Project Black

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Project Black

Postby Giniw » Mon 09.05.2016, 13:27

par wrote:I still dont have everything lined up correctly yet :roll:
Do you imply it was all perfect before? :-D
Giniw
God

Postby chrisP » Mon 09.05.2016, 16:58

Thanks for the details Par, that will help alot - I don't have any paint left on the clam so there are no marks, but I do have a spare clam which should help me figure out where some things go.

Cheers
Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 09.05.2016, 19:37

par wrote:
Rambo wrote:Well done Steven. What a great result and we have the good weather at last. Will we be seeing the Black Beastie at Bo'ness on Wed ?

PS When do you start on the rear suspension rebuild ? :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks Mark. As long as it is dry I will be at Bo'ness this week - cant have all my new stainless bolts getting wet!!

Still waiting on the wishbones for the rear suspension, actually intended to do the rear first! I have new hubs/discs/pads & wheel bearings waiting to get fitted once the wishbones finally arrive.

Wait 'til Scottie boy sees it. He'll cream his jeans when he see the New Black Beastie :twisted:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Scott J » Mon 09.05.2016, 20:31

I will cream ma jeans alright .
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby Rambo » Mon 09.05.2016, 20:36

:lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby par » Mon 09.05.2016, 23:26

Giniw wrote:
par wrote:I still dont have everything lined up correctly yet :roll:
Do you imply it was all perfect before? :-D

Wasnt perfect before but at least the bonnet would pop to the second latch position when pulling the release lever. It now needs some assistance!
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Thu 26.05.2016, 16:40

Only a few minor areas of progress since the last update, bonnet better aligned which allows the bonnet release to work properly now.

New seatbelt reel fitted as the procedure of feeding the belt back in to prevent the buckle getting caught in the door was getting tedious. It now fully retracts under its own steam. Passenger still has some work to do though so may have to look at changing that side in the future:-

Upgraded my method of holding the bonnet open.

Went from cardboard tube:-

To proper bonnet stay:-

par
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Thu 26.05.2016, 17:41

par wrote:......Upgraded my method of holding the bonnet open.

You might be interested in this.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby par » Thu 26.05.2016, 22:14

Elanlover wrote:

I actually met an Elan owner last week who showed me a similar version he had developed which used longer dampers and different fixing points, it did seem to work quite well.

Filed under next winter to do list!
par
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 26.05.2016, 23:25

par wrote:
Elanlover wrote:

I actually met an Elan owner last week who showed me a similar version he had developed which used longer dampers and different fixing points, it did seem to work quite well.

Filed under next winter to do list!

Oh dear. Whatever happened to Lotus Philosphy? ...www.lotuscars.com/about-us/lotus-philosophy ... :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby par » Thu 26.05.2016, 23:50

lotusflasherman wrote:
Oh dear. Whatever happened to Lotus Philosphy? ...www.lotuscars.com/about-us/lotus-philosophy ... :lol:

You are quite correct, I need to bring forward my plans to source a lower density cardboard tube to add lightness :lol:
par
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Fri 27.05.2016, 19:06

Is that my original cardboard tube or did you source your own. If its your own then the original must still be in my garage, we can weigh them , then you can keep the lightest.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 27.05.2016, 20:04

par wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:

You are quite correct, I need to bring forward my plans to source a lower density cardboard tube to add lightness :lol:

I've seen a set of carbon fibre tubes to make your own fishing rods for sale ... now there's a thought :bananasex:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby par » Sat 28.05.2016, 00:03

lotusflasherman wrote:
par wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:

I've seen a set of carbon fibre tubes to make your own fishing rods for sale ... now there's a thought :bananasex:

Now that you have mentioned carbon, I could fit the dampers and then cover the bonnet in carbon fibre wrap to negate the extra weight, seems to work for the Corsa boys :D
par
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Sat 28.05.2016, 08:38

par wrote:Now that you have mentioned carbon, I could fit the dampers and then cover the bonnet in carbon fibre wrap to negate the extra weight, seems to work for the Corsa boys :D

And the MX5 bell ends :twisted:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby par » Sun 03.07.2016, 16:12

The front brakes were a little unbalanced and only just scraped through the MOT so decided to get the calipers fully refurbished. Had 8 brand new pistons and new seals fitted and they now pull up nice even without having to fight with the steering wheel!

However they were looking a bit tired:-

Gave them a freshen up with some brake caliper paint, I slopped on the black paint and my wife did the neater details with the yellow paint, I think they look a lot better:-

Took it out for a quick drive to put some heat in the brakes and help cure the paint but rain stopped play but they definitely look a lot neater through the spokes of the wheels.
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Wed 03.08.2016, 22:29

I had the geometry set up carried out at Kenny Brown Engineering in Glasgow last week and it was worth every penny as it has made a big difference to how the car sits on the road. I now feel I am getting the most out of all the new parts and work done on the suspension, even my wife commented on how much better the car felt from the passenger seat and she doesnt usually take any notice.

First time I have used Kenny Brown and wouldnt hesitate to recommend him as he certainly knows his stuff. Nice to get a compliment from him on the quality of the work I have done as well :D
par
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Wed 03.08.2016, 23:13

Was he asking where I was, he hasn't seen that car for a couple years. Anyway, i might be popping in soon for a K series cam belt change :D
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby Scott J » Wed 03.08.2016, 23:15

Last edited by Scott J on Sun 07.08.2016, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby par » Thu 04.08.2016, 10:56

Scott J wrote:Was he asking where I was, he hasn't seen that car for a couple years. Anyway, i might be popping in soon for a K series cam belt change :D

A Rover K series or a Honda K series? I assume in the form of an Elise, is this the new car you hinted at for Bo' ness next week?
par
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)