YHO chronicles

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: YHO chronicles

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 10.04.2016, 17:50

maz_r wrote:Correct on both counts.

Clear front indicators, courtesy of Richard (wolfie308 on here). If any one else is interested, he has a couple of extra sets on the shelf. Website here.

I put black side repeaters on a while back; off fleabay, as you say.

Single wiper conversion from Jamie N - thanks mate. I went for the 'normal' mounting rather than the race-a-like vertical - just a personal choice.

Those pins are held in by some 'R' clips; the shoulder is on the outside and they are supposed to be removed by drifting them inwards...unless they've been fitted for a while.

seems that after a while they become 'interference fit' and the R clips are then superfluous. Are the pins plain steel or Sherardised? If so think I'd be taking a rat-tailed file to the caliper holes... :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby maz_r » Sun 10.04.2016, 18:31

I had to look 'Sherardised' up :)

I couldn't see any evidence of any coating, but then again, I wasn't looking too hard and not sure I'd recognise it even if it bit me. PNM told me that the original HiSpecs had these rust-prone pins but they are now delivered with stainless steel ones.

Mine are now stainless steel :-D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby wolfie308 » Mon 11.04.2016, 12:51

HJ2 wrote:M'c Laren mod & clear indicators :D

Whether you fit clear front indicators or not, I think a cheap and worthwhile mod is to change the feeble sidelight filament bulbs for an LED alternative....a much brighter and whiter light. You can also get an idea of how bright on this Esprit as well as the F.1.

wolfie308
Tinkerer

Postby maz_r » Sun 17.04.2016, 18:32

Sun was out today, so time to start on some of the jobs list.

I admit I have been doing a bit of 'head in the sand' regarding the outriggers, but seeing as I was doing the carpet today, I had no choice but to have a look under the soundproofing.

side walls.jpg

Boy was I mighty relieved! A little bit of surface rust down by the fuses, but apart from that, pretty sound; certainly no perforations in the metal and the seat belt mounting points are rock (well metal) solid; what a relief. A quick once-over with a rust treatment and paint and then on with the actual job - red carpet...

neoprene.jpg

all red now.jpg

seat back in.jpg

Needless to say, it took a little longer than expected but no major dramas; only managed to get the one side done, but it is progress.

However, once it was back together, i took it out for a little run - all good - sprinting away nicely from the muppet in a 1litre nissan who spent 2 minutes revving his engine as we waited at some lights.... Stopped for a short while and restarted fine BUT after this the revs kept dropping when i had to stop and it stalled twice in a row; got home no problem just kept the revs up a little but once on the drive, it died again. The revs dropped to about half the normal idle, then jumping back up and then falling away again. Eventually it stalled again.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the cause? No CEL flashes or anything. My only thought it the fuel is probably quite old, so dunno if it has 'gone off'.

Brakes work though, so not all bad :)
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby muley » Sun 17.04.2016, 22:41

Good to hear her outriggers were in good shape. She had spent a lot of time outdoors when she lived in London.

Not sure about the lumpy running, did you sort the backfiring on overrun?

Take care

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC,. Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby maz_r » Sun 17.04.2016, 23:31

To be fair, i haven't looked at the off side yet... :?

Fingers crossed...
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby epipete » Mon 18.04.2016, 16:49

Fuel pump Martin!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby maz_r » Mon 18.04.2016, 18:49

Oh don't say that :(

Not convinced yet, but it's a good thought, no matter how much I don't want it to be true....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby epipete » Mon 18.04.2016, 20:31

There may be many reasons but those were the symptoms on both occasions that my pump was not delivering!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby maz_r » Sun 24.04.2016, 22:09

Sunday update (or at least, this weeks update)

Having got worried about the fuel pump (thanks Pete!), before attending the West Mids Meet this week, I went out and started the car to see if there was anything to see/hear and also to pop it into service mode.

