Project Black

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Project Black

Postby Danevansgolf » Thu 02.02.2017, 23:22

Nice work going on there. I do hope that all this work is going to continue with changeing the brake pipes and brake hoses, they do look like they need changing. And best of all it's an easy and cheap job to do. Keep us updated with the pics. Good luck
Danevansgolf
Enthusiast

Postby par » Sat 04.02.2017, 15:09

Thanks, its what these long winter nights are good for :D

Yes I have new brake hoses to go on as well, the copper brake pipes are actually in quite good condition and look to be fairly recent. Think they look worse in the pictures as they have all the debris from the underseal & rust removal still stuck to them but I will give them a full inspection when cleaning them.
par
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 04.02.2017, 17:16

par wrote:Thanks, its what these long winter nights are good for :D

Yes I have new brake hoses to go on as well, the copper brake pipes are actually in quite good condition and look to be fairly recent. Think they look worse in the pictures as they have all the debris from the underseal & rust removal still stuck to them but I will give them a full inspection when cleaning them.

If pipes look 'copper' they'll be 'Cunifer' which is an alloy of copper, nickel, iron and will last longer than any of us ... never understood why Lotus didn't use it in the factory. Strong as steel for pressure, looks good and easier to bend and flare.

Goodridge or other steel braided brake hoses are a worthwhile improvement too. Guaranteed for life and give a firmer brake pedal. Not cheap but I had a number plate fall off the back of a lorry and go under my first SE's NSF wheel arch and chop the rubber brake hose just as I was braking for a roundabout, which was 'an interesting experience' I don't want to repeat so always fit Goodridge. Can't use those hose clamps on them though... mind you, I haven't used a hose clamp since I had an elderly hose start swelling where I'd clamped it - and for only a couple of hours. Good job you're replacing your hoses. :lol:

I have a collection of various old unions (male, female, different threads) fitted with short pipe flattened and folded over that I use as 'blanking plugs' as appropriate instead. Didn't cost anything but a few minutes to make either .. :-D
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby par » Wed 08.02.2017, 00:19

It has braided brake hoses fitted front and back (think they might be Goodridge), it is only the short sections which have the clamps attached that are still rubber.

I totally agree with your concerns around using these type of clamps but I knew these hoses would be getting thrown away and replaced and prevents lots of brake fluid splashing about in the meantime.
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Wed 08.02.2017, 00:26

POR 15 now applied in 2 or 3 coats which provides a good seal against the elements:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Wed 08.02.2017, 00:34

Followed by a couple of coats of Waxoyl underseal:-

Looks like I have missed a couple of patches in these pictures which I didnt spot at the time when lying on the ground, so will need a quick touch up:-

Last edited by par on Wed 08.02.2017, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
par
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Wed 08.02.2017, 01:15

8) Looking good, like your post :smt023
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Saltire » Wed 08.02.2017, 08:23

Wish mine looked like that - great photos too!
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby par » Fri 10.02.2017, 23:46

Ready to start putting it all back together with all parts either replaced with new, cleaned & painted or powdercoated:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 19.02.2017, 11:44

All the parts now fitted back on to the car with no real headaches or issues, the parts located together fine and then torqued up at ride height. The new cam adjuster bolts were marked up and fitted to the same position as the old ones that were removed but will book it in at Kenny Browns to be set up properly. The stainless steel wishbones look great in my opinion and certainly will have a lot more strength than the badly corroded ones that were removed:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 19.02.2017, 11:50

New discs and hubs fitted with new bearings as per the guidance, is it recommended to recheck and tighten the hub nut after a 100 miles or so after fitting new bearings or is there likely to be no change?

par
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 19.02.2017, 12:01

It may be either the camera angle, or that they aren't done up at the point of taking the pics, but a couple of the bolts (rear of lower wishbone) don't look like they are quite long enough....

...specifically, the OS one doesn't appear to reach the nylon locking thread.

I believe that the thread is meant to protrude through the nylon by a distance equal to the width of the bolt (or 4 thread depths, whichever is less) to comply with the design characteristics.

(I'm not trying to nit-pick - just don't want anything falling off when you're driving it!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby par » Sun 19.02.2017, 12:46

dapinky wrote:It may be either the camera angle, or that they aren't done up at the point of taking the pics, but a couple of the bolts (rear of lower wishbone) don't look like they are quite long enough....

...specifically, the OS one doesn't appear to reach the nylon locking thread.

I believe that the thread is meant to protrude through the nylon by a distance equal to the width of the bolt (or 4 thread depths, whichever is less) to comply with the design characteristics.

(I'm not trying to nit-pick - just don't want anything falling off when you're driving it!)

Pictures were taken at different points in time and not posted in time order, I tend to leave everything loose and only tighten up when I know everything is fitted. It isnt the easiest area to take pictures of and I am no great photographer so went down the scattergun approach and filtered out the best examples :lol:

Bolt lengths are all spot on thanks to someone on this forum called Dave something or other :D who kindly produced a sheet with all the correct sizes for the front & rear suspension. I can guarantee I dont want anything falling off either :shock:
par
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 19.02.2017, 16:07

par wrote:Bolt lengths are all spot on thanks to someone on this forum called Dave something or other :D who kindly produced a sheet with all the correct sizes for the front & rear suspension....

:D - that saves me having to find a document I have with all the bolt lengths on, then :lol:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby par » Sun 19.02.2017, 18:59

Had to do a bit of fibre glass repair to one of the studs before replacing the bumper:-

Also bonded in some new shiny aluminium mesh:-

par
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.02.2017, 09:43

She's looking fantastic Par. Youve done a great job

Soon be time for another project car at this rate. Or are you doing an engine strip down and rebuild next winter :poke:

PS And if you ever get itchy fingers, I have a couple you can practice on :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby par » Tue 21.02.2017, 00:11

Rambo wrote:She's looking fantastic Par. Youve done a great job

Soon be time for another project car at this rate. Or are you doing an engine strip down and rebuild next winter :poke:

PS And if you ever get itchy fingers, I have a couple you can practice on :wink:

No plans to rebuild the engine, if it goes bang then I will beg Jamie for his engine and he can get on with fitting a Honda engine to his Elan :lol:

Chassis has been cleaned up front and back which leaves the centre section to be done next winter. Dont think I can see any record of the clutch being done so that may need done at some point as it is coming up to 170k miles.

If I ever run out of things to do I will let you know :wink:
par
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Tue 21.02.2017, 20:33

Looks great. I'll need to see her soon.

Clutch is at least as old as 115,000 miles 2004. Not sure if original or changed. You could find out by calling the Paul Matty service manager, Roy Bury as it was his car before me (there was another owner between us for 6 months in East Kilbride )
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby Jamie N » Wed 22.02.2017, 20:04

Nice work as usual Stephen, I will be up this weekend for closer examination!, got some goodies for you as well 8) .

I'm hoping its going to be off those axle stands at last!.
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby par » Wed 22.02.2017, 22:21

Scott J wrote:Looks great. I'll need to see her soon.
)

Should be getting close to Bo'ness meet time soon, all going well you can have another nostalgia drive.
par
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)