Pinky II

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Pinky II

Postby Paul.P » Tue 28.07.2009, 22:15

Thats put a different perspectic on it then Nige, i know what you mean about the rear end going light with front brake upgrade, but why wouldn't you want to put it on a road car ?
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Postby dapinky » Sat 01.08.2009, 12:19

Monty wrote:
dapinky wrote:Just as a thought - you shouldn't allow the MOT tester to do the front (driven) wheels on a brake roller with an LSD fitted - It'll bugger the whole lot up!

Well how do you get a pass on the MOT if you don`t allow them to test the front :smt017

Since the ATB doesn`t use a clutch type system then it no probs for the pink bomb :-D

It is a question of using the correct equipment - not ignoring that bit of the test!

They shouldn't use driven friction brake rollers, as it will fight the ability of the LSD to not slip :roll:

They use a box of tricks and a road test!

Basically, it's a decellerometer which the passenger holds. The tester drives at 20mph on a straight, flat road and presses the brakes "firmly, but not sharply - brakes must not lock the wheels". The machine records the decelleration rate, and either passes or fails! Who says technology is good :roll:

I have only ever used them with RWD cars, so it has a further test for the handbrake, obviously with FWD the handbrake can be tested on the rollers.

The machine used to be refered to as a 'Tapley Meter', after the makers, but this is now incorrect in the same way that my Hoover is made by Dyson :lol:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Monty » Mon 01.03.2010, 16:15

Well good old Bob has made me some replacement Aluminium adaptor plates for my Cobra seats, i now have them fitted which has lowered the seats and saving some weight :-D

Before

Ali adaptor plates 750g per seat

Rebate for the extra thickness on the inboard rear stock runner

stock runners are dam heavy at 3.36kg per seat :twisted:

Bob`s Ali plates have save me just over 2kg per seat :-D

Stock seat with runners 38lb (17.23kg)

The Cobra seat on it`s own is 21lb (9.52kg).
Aluminium adaptor plates 1lb 10oz (750g)
Stock runners 7lb 9oz (3.36kg)
Total weigh per seat 30lb 3oz (13.69kg)

Last edited by Monty on Mon 01.03.2010, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Dico » Mon 01.03.2010, 16:32

Good work Murph/Bob. You just need to lay off the Ulster fry's now.
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder

Postby Monty » Mon 01.03.2010, 18:01

Dico wrote:Good work Murph/Bob. You just need to lay off the Ulster fry's now.

Who, me or Bob lmao :lol:

I`m sure Bob will have a few things to say to you at the curry meet :smt081
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Nige » Mon 01.03.2010, 18:29

Paul.P wrote:Thats put a different perspectic on it then Nige, i know what you mean about the rear end going light with front brake upgrade, but why wouldn't you want to put it on a road car ?

Paul, probably the longest delay in replying ever, just looking at the new posts in this thread and spotted yours. I didn't make myself at all clear in the post you refer to. What I meant to say was that I would never want to have or need to brake on the road the way I routinely brake on the track, that is standing on the pedal for all it's worth short of locking up (of course since posting that I have done exactly that :oops: , not that I was braking that hard at the time).

Sorry Monty please have your thread back. Nice piece of work from Bob there and a useful weight saving, you need lighter seats though :lol: .
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby RayD » Fri 07.05.2010, 11:43

Posting here as a related conversation started on page 28 of this thread.

During the annual MOT yesterday I had opportunity to be operating the brakes while they were being tested – just to save them covering the seats.

The results were ...

Front 300
Rear 100
Handbrake 200

No amount of pressure will get the rears more than 100 due the proportioning valves.

Last year they had been

Front 275
Rear 100
Handbrake 150

The difference in the handbrake was probably due me using my right hand and pulling as hard as I could. Similarly with the fronts, I may have been trying harder than they were last year.

They are standard brakes ... in preparation for the test I just took the glaze off the discs and pads and made sure the sliding pins were free.

Incidentally the new rear wheel bearing fitted 12 months ago needed the castellated nut moving to the next notch to take out a small amount of play.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Monty » Fri 07.05.2010, 12:45

and just to compare with mine for the last 2 years

Monty wrote:Well Pinky passed it`s MOT test today with no problems :-D

Here`s the result of the brake test (only estimated as it`s the old dial type gauge)
This is with Bob Browns 16" Wilwood Dynapro 294mm Disc front conversion with Yellowstuff pads and Bob`s Hi-spec rear conversion, 262mm Disc and Mintex MNB 1890 pads

.....................N/S.........O/S
Rear................100.........100
Handbrake.........120.........130
Front...............330.........350
Balance.............170........170

Looks like the Rear brake is slightly better but the Handbrake wasn`t as good as last year :smt017

Last years
Brains front 16" wilwood kit with Yellowstuff
Stock rears but with Bob`s sliding pins fitted and EBC standard pads

Here`s the results of the brake test

.....................N/S.........O/S
Rear................90..........90
Handbrake......160........160
Front..............330........360
Balance..........200........200
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Monty » Thu 13.05.2010, 20:52

Been busy this week :-D

In Graphite Grey, paint job isn`t pefect. Infact the panel needs more work but will do for now and i can decide if i`m happy with the colour
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Monty » Thu 13.05.2010, 21:04

Next was the wiring, now the lights cames with there bulb holders and 1st bit of the wiring loom. Phil privided me with the loom to conect to the stock harness.

