Track Elan

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Postby Doug » Sat 05.05.2007, 05:42

Glad you're back in the driver's seat, Dave!

I like the looks of those wheels--hope you got the black ones or anthracite ordered up!? Did you go 15" for the track car?

-D
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby F1 LOTUS » Sat 05.05.2007, 07:46

He's back! :clap:
Good to see you posting again :D

Those wheels look very nice, especially in the dark colors as Doug mentioned, also they seem to be very light - the even lighter 15"ers would be great for track use 'though I guess these wouldn't fit over the AP's?
F1 LOTUS
God

Postby Nige » Sat 05.05.2007, 12:05

Dave welcome back and pleased to hear that you're on the road to recovery, sounds like a nasty one. I like the wheels as well, I think Team Dynamics are a Brit company, with Matt Neil the UK Touring Car Champion as the head man (family business I think). I assume you went for the BMW mini offset (45mm) or do they do them with the magical 60mm offset?
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Dave M » Mon 07.05.2007, 16:36

Went with the 16" ones - Brian's right, I worried about fitment over the APs. They were only ~1 pound heavier than the 15s. Either way they are much lighter than stock! I could only get the 45mm offset (the 17s went to a 50mm offset, IIRC).

Yes, I went with the black. :-D Here's the inspiration:
Attachments
stormtrooper.JPG
stormtrooper.JPG (79.83 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

"Track Elan" Monaco White Elan / "Peely" Calypso Red Elan / 2007 Subaru Legacy GT-Cobb Tuned / 1993 Honda CBR600F2
Dave M
God

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Wed 09.05.2007, 18:20

wow...i have been inspired :cry:

btw, nice adapter plate...and that downpipe, it almost gave me a hard-on. i had seen it in someone's avatar, but never new who had made it. absolutely gorgeous! i hope you don't mind, i saved a few of your pics.

i am actually in the middle of the making those adapters for T3 and T25 units. most folks on isuzone think the T3 is too large, i will link them to your thread and just let them DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL :D

again, you have my envy!!! :wink:

EDIT: after looking at your downpipe i am curious what you are running for an O2 sensor. if it's stock shouldn't your bung be up closer to the turbine housing? and if it's a wideband, below your wastegate so it can measure all your gases? last, as beautiful as that wastegate is, it seems out of place. like it should be at the manifold, though it is impossible because there is no where to put it there.

just my ramblings and curiousity :lol:
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby Dave M » Thu 10.05.2007, 18:14

CRAMBURY RS wrote:EDIT: after looking at your downpipe i am curious what you are running for an O2 sensor. if it's stock shouldn't your bung be up closer to the turbine housing? and if it's a wideband, below your wastegate so it can measure all your gases? last, as beautiful as that wastegate is, it seems out of place. like it should be at the manifold, though it is impossible because there is no where to put it there.

just my ramblings and curiousity :lol:

Good points! The O2 sensor I am running IS stock. I located it as close to the housing as possible, but because I'm anal about the tidiness of the engine bay, it is just below the tight spot where the power steering bracket is located. Maybe it is 3-4" further down than stock.

As for the EWG, you're right. Typically they are on the manifold. However the T3 housing I'm using is set up for an EWG (no flapper valve/no actuator - again a nice, clean engine bay :wink: ). I figured I could plumb it whatever way fit. But you're right, space limited it to downstream a bit. If I had done a new manifold, I'd have incorporated a unit right into the setup...

"Track Elan" Monaco White Elan / "Peely" Calypso Red Elan / 2007 Subaru Legacy GT-Cobb Tuned / 1993 Honda CBR600F2
Dave M
God

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Thu 10.05.2007, 23:40

this is probably a far fethced unrealistic (unless you are creative and willing) idea, but could you not remove the EGR and install the EWG off that port there :D i know it's kind of nuts, but it could work. i was just curious as to the boost creep you might get with the EWG down that far.

either way, looks amazing. cant wait to see it run :wink:
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby F1 LOTUS » Fri 11.05.2007, 07:05

CRAMBURY RS wrote: could you not remove the EGR and install the EWG off that port there :D i know it's kind of nuts, but it could work.

That's good thinking :)
This could be the beginings of a bolt-on boost creep killer 8) ...
Just got to figure out a neat way to either silence the exhaust gases or plumb them back into the downpipe?...
F1 LOTUS
God

Postby Dave M » Fri 11.05.2007, 13:37

That's a great location - if only I didn't have my EGT probe stuck in there already! :wink:

You guys are absolutely right that it could be a great bolt-on location. The only concerns would be 1) the plumbing to get the exhaust gases into the main exhaust - yikes...there's not a lot of room there. Though you could mount the EWG lower like I did on the other side of the turbo. Guess you wouldn't *have* to re-connect with the main exhaust either. Might be a bit loud - but that could be fun! 2) the hole for the EGR is ~3/8" dia. I don't remember how much material is there to open it up more, but flow would be a concern. FWIW, the opening on the T3 for the wastegate is 1" dia.

