"Lucky" The Basket Case!

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: "Lucky" The Basket Case!

Postby Rambo » Sat 03.09.2022, 07:57

Anyway, back on topic, what's happened to the "basket case" and the case of the disappearing ECU? From a great start it's all gone very quiet :(
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Jayeme69 » Fri 23.09.2022, 09:40

Rambo wrote:Anyway, back on topic, what's happened to the "basket case" and the case of the disappearing ECU? From a great start it's all gone very quiet :(

Sorry been earning money rather than throwing it at the yellow money pit! I have to walk past it every day sat in the corner of the garage and thinking of throwing a cover over it so i don't have to think about it. Not sure where i go from here but its looking unlikely i am going to proceed any further as i've just lost my mojo with the thing. :bonk:
Jayeme69

Postby Rambo » Fri 23.09.2022, 11:23

Did you ever work out where and who stole the ECU?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Jayeme69 » Fri 23.09.2022, 16:58

Rambo wrote:Did you ever work out where and who stole the ECU?

Possibly someone at the salvage yard or maybe the seller harvested the good parts prior to selling, who knows but its a shitty trick! :evil:
Jayeme69

Postby Rambo » Sun 25.09.2022, 07:39

I still can't work out how you got the car running then :smt017

You said
Jayeme69 wrote:.. a few hours of tinkering ,a Battery and fresh fuel she roared to life in a beautiful (loud) harmonious melody of pops and farts ( Exhaust blowing obs :( ) Turbos good, sounds sweet, winner, winner, chicken dinner!

A car will never start without an ECU, it's absolutely impossible :? You're a mechanical engineer, you should know that. I removed mine just to prove the point and absolutely zilch so I think I can't believe your statement above :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Fri 30.09.2022, 22:09

What now? Do you think you'll flog it back through thesame auction site?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby exeterjeep » Tue 04.10.2022, 12:19

On ebay now, still says no ECU but runs. Looks like loads of work.
exeterjeep
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Tue 04.10.2022, 12:26

exeterjeep wrote:On ebay now, still says no ECU but runs. Looks like loads of work.

I have to say (and this is unlike me) that this one is probably beyond saving for anyone who hasn't got a shed full of parts already - it certainly looks like a 'parts car' - but with the parts worth money already removed.....

...... clearly it COULD be repaired, or it COULD be broken up further for parts, but the first option isn't easy, and the second would take a while and a lot of hassle to try to regain your purchase costs.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Jamie N » Tue 04.10.2022, 13:09

If it landed here I would do an engine conversion on it (Honda K20), find everything in the big yard to replace (and modify) all the missing parts and all the bits that are knackered, back lights would be replaced with something fairly
modern and the back modified to fit them, hundred of cars in the yard with stock changing daily you could definitely make something interesting with the amount and variation of stuff in there, it's colossal, even if it was just a dedicated
track car.

Seriously tempted but time of year and other projects hindering the temptation.
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby apollo996 » Tue 04.10.2022, 13:14

dapinky wrote:
exeterjeep wrote:On ebay now, still says no ECU but runs. Looks like loads of work.

I have to say (and this is unlike me) that this one is probably beyond saving for anyone who hasn't got a shed full of parts already - it certainly looks like a 'parts car' - but with the parts worth money already removed.....

...... clearly it COULD be repaired, or it COULD be broken up further for parts, but the first option isn't easy, and the second would take a while and a lot of hassle to try to regain your purchase costs.

I think you are 100% right. I only know of one person who might take that on but that's it. He has all the parts to do it. As you say its not even a good parts car. I bet the car was a private entry at the salvage auction. They are the worse cars to buy as they are entered into the auction for good reasons. Still can't work out why anybody will just cut the wires, however. The harness just unclicks. I'm not sure the offer of £1200 by a trader is strictly true either. Most traders just want a quick turnaround and its got very little profit in it whatever you do with it. Good luck to the guy either way. Salvage auctions aren't the places for the novice IMO.
apollo996
Tinkerer

Postby apollo996 » Tue 04.10.2022, 13:15

Jamie N wrote:If it landed here I would do an engine conversion on it (Honda K20), find everything in the big yard to replace (and modify) all the missing parts and all the bits that are knackered, back lights would be replaced with something fairly
modern and the back modified to fit them, hundred of cars in the yard with stock changing daily you could definitely make something interesting with the amount and variation of stuff in there, it's colossal, even if it was just a dedicated
track car.