Fuel pump primed just fine - about 2 seconds from ignition on to it stopping the full 'whizz'. Started fine (the revs still wobble up and down slightly). Popped it into service mode and the revs dropped right down, I'd say to about 500rpm. Turned the idle air screw round (and round) and eventually got the revs to about the right place - the fluctuation in revs at idle seemed worse. Out of service mode and the revs became more stable (but not spot on); I blame the HES, which I must get round to fixing. Anyway, seemed better but driving would tell. However, whilst standing there, looking at the engine ticking over and praying for inspiration, I noticed a water bubble forming and popping between the air intake hose and the sightglass on the header tank (YHO has a Coolex ali header). Closer investigation showed that the sight glass has failed and coolant is weeping out (and had pooled nicely on the tranny) and (I am guessing) some may have dripped onto the coils - not an ideal situation. Dear Coolex, please send me a new sight glass (which has subsequently arrived).

Took the car to the West Mids Meet and it was an 'interesting' experience; when cold, the revs were way too high and rather than engine braking (which I do quite a bit when bumbling along), it accelerated! Once warmed up though, much better. Made it there and back to the meeting, including giving it some beans on the way back (beans from my perspective, FredJohn was probably twiddling his thumbs behind me... ;)) and there were no hitches. I am still thinking it's a combination of HES, base timing, CO pot and idle screw that are in need of balancing.

Finally, it rained here today, so some inside work:

door inserts.jpg
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby SimonR » Mon 25.04.2016, 00:23

Good news on the outriggers !! The door inserts look very good !
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 25.04.2016, 00:49

SimonR wrote:Good news on the outriggers !! The door inserts look very good !

They'd look much better fitted to the doors ... :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby maz_r » Mon 25.04.2016, 12:42

lotusflasherman wrote:They'd look much better fitted to the doors ... :lol:

Tiny steps, Phil, tiny steps....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby maz_r » Wed 27.04.2016, 17:45

i have a question and welcome your thoughts:

Having recovered the door inserts and about to tackle the lower door carpet with something less carpety (not sure that's a word, but, hey), I wonder how people secure those pieces?

I know you can use upholstery adhesive, but I've seen that fail when it gets hot and, knowing my luck, these are the sort of trim that will need to come off and be re-fixed several times over the next few years. Therefore my question is, has anyone come up with a better (by which I mean 'more mechanical') means of attaching these? Something which lefts you remove and replace without reaching for the adhesive spray...

Your thoughts/suggestions welcome :)
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby SimonR » Wed 27.04.2016, 18:37

For the door inserts I'm going to try heavy duty velcro ....
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Elanlover » Wed 27.04.2016, 18:44

I've used this stuff from 3M and it works great. Doesn't weaken due to heat or cold and can still be removed if necessary. I haven't found a Velcro with adhesive backing that works for very long.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby tb10 » Wed 27.04.2016, 19:52

Martin,

I just used evo-stik as it put the 'new' smell back into the car ........................for a few weeks!! :-D

regards

John
tb10
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Thu 28.04.2016, 10:16

Fir tree fasteners.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby maz_r » Mon 16.05.2016, 18:05

Tada!

Another 12 months sorted - no advisories.

2 interesting(ish) factets:

1. didn't get the emissions sheet; the tester said since it was before 1995, they don't give them out as a rule - I didn't argue since he just passed it.
2. Tester said that I appeared to be missing a windscreen wiper, so obviously he didn't appreciate the single wiper conversion :D
Attachments
mot 2016.jpg
Bingo!
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby muley » Mon 16.05.2016, 20:37

maz_r wrote:Tada!

Another 12 months sorted - no advisories.

2 interesting(ish) factets:

1. didn't get the emissions sheet; the tester said since it was before 1995, they don't give them out as a rule - I didn't argue since he just passed it.
2. Tester said that I appeared to be missing a windscreen wiper, so obviously he didn't appreciate the single wiper conversion :D

What! Never got one of those - always had at least rear wheel bearing play. Well done.
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC,. Red Honda Integra S
muley

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)