Project Black

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Project Black

Postby Scott J » Fri 08.06.2018, 12:13

Another great addition. :D
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby par » Tue 03.07.2018, 20:39

Got fed up of the door carpet flopping about so I decided to make up more rigid door card inserts for that area. Inspired by the method used by Pinky and others I used 3mm ply with some Peugeot door popper fixings I had leftover from a previous car:-

I had it trimmed in alcantara along with the upper door insert:-

par
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Tue 03.07.2018, 21:46

That looks really nice. Great job :D
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Wed 04.07.2018, 09:23

So Pugs are actually good for something eh! . You need to give that Alcantara trimmer some credit too, she's done a lovely job :D .
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby par » Wed 04.07.2018, 23:31

Jamie N wrote:So Pugs are actually good for something eh! . You need to give that Alcantara trimmer some credit too, she's done a lovely job :D .

Trimming had to be outsourced due to non-functional sewing machine, suggestion to do it by hand was not well received :D
par
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Fri 06.07.2018, 17:59

Mrs J now sews professionally, 37 hrs a week, I'll send her round lol .
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby par » Fri 06.07.2018, 23:46

Scott J wrote:Mrs J now sews professionally, 37 hrs a week, I'll send her round lol .

Can she sew a clutch together :D
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 05.08.2018, 19:29

As the clutch had started to slip I read up on the suitable kits and it appears the SACHS K7004701 from Rock Auto is the right fit for the Elan SE Turbo so ordered one of these kits:-

Set about removing the gearbox pretty much following the excellent guide on here put together by Alan Head. Found the inside of the bell housing to gunged up with old clutch dust mixed with oil that had found its way past the flywheel tin plate guard:-

Gave the gearbox a good clean and scrub up before fitting the new clutch:-

Discovered the alignment tool had got broken when the Fedex gently threw the clutch kit over the back gate when no-one was in, had to use an old drill bit and superglue to fix it:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 05.08.2018, 19:49

New clutch was fitted including the new thrust bearing:-

Gearbox refitted and refilled with 1.9 litres of GL-4 oil, the old oil was still clear and in good condition as it had been changed not too long ago:-

Refitted the prongeron and driveshafts and re-bolted everything back together. Started the car while still on the axle stands and tested all the gears engaged properly with the clutch after removing and refitting the gear cable selector ends. All good except the clutch pedal had a lot of free play before it disengaged due to the cable needing adjusted as to be expected. What I didnt expect was the threaded adjuster part of the clutch cable to be made of plastic which after 27 years had become very brittle and fragile and even after careful cleaning and many doses of PlusGas and Rusteeze just crumbled when trying to free the adjusting nut :banghead:

So now waiting on a new clutch cable which in hindsight is not a bad thing having had a clutch cable snap on another car I have always been wary on the Lotus as the cable will be 27 years old and seen a number of cycles over 170,000 miles!
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 30.09.2018, 16:16

Just bringing this thread up to date.

After deciding that to swap over the old & new clutch cable was looking like having to remove half the contents of the engine bay and seeking a 2nd opinion from Jamie N we went down the route of only swapping over the bits needed. So the adjuster part (which is now metal) and damper bushings from the new cable assembly was fitted to the old clutch cable and then adjusted to suit:-

The car now drives with a smooth clutch operation and more importantly doesn't slip if using more than half throttle :D
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 30.09.2018, 16:27

Car was left with Jamie to have a complete set of seals fitted:

Jamie went above and beyond and actually made parts of the seals bespoke to the particular variances of the hood, windscreen surround and door window alignment on my Elan. This made to measure approach and the patience to fit everything exactly paid off with the finished results:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 30.09.2018, 16:32

There was also a little surprise left for me when I picked up the car, it had acquired a new handbrake assembly. Not only does it look fresher, it doesn't have a moving handgrip part that twists when pulling on and the operation & engagement is a lot more positive:

par
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Projects - Car (Major)