Now that's a good idea. Its too far gone to put it back to original.
apollo996
Tinkerer

Postby par » Tue 04.10.2022, 14:08

Jamie N wrote:If it landed here I would do an engine conversion on it (Honda K20), find everything in the big yard to replace (and modify) all the missing parts and all the bits that are knackered, back lights would be replaced with something fairly
track car.

I have a brand new Honda badge here for the bonnet which I will donate to the cause :lol:
par
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Tue 04.10.2022, 14:22

Go for it Jamie. You won't need to bother with an ECU as it can apparently run without one :smt017
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby par » Tue 04.10.2022, 15:03

Rambo wrote:Go for it Jamie. You won't need to bother with an ECU as it can apparently run without one :smt017

Maybe it has one of those 'Powered by Pixie Dust' stickers on it and doesn't need an ECU :lol:
par
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Tue 04.10.2022, 15:24

I probably know of half a dozen guys on this forum with either the time, resources or desire to take this on....

..... I have 2 of the 3, but lack the desire. There are far better starting projects than this one, and using my stash of parts on this car would stop them being useful on a better one.

Davey (Apollo) has indicated that he is of a similar mind.

Jamie could use it as a base for an engine swap project (but I'm not sure that the structural integrity of the base would make it viable, again, there are others out there with a better starting point.

So, that still leaves a few guys who may be interested - but I doubt it.

Now, if it was only half an hour away, and £500 I might be interested......
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby alan e » Tue 04.10.2022, 16:44

Right for a electric conversion a MG EV motor will fit under the bonnet battery in place of the petrol tank charging plug in place of the filler cap and no ecu needed.
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 05.10.2022, 21:55

The engine runs well without an ECU so why bother with an electric motor?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Wed 05.10.2022, 21:57

dapinky wrote:Now, if it was only half an hour away, and £500 I might be interested......

£500 Dave? Is that a typo? :shock:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Thu 06.10.2022, 09:22

Well, it's worth £500 to me as it is....... but not worth a trip with a trailer to Scunthorpe.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Jayeme69 » Thu 06.10.2022, 10:32

dapinky wrote:I probably know of half a dozen guys on this forum with either the time, resources or desire to take this on....

..... I have 2 of the 3, but lack the desire. There are far better starting projects than this one, and using my stash of parts on this car would stop them being useful on a better one.

Davey (Apollo) has indicated that he is of a similar mind.

Jamie could use it as a base for an engine swap project (but I'm not sure that the structural integrity of the base would make it viable, again, there are others out there with a better starting point.

So, that still leaves a few guys who may be interested - but I doubt it.

Now, if it was only half an hour away, and £500 I might be interested......

Yeah cheers Dave, lots of derisory and derogatory comments but not much in the way of help and assistance, a little support goes a long way, i would say there are many on here who could have assisted with the necessary parts needed to bring another Elan back from the grave but you would all rather hoard your parts (or sell them for extortionate prices), snigger and take the piss rather than help a budding enthusiast on a formidable project. I am more than capable and willing to restore this car but who wants to be part of this community? you all need to grow up. oh and Rambo, yes im a qualified engineer and yes it shouldn't run without an ecu but it does so calling someone you don't know and have never met a liar is a something only an ignorant twat would do! Sooo thanks for all your help Bitches but i think ill stick to the yank crowd and they are helpful,friendly AND offer above and beyond wherever and whenever they can , unlike this group! ADIOS!
Jayeme69

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)