The Flying Cat

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: The Flying Cat

Postby rip » Mon 30.01.2012, 14:54

Great to see it is such an advanced state.
Are you bringing it to the Ace next month?
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 31.01.2012, 12:23

Hard to believe it's the same car :shock:

How will you get an MOT for the FC without lights ? Or don't you need them ? Just curious
Attachments
Track_Elan.jpg
FC.jpg
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby addict » Tue 31.01.2012, 12:58

day time mot ?
addict
Fanatic

Postby surfboardfiller » Tue 31.01.2012, 18:22

Yes the mythological daytime MOT is actually true!
If you have headlights they get tested, but if you don't then they can't fail (as I am told) however a daytime only MOT can be issued. Of course it has fully working rear lights required for all MOTs (Id be crazy not to).

I am still waiting for a down pipe from Piper but good to go if I get my old one back from them.
The Ace Cafe will be shrouded in darkness sadly, although I shall make an effort to be there for chips and a hot chocolate the 'Cat will be sleeping.

Unfortunately I have not been able to afford to build my new garage and will be moving out of the workshop/Batcave at the end of the month. :( It's too far away 45 mins drive and too expensive a store room so everything moves to my new house in anticipation of some warm weather to finish both projects and build a garage. Maybe the Esprit will have to go. :?
surfboardfiller
God

Postby rip » Wed 01.02.2012, 10:24

surfboardfiller wrote:Maybe the Esprit will have to go. :?

:smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby cliff » Fri 03.02.2012, 00:27

Shame you might lose some of your fleet. :(

The Cat looks great though. Pity Lotus didn't design the bonnet that way, would have made things much easier.

Would be the ultimate group group buy though! :wink: :lol:
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
Fanatic

Postby rip » Fri 03.02.2012, 12:34

cliff wrote:Pity Lotus didn't design the bonnet that way, would have made things much easier.

Would be the ultimate group group buy though! :wink: :lol:

Good luck with adjusting your headlights then. BMW 'Mini' has lights in its bonnet. I'll bet they're a right pain to adjust.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby surfboardfiller » Fri 03.02.2012, 13:54

I think the mini Adjusts its self.
The 'Cat will have headlights fitted eventually (not pop up ones though) with clear covers in the bonnet shell and the light units fitted to the inner clam where they used to be.
Holes could be easily be cut in the bonnet shell for the original pop up ones to fit through though.

There was a BMW in having the headlight bulbs replaced, book time was 2.5 hours! Only BMW drivers would put up with that.
surfboardfiller
God

Postby rip » Fri 03.02.2012, 18:00

surfboardfiller wrote:I think the mini Adjusts its self.
There was a BMW in having the headlight bulbs replaced, book time was 2.5 hours!

:smt013
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby surfboardfiller » Fri 03.02.2012, 21:01

Yes, does seem strange, but the Mini is not really a BMW, it's a 'Mini' which I believe is a company owned by BMW who manufacture cars in England, whilst all BMWs are imported.
I don't think mini owners would put up with a 2.5 hour service bill for 2 bulbs.
This may explain why the mini is better. :lol:
surfboardfiller
God

Postby ashm » Sat 26.05.2012, 09:26

Years ago as a student I actually worked at the BMW Group plant in Cowley for a while, on the assembly line.
Whilst I was there the BMW brand was very strongly promoted everywhere - it was made very clear that we were working for BMW, in a BMW factory and building a BMW car. It was never referred to as the Mini plant, always the BMW Group plant, and the vast majority of senior staff and Engineers seemed to be German. They even had their own fancy canteen away from us oiks!
Some things about the plant were really cool and impressive, some were horrible. The line was so precisely time & motion managed that it was an extremely hard, stressful and unpleasant job.
Most of the people on the line were doing a good job, but I found more than a few lunch wrappers stuffed into crevices in the cars by the time they got to me, and a fairly large proportion of the cars didn't work properly when they rolled off the line.