I may have a new project for Peely... Got to take a look at the car in a new way tonight!

Dave M
God

Postby Dave M » Fri 11.05.2007, 13:47

CRAMBURY RS wrote:i was just curious as to the boost creep you might get with the EWG down that far.

Right now at ~21 psi, I get rock solid boost control. No creep whatsoever.

Remember that there is very little volume in the stock manifold. I've only added about 6" of exhaust before the EWG, so there's not much space to fill before it is pressurized. Once it opens, the key is having a large enough port for the gas to escape and enough pressure to control the opening/closing. That appears to be the failing of the stock flapper set-up when at higher boost levels.

Dave M
God

Postby F1 LOTUS » Fri 11.05.2007, 20:12

[/quote]
Once it opens, the key is having a large enough port for the gas to escape and enough pressure to control the opening/closing. That appears to be the failing of the stock flapper set-up when at higher boost levels.[/quote]

An additional 3/8"-1/2" dia hole to exhaust through at the EGR location could just take care of this???
F1 LOTUS
God

Postby Dave M » Fri 11.05.2007, 21:06

F1 LOTUS wrote:An additional 3/8"-1/2" dia hole to exhaust through at the EGR location could just take care of this???

Are you thinking of the EGR hole in addition to the stock flapper? That may do it...

Dave M
God

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Mon 14.05.2007, 19:18

well that should give some idea ;) i am not a big fan of emissions...AND...we don't smog test in my area so i will be removing all these EGR parts along with the solenoid actuators and the trillion vacuum lines attached to them.

i think this could be ported to about 3/4" if needed and allow for the future installation of a EWG on the manifold. then you would just need an adapter to mount it. with the EWG exit pointing downward you would probably only need a 90 degree elbow off the EWG and plumb it into the downpipe.

sorry, i dont mean to hijack you thread with my off-ball theory. but you have to admit, this may serve useful in one of your future projects :D

EDIT: wow, that is one huge pic...if you need me too i will just post the link and not the img :oops:
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby Dave M » Fri 18.05.2007, 13:50

After way too long of the car being up - for of all things, simply an alternator - she's FINALLY back on the road. Granted I had a few things in-between that delayed things, like winter, another Elan, tax busy-season, and a near-death experience, but hey! :roll:

It was VERY interesting having been driving a relatively stock Elan for a while, then getting back into this car. Definitely not a stock feel: the Momos sit lower, the exhaust note is a bit louder, the clutch isn't as easy to slip at stoplights...not quite as "comfortable" some would say. However it started (as always) on the first crank after 5 months, idles smoothly, and runs like a dream. Get into the boost and any "stock" feel is immediately gone. Dear goodness I forgot how quick this car is! :shock: A 10-20 HP increase is seat-of-the-pants noticeable. When you're talking ~150 HP increase, it's a whole different story. I was traffic-limited on how much fun I could have, but a few pulls in 5th from 80 mph feel like the stock car in 2nd or 3rd at full tilt. Amazing - it'll be hard to get the smile off my face today. For sure didn't need my usual coffee to wake up! :wink:

I'm off to a track day on Monday, so I'll have more of a report on the wheels, the new adjustable proportioning on the brakes and everything else. The pictures below aren't the best from this morning, so I'll also try to get some better shots of the wheels in the next day or so.

Man I love this car...
Attachments
may 2007 1.JPG
may 2007 1.JPG (96.64 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
may 2007 2.JPG
may 2007 2.JPG (92.16 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
may 2007 3.JPG
may 2007 3.JPG (109.65 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
new wheels.JPG
The new Racing Dynamics wheels
new wheels.JPG (119.7 KiB) Viewed 2216 times

Dave M
God

Postby Monty » Fri 18.05.2007, 14:27

Dave,

Good to see u`r back to good health and getting back to tackdays. The car is looking good.

When u going to do some footage when u`r out on track? :-D
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Mon 21.05.2007, 16:59

just stunning... :wink:

if i may...black powdercoated mesh in the front bumper openings would make it look more agressive and would retain the "sleeper" look as well as match the rims and top 8)

i feel bad for anyone that underestimates your carrito...thy're gonna be in for a serious asswhoooooooooooopin!!! :!: (sound of a whip snapping in the background)

and i second the motion on the video. i would love to show the isuzone boys what an elan can do!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby Mike » Sat 26.05.2007, 03:14

Hi, Dave. Can't believe you could lose more weight. The last time I saw you in St. Louis, you were thin as a rail. Nice, new V700's on the Elan. If you still have a passenger's seat, let me have a shot at LOG 27 track day-after all, you were not victorious in B'ham until I rode with you. What could you have done that day w/o a probable blown head gasket? Fastest time overall, no doubt. I remember a Caterham just nosed you out.

