Project MOT

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Project MOT

Postby dans » Sun 19.07.2015, 21:54

Hi All, Hope you are keeping well?

I haven't been on here for a while. I have a red SE in Gloucestershire. It's been 3 years without an MOT (I now have a 4 yr old son, figure the timings out!). MOT slipped due to there being a number of issues and I didn't have the time or cash to sort! I've decided that this year is do or die, so gotta get a ticket back on the car or it has to go!!

Top priority jobs for the MOT:
1. New shocks on the rear, so going to do all four
2. Steering play. Going to check the U/J at the bottom of the rack.
3. Vibration in the brakes, I had replaced the rear disks, suspect one was warped. I have the originals, so going to see if can get them cleaned up.
4. Brake pipes need replacing. Not sure on this one, think I might have to find a garage for this. And I'm worried about even looking at the proportioning valves.
5. Door handles both playing up
6. Seatbelts need looking at
7. Cracked windscreen :(
8. Anything else that has gone wrong in the meantime!

For the future:
1. Needs a cambelt again
2. Suspect the headgasket needs some attention.
3. Seats are buggered.
4. lots lots more..............

I suspect I will be back here a lot!

Cheers,
Dan
dans
Fanatic

Re: Project MOT

Postby chrisP » Mon 20.07.2015, 17:36

All depending on what the symptoms of the head gasket problem are ..... I would look at the thermostat and see whether it is sticking first.

Oh and doing a windscreen is a real pain, I found lots of corrosion on the A-pillars when doing mine. (tip, buy two top trims as one can be cut in half, to use on the sides - saving £10)
chrisP
Fanatic

Re: Project MOT

Postby dans » Sun 28.08.2016, 10:45

It's been a year and still no progress. Got some cash together, just trying to find the time now!

I've been trying to read all the options on shocks but I am now more confused than ever.. Will persevere but maybe back for more help
dans
Fanatic

Return to Projects - Car (Major)