Me, Stripey and other various ramblings

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Postby Enright » Sun 04.03.2007, 12:03

How did you manage to get over 200BHP?
Did you miss out a bit about a chip or was this in the days before and you used an MBC or something?
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Sy V » Sun 04.03.2007, 12:38

Yep, this was MBC and FCD assisted.

You see, this is where the memory let's me down, if I can't find a receipt to jog it, the facts may get omitted - sorry.

So assistance was via PM exhaust, MBC, dump valve, FCD, K&N air filter, Magnecor leads and the plugs.
Last edited by Sy V on Sun 04.03.2007, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby clemo » Sun 04.03.2007, 13:21

Sy V wrote:
You see, this is where the memory let's me down, .

how very BRG...
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby ESM » Sun 04.03.2007, 19:52

I remember talking to Sy about chips around the time of the dyno shoot-out, I think he had an early chip prototype but his desire for world domination led him to choose the monstrous MBC+FDC in preference :roll: Probably hadn't fitted it yet because I was making him take the old gear out!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit on your arse with a blank look on your face.

Click on my WWW link for information on chips and ElanScan.
ESM
God

Postby Sy V » Tue 06.03.2007, 19:20

The Tribologist is correct, as always.

World domination, now there's a thought - strange concept and probably unachievable with the likes of Costas about.

BTW, here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Tribology is the science and technology of friction, lubrication, and wear, {sounds like fun: SV) derived from the Greek tribo meaning "I rub". Formally defined, it is the science and technology of interacting surfaces in relative motion and all practices related thereto (all practices!: SV).

Applications

The study of tribology is commonly applied in bearing design but extends into other almost any aspect of modern technology, even to such unlikely areas as hair conditioners and cosmetics such as lipstick, powders and lipgloss (LIPGLOSS : Alan!: SV).

I think I may have hijacked my own thread... :cry:

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Sy V » Tue 06.03.2007, 20:11

Late 2003 I saw the light and did a little testing of Alan's chips, I was terryfied at the thought of having to fit the daughter board etc myself, but eventually I bit the bullet and I even took a couple of pictures.

I was absolutely amazed at the difference even the early chip made, and sent a few .ecu files back to the maestro. Alan was far from happy, he kept having a pop at me to quit wheel spinning and let him have some interpretable data. Wheelspinning was so easy though. In fact it was difficult to get the power down sometimes. I'll let Alan have the honour of explaining this unexpected performance...

Suffice it to say that given all this extra power, I thought it wise to be able to read the dials infront of me and bought a Calibra white dial set off e-bay and Dave Meyers sent me over some white Phantom boost, oil pressure and volt meter dials which we christened the 'fun boy three'.

In early 2004, I booked the car in for a respray at a bodyshop around the corner from Horizon Motorsports. I had just made contact with Horizon, on behalf of MLOC and a lot of the Elise guys were starting to use them regularly. Mike (HMS) introduced me to the foreman of the body shop and I think it was taken for granted that a good job, at the right price should see them in good stead for continued Lotus custom. I have to say that I was absolutely delighted with the quality of the workmanship. But, if you ever plan to have a respray done, don't arrange to inspect your car ubtil it's finished...what a shock!

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Sy V » Tue 06.03.2007, 20:40

One Monday morning on my commute to London I was hurtling down the M40 (having taken my Stugeron) when, up from the back wheel of a car in front flew, what can only be described as, a coach bolt.
It impacted the windscreen with an horrific crack and chipped the glass.
When I came to drive home the next Friday I noticed that the chip had grown a tail and, in time (no more than a month) this transformed itself into an enormous 'S' shaped crack from top to bottom of the screen.
I duly inspected my insurance and after a lot of haggling (and me sending them the relevant page of the handbook) they agreed to change the A post seals as well - you could get them in those days, boys!.
All parts were ordered through PM and, at the appointed time the fitters from Autoshields turned up to do the job at PM's.
Apparently they stood around scratching their heads for a while and then began...within 30-odd minutes one of them managed (while his mate had gone off somewhere in his van) to put a Stanley knife through his thigh, This then meant the PM had to drive this pillock to Redditch A&E.
To cut a very convoluted story short, PM's staff ended up doing the work and I paid him the entire bill (£835.91) which, without my excess of 50 quid, was reclaimed from my insurance.
There then followed a concerted effort of hoarding.
LSD, front TCA and rear wishbones, refurbished rear calipers, bushes, hard top, AB Gear Cables, uprated clutch and pressure plate etc. In November 2004 (after Stoneleigh) I gave my car to HMS to do this rather major job which my health at the time precluded me from attempting. I have to be very careful here, because I have never posted about this before and I don't want to get involved in a shouting match (or worse) with HMS. This task (it was agreed) would be on an 'as and when' basis, but the drop dead date was Donington , the next Spring.
Nothing stated until at least February 2005 and I was worried, but I took some pictures of the progress:

