looking good ... Does the wiper stay in the up position ?

Wiper erection?
:bananasex:
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Rambo » Mon 13.03.2017, 22:07

You can get it to stay in either the up position or the down position

I think Stephen and Jamie the seal have configured theirs to be in the up position. Jamie sorted mine to be in the down position
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby par » Tue 14.03.2017, 00:14

clemo wrote:looking good ... Does the wiper stay in the up position ?

Yes I have decided to try it parked in the up position for now.
I thought it might be distracting in the centre position but in the short run I had didnt find it so, but I cant stress how easy it is to change it to park in the bottom position or even return to stock if you keep the old wiper arms.

I think Jamie N has a few of these kits still available and as usual he supplies good fitting instructions - basically if you can drill 1 hole and use a spanner and a pair of pliers it wont take long to install.
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Wed 24.05.2017, 22:58

Nothing major to add as I intend to keep the car on the road as much as possible during the drier months.

I have tried to keep to the spirit of Lotus and add some lightness by ditching the grossly heavy CD player stereo and replaced it with a far lighter USB/Ipod Stereo complete with DAB, I think I can feel the difference from a standing start :wink: I also took the opportunity to take a feed from the clock so the stereo now only comes on with the ignition rather than being permanently live.

Unfortunately I had to add some additional weight back on by fitting a DAB aerial, not as neat as it could have been as I hadnt noticed I had cut my hand on the stereo cage and managed to trap some of my DNA between the film and the windscreen :roll:

Digital reception has been very good to date.
par
Fanatic

Postby G UK » Tue 08.08.2017, 21:39

You're embarrasing me and Blackie with the great Job you are doing.

You will have to make her special edition No.2
Lets end the Stigma https://www.mind.org.uk/

https://gridcoin.ddns.net
Gridcoin: S4FDVBgDBUDhq2j5DQE4pkK786uJYnEmDo
Bitshares: g-uk https://wallet.bitshares.org
G UK
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Thu 18.01.2018, 20:48

You took out that good CD player I installed :shock:
DAB is good for Radio 6 mind you.

Any updates over the winter ? Look forward to seeing Black Beastie again .
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby par » Fri 19.01.2018, 01:00

Scott J wrote:You took out that good CD player I installed :shock:
DAB is good for Radio 6 mind you.

Any updates over the winter ? Look forward to seeing Black Beastie again .

The CD player has found a good home in my Honda CRX.

Winter updates this year are replacing the door weather seals and refurbishing the window mechanism parts. Passenger side is done and halfway through the drivers side - manflu has held up recent progress but should get back to it soon. Then it is just the remaining part of the chassis (the centre section)to be wire brushed, rust treated and sealed with POR15 to be ready for sun making an appearance!
par
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Fri 19.01.2018, 10:28

[/quote] ready for sun making an appearance![/quote]

Really!, who told you that?, I think you have been on those fake news sites Steven :D .
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Rambo » Fri 19.01.2018, 11:23

The sun is out in God's border country 8) 8)

Despite the snow, I'm heading down to Craster, Beadnell and Seahouses in yellow custard later today :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 15:36

Time to update this thread with this winters work.

Having done the front and rear sections of the chassis the previous two winters it was time to do the remaining centre section which didnt look too bad but had a few rough edges:-

First task was to remove all the old underseal which revealed in most areas it had done a good job of protection:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 15:43

Wire brushes were called into action to remove as much of the scale as possible:-

Followed by a couple of coats of Metalmorphosis rust treatment:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 15:50

Next a couple of coats of POR15 paint was applied (this stuff can get a bit messy when you are lying underneath a car and painting above you) try to avoid getting any on your skin or hair:-

Then a couple of coats of Stonechip and then 2 coats of Underseal were applied:-

par
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)