But i was not impressed with the confugertaion of the elise light as you only get 1 half for side lights, 1 half for Brake, 1 for Fog and the other is blank. why all four don`t light up as side lights and the all 4 light up for brake lights i`ll never know. It`s always good to be seen :roll:

So thought i`d have a go at rewiring, i did try to wire the Fog up as Brake lights but keep bowing a fuse :twisted:

i now have:-
Per-side
2 halfs for Side lights
2 Halfs for Braking
Indicator
Reverse
But now only have one fog light on the nearside.

Put the car in the garage and it`s blown a fuse again :evil:

Side lights

Brake

Fog

Reverse
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby RayD » Thu 13.05.2010, 21:25

Looks great Jay,

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Nige » Fri 14.05.2010, 05:33

Looks good indeed. Reminds me I must ask the man who does the panels where mine is :roll: . I've had the Elise lights for well over a year now.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby rip » Fri 14.05.2010, 14:16

Looks good, Monty.

I thought you would go for the CF panel...or did some **** grab the last one? :-D
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Aoki Magic Pants » Fri 14.05.2010, 14:36

That looks great! The colour scheme works really well on the rear, I hope you can get your wiring sorted alright.
Aoki Magic Pants
Enthusiast

Postby Monty » Fri 14.05.2010, 16:11

Cheers for the comment Guys :wink:

rip wrote:Looks good, Monty.

I thought you would go for the CF panel...or did some **** grab the last one? :-D

:poke: that was suppose to be mine :lol:

This one is CF but it`s not vaccumed pressed, so the finish wasn`t good enough.

BTW, what configuration have you got your lights?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby dapinky » Fri 14.05.2010, 16:45

Monty wrote: what configuration have you got your lights?

FWIW, mine are all next to each other in a box on top of the dashboard against the front wall of the conservatory.......

.....and i beat Nige - I've had the lights for over 2 years now (the panel has been in the conservatory for the past 9 months or so) -

Biggest decision has been on the colour to paint it - She wants Red, I want Blue :roll:

Now I've seen this one, I'm settled on either Graphite Grey, or Satin Black - then it can go on either car :wink:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby rip » Fri 14.05.2010, 20:49

Monty wrote:
BTW, what configuration have you got your lights?

Not changed mine since you followed me.
I've still got the config you didn't like: 1/2 brake, 1/2 tail & 1/2 fog on each side. I like separate lights for brake & tail but I have thought about moving the brake lights inboard & completing the outer rings for tail lights. I've not even looked at it though, can this be done?

Dapinky wrote:
Biggest decision has been on the colour to paint it - She wants Red, I want Blue :roll:

Now I've seen this one, I'm settled on either Graphite Grey, or Satin Black - then it can go on either car :wink:

I felt that body colour was just too much. I like the way that the grey/black breaks it up.
Also remember that black shows up dirt more readily than grey.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Monty » Tue 18.05.2010, 18:56

rip wrote:I like separate lights for brake & tail but I have thought about moving the brake lights inboard & completing the outer rings for tail lights. I've not even looked at it though, can this be done?

Yes it can be done but might have to change the bulb holders and you still need to have you fog lights.

The LED number plate lights are now fitted, just worried that it`s not lighting the number plate enough :? I may of angled the LEDs to much :?

Monty
Chunder King!

Postby surfboardfiller » Thu 27.05.2010, 22:51

I never had a problem with an MOT for the past 3 years, I think you can safely say it's lit. :-D

Did you try LED bulbs in the light units to reduce the load on the fuzes?
surfboardfiller
God

Postby Monty » Fri 28.05.2010, 16:17

surfboardfiller wrote:I never had a problem with an MOT for the past 3 years, I think you can safely say it's lit. :-D

Did you try LED bulbs in the light units to reduce the load on the fuzes?

Phil,

Thats good to know, i have bought some rectangular reflectors just incase :wink:

Didn`t go to LEDs, turns out the wiring can handle the extra amps so gone from 5amp to 7.5amp and all is fine :-D

Still after the extra black bulb holder :wink:
Monty
Chunder King!

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)