Ad
ashm
God

Postby surfboardfiller » Sun 27.05.2012, 23:55

It's still run as a BMW plant but the brand is handled differently for a different consumer market to the BMW cars. A friend told me all the cars in the main car park had to be BMW's and all parked facing forward.
She didn't have a BMW so was not allowed to park in the main car park.
surfboardfiller
God

Postby ashm » Mon 28.05.2012, 01:03

surfboardfiller wrote:It's still run as a BMW plant but the brand is handled differently for a different consumer market to the BMW cars. A friend told me all the cars in the main car park had to be BMW's and all parked facing forward.

I can imagine that - makes sense given the way they operated there. I totally agree about the difference in the branding & market. I think I saw a Mini 4x4 the other day, that was weird.
ashm
God

Postby surfboardfiller » Fri 06.07.2012, 22:39

Well, after it starting before Christmas and then not starting in January, I finally got my act together and pulled off the starter motor.
I sent it to WOSP and they completely rebuilt it for about £50 +vat. Put a new gear on it and all. They said the contacts had worn and one was slighly lower than the other....

... Not any more! I stuck it on the car and my new Yuasa Battery arrived this week and went in the other day.

Starter Rebuild 01.JPG

I cranked it over a few times to get the oil up but before I started it I noticed some smoke coming from the plenum. :(

Looks like I have a bad (fuel injector) earth, it's burned through the tape wrapped around it.

BurnedEarth.JPG

On closer inspection the wiring is bodged on the injector rail, being bridged from 1 to 3 this is also burned out. The Green wire was once Blue :( :?

Bridge Brown wire IJ3 sm.jpg
Last edited by surfboardfiller on Sun 26.02.2017, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
surfboardfiller
God

Postby surfboardfiller » Sun 26.08.2012, 19:25

Thanks to Dave Pink I have a decent wiring loom for the engine, all installed and the engine runs well now! :-D

Only problems are the ECU and fuel pump blowing fuzes, I suspect the new fuel pump is just drawing more power than the standard 7.5 Amp but I'm slightly worried about the ECU.

Next step is to run a heavier earth down the centre of the car to eliminate any bad earth issues.
surfboardfiller
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 26.08.2012, 20:17

surfboardfiller wrote: I have a decent wiring loom for the engine, all installed and the engine runs well now! :-D

I'm glad it's of use to you - better than gathering cobwebs here :D

I can't offer any sort of informed advice on the 'new' issues - I'm not an expert on diagnoses, just a spanner-weilding monkey. If i can see a problem, or am told what is the issue, I'm happy to have a go at fixing things, but not an expert in the electrical system :?
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby surfboardfiller » Sun 30.09.2012, 21:31

Well Carl came over the other day and set up the Elanscan, it revealed that everything seems to be working except a coolant temperature sensor for the engine management to work, which is a big thing (even though the bit that's broken is a small thing). Carl fitted a temparory electronic sensor to the harness and on placing it in a cup of warm water the EMC started to tune it's self to a nice clean idle.

I need to tidy up my improvised wiring harness so it's a bit less dodgy now I know it works. Odly Carl was more surprised than I was that the car didn't have more problems. :?
surfboardfiller
God

Postby Monty » Mon 01.10.2012, 14:42

surfboardfiller wrote: Odly Carl was more surprised than I was that the car didn't have more problems. :?

:lol:
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Rob P » Sun 22.01.2017, 21:21

Reading through some older topics on the forum and came across this one, a lot of the pictures appear to have disappeared, did this car ever get completed and if so what did it look like in its finished state
Looks like a really ambitious project and some excellent work gone into it
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby surfboardfiller » Sun 26.02.2017, 22:26

Yes, it has progressed a fair bit although I sold my house along with my open air workshop /plot of land :wink: so its been mothballed over winter. I downsized and need to sort out two other Elans to make room for this to go ahead.

Lots of work done on Electrics and suspension but nothing really to see.

Thanks for pointing out the broken links, I just uploaded the missing pictures; so there are no links to break now. :D
surfboardfiller
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Car (Major)