AB Motor Sports Gear Cables

Uprated Pressure Plate, Six puck Clutch and AASCO flywheel

Elevation

With Donington looming I was getting very worried, on the Friday before the show, the car failed it's MOT (whilst still in HMS hands) due to a leaking rear braided brake line that they had fitted (and something else which they'd worked on - I can't remember now).

They had left no time for a retest, and I attended Donington sans Stripey.
But, not before they'd shown me the bill that I would have to pay when collecting the car.

Blow it up - have a laugh.
Attachments
A.jpg
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 125 times

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Sy V » Tue 06.03.2007, 20:46

As a postscript to the HMS episode, I have the following things to add.

Apart from what I've already alluded to they:

Left off a rear caliper pad retaining clip.
Fitted the front discs the wrong way round.
Twisted the AB Gear cables in the tunnel.
Shagged (stripped the thread) the front anti roll bar ball joint by over tightening with an airgun.

All of which I discovered in the ensuing months.

I have never since recommended them to a fellow Elan owner.

P.S. Their Geo set up however, was exemplary. Stripey now handles like an Elan.

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Paul.P » Tue 06.03.2007, 20:49

Emmm Sy, & i thought they had agreed to do it on the cheap ?, as one northern nutter would say Billy Bargain !
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Postby Ekapol » Tue 06.03.2007, 20:51

No, not that number :shock: :shock:
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Postby Dico » Wed 07.03.2007, 11:38

5 1/2 grand!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Kinell !!!!!

Thats just unbelievable :shock:

Great project thread though. Love the pics.
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder

Postby Darren » Fri 09.03.2007, 11:56

Sy V wrote:This picture was taken seconds before Stripey spat the hose out of her exhaust...

I remember it well, not only was I there but I have the video to prove it (click on the picture below).

Darren
Open mouth, insert foot.
Darren
God

Postby Ekapol » Fri 09.03.2007, 23:03

Two Hundred Five BHP :burnout:
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Postby Sy V » Sat 10.03.2007, 07:23

Thanks for that Darren. Not seen that for ages. 8)

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Hegg » Sat 10.03.2007, 18:45

Sy V wrote:Uprated Pressure Plate, Six puck Clutch and AASCO flywheel

I don't suppose you have the part number of that AASCO flywheel....
1995 Lotus Esprit S4, Bugatti Blue
1991 Lotus Elan, Pacific Blue
Hegg
Fanatic

Postby Sy V » Sat 10.03.2007, 20:01

It was sourced by Dave Meyers, he may have the part number, I'm afraid I don't.

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Monty » Sat 10.03.2007, 21:35

Sy V wrote:It was sourced by Dave Meyers, he may have the part number, I'm afraid I don't.

Thought u got them from Mr Bling :? there`s a thread on that some where.

Sy i remember some of the pic`s, can`t believe that was back in 2003/4. Doesn`t time fly
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Sy V » Sun 11.03.2007, 06:50

Oh yeah, you're right - sorry.

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Doug » Sun 11.03.2007, 06:54

so Dave Meyers is actually Mr Bling??!
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Sy V » Sun 11.03.2007, 06:56

Doug

If you're content with the tax you pay at present, it's not wise to have a pop at Mr M!

What was Mr Bling's name...?

Sy V
LEC Godfather

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)