Mike
Mike
Enthusiast

Postby Dave M » Tue 05.06.2007, 15:51

Yeah, Mike...I sure didn't have much extra mass to give. Getting blood-thinner shots in my stomach those weeks was made worse by the fact I had no real fat layer to put it into. :smt087 I think I'm finally back to within 5 pounds of my original weight now. Hey, it makes the Elan faster, though! :lol:

You for sure have a seat at the LOG. Having a passenger really does make a difference in balance, as we found out at the autocross, eh? I ran with a passenger at a recent track day and found braking much easier, too. I would lock the passenger-side tires much easier without someone there. Hope all is well with you and will see you in CO.

Dave M
God

Track Elan

Postby algirdas » Wed 06.06.2007, 04:17

Dear Dave:

Save one lap for me!

Sincerely,

Algirdas
Noli illegitemi carborundum.
algirdas

Postby Dave M » Thu 07.06.2007, 03:09

A few weeks back our Chicago Lotus club held a track day at Blackhawk Raceway northwest of Chicago. http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/ It’s a neat little track with some tight stuff and two fairly long straights where you can get some fairly good speed. I was in the 110-120 mph range before some hard braking for 90 degree, 3rd gear corners at the end of each. We had a great range of cars, but only an average assortment of Lotuses (mine was the only Elan, a few Esprits, a few Sevens/Caterhams, and the usual compliment of Elise/Exiges). The most interesting being a pair of Noble M400s and an Ariel Atom.

I was very interested to get out on track after installing the adjustable proportioning valves. As some may remember, since installing the AP Racing front brake upgrade, I’ve had a serious bias toward the front that results in on-track fade as the front brakes appear to be doing most of the stopping. I started the day on my old Kumho V700s mounted to my stock wheels as I dialed in the proportioning valves. I didn’t want to flat-spot the brand new tires on the new black wheels! The placement of the valves (right under the driver’s seat) worked very well as I was able to reach down on the straights and give a few more twists as the sessions went on. Finally I got to a point where the rears were starting to lock under the heaviest of braking. And unlike most recent track days, I was able to stay out for the whole session unless I *really* was braking late and pushing hard. In that case I did get some fade, but not the pedal-to-the-floor feeling I’d had before. That could have been partly due to the fact the brake fluid was older, but I was very pleased with the results considering it was an 80+ degree day. I also switched from the Hawk Blue pads I’d used for the last 7-8 track days and tried the Ferodo 2500. They seem to have similar stopping power and appear to be a bit easier on the rotors (the Hawks chew them up pretty good).

The Elan ran incredibly well also. The cooling issues are completely gone now. The aftermarket radiator, Samco hoses, and new water pump kept the gauge just below the ¼ mark the entire day, even in the hottest sun. With the boost up to 20-21 psi, the car pulls VERY hard, though with the sticky tires and the Quaife, I can still get grip under full power in 3rd. In 2nd, forget about it. Nothing but smoke unless you seriously modulate the throttle, though there are few places I’ve driven where I feel the need to be in 2nd. It sure was fun to catch the Elises and Exiges! I’m still a touch slower in the corners than they are (the Elan gives away a lot of weight, even after the diet mine has been on), but it was no match on the straights. Gotta love the boost… The one car that I had a blast with was a WRX STI. He could pull maybe .25-.50 second a lap on me, but we had a lot of nose-to-tail fun when we caught up to other slower cars.

I’ve posted a few pics at http://new.photos.yahoo.com/themeyersfa ... 2403863720

There are also tons of photos of all the cars at http://www.lotuscorps.org/gallery/BlackhawkFarms

There’s a few of my Elan scattered amongst all those photos (actually quite a few in the third set), but this one’s pretty interesting:

http://www.lotuscorps.org/gallery/2007B ... O/DSC00374

One: I really should look into a suspension upgrade. Sticky tires + stock springs = lean!

Two: The guy in the black Exige had to point me by…twice. ;)

However these two are my absolute favorites:

http://www.lotuscorps.org/gallery/2007B ... DSC00549_2
http://www.lotuscorps.org/gallery/2007B ... DSC00569_2

My son Zac (6) was with me during the lunch touring laps. Every time we went down the front straight, he held up his hands like he was on a rollercoaster. THAT is what being a dad is all about. :smt023

Dave M
God

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)