Stripeless Stripey -- Zizi

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Stripeless Stripey -- Zizi

Postby Ekapol » Sat 01.09.2012, 00:06

My Clarion stereo died.. Got a new Alpine frontend installed recently. The thing was designed for iPhone integration with Pandora, Bluetooth, USB Audio, etc. Thanks much to Marie for her wonderful skill <as usual> ;-)

"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Postby cliff » Sat 01.09.2012, 01:04

Looks great.

I have the similar looking but older Alpine IDA X-100 which came with the car. I connected the USB in to a 30Gb 2.5 inch hard drive mounted under the center console tray, it works really well. To update the music only have to take out the 2 screws holding in the tray and connect the hard drive to the laptop. More secure than having an iPod rattling around in the glove compartment.

By the way, love the wheels, very similar to the Alfa multi spokes and pretty high on my shopping list.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
07 Megane CC
06 Alfa Romeo Brera

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Sat 01.09.2012, 13:41

Fancy!

Alpine HU's are great!
I installed the new Parrot Asteroid (it runs asteroid apps!) as this blends very nice in the OEM look, except for the white lights though...

Enjoy the new toy :mrgreen:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby rip » Sat 01.09.2012, 20:24

cliff wrote:To update the music only have to take out the 2 screws holding in the tray and connect the hard drive to the laptop.

Remove some screws? Sod that. Solid state is more shock resistant than a magnetic disc too :-D
I use USB flash drives. When I switch cars, I put them all into a small tub which fits in my pocket. Some of them are so small that they even stay in the head unit's face when I remove it.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Ekapol » Tue 04.06.2013, 01:46

I really enjoyed Pandora compatibility with my iPhone for the first 2 weeks or so. Then I got lazy. Currenlty I just have the USB drive plugged into the unit extension USB slot in the center console storage area all the time :-D
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Re:

Postby wegsleepregeling » Fri 01.11.2013, 13:53

OK, first of all, best thread EVER.

Second, as it's an ancient thread, Ek, do you live here in the bay anymore? We gotta meet, I need to see this thing in person. And talk audio. I've got a McIntosh/Dunlavy system you should hear!

Ekapol wrote:
F1 LOTUS wrote:Buy a new clean one :P

Really that they don't make it like they used to any more. If you look at the original tank, it has this verticle line bracing the whole tank at the back on the inside stiffen it up, which is not there in the newer design. Some people there might have thought "hey this verticle line inside the coolant tank slow down the water flow in the tank", then they just remove this bracing line in the newer design.... something they learnt from the accordion intake hose design ... lol.

And the rest - glad I've not tossed my coolant tank yet! Someone bodged the hose routing into it (perhaps someone in Hethel) and there's been downward pressure applied to the connection point. Said connection point is sort of slowly breaking off the tank. Now, though, I'm damned sure that I'm going to repair the original rather than get a new but entirely pusillanimous replacement! I reckon I'll find by the end of the thread that Ek's car now has one made of titanium or carbon fiber, which was custom made for him by a supermodel.
If you save everything 'til the last minute, it only takes a minute!
wegsleepregeling

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 01.11.2013, 20:19

Nope. Just a second aluminum one made for his other car because the plastic one crapped out. My alloy tanks seem to be pretty bulletproof in that regard and to clear the record, I'm not a supermodel. I do however have a wide skillset of which dancing is a part of and I have done some modeling in the past.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby wegsleepregeling » Fri 01.11.2013, 21:08

lotusgirlmarie wrote:Nope. Just a second aluminum one made for his other car because the plastic one crapped out. My alloy tanks seem to be pretty bulletproof in that regard and to clear the record, I'm not a supermodel. I do however have a wide skillset of which dancing is a part of and I have done some modeling in the past.

Wide skillset indeed! If you're doing such great work on aluminum, you've a wide skillset just in the world of welding. That's something I need to go after, actually. At the Ranch we've got oxy, MIG, TIG, you name it and I've only laid a handful of beads in my life. Also here's yet another example - all the most talented welders I know are women.

Are you still in the Bay Area? Is Ek? In fact, who from LEC is in or around the Bay? I went to a Golden Gate Lotus Club meeting, which was cool, though I particularly want to connect with M100 people within practical distances. On that subject, between my co-op auto shop membership (OMG a lift!), the Ranch (similarly co-op but for classical arts, industrial arts, music, pyrotechnics, debauchery, etc) and yet another warehouse where I work on my own business ventures and this crazy massive Prevost Marathon affair, I've got some crazy resources more or less at my disposal and I love to share, hang out, geek out. I'll host a gathering in a heartbeat, be it social or technical (as if they can be separated among folks like us!) Can I get a Bay Area role call? Do M100 locals here ever gather? My last automotive passion/disorder was Audi ur-quattros and I met some great people through the quattro Club's local chapter. That club was for all Audi fans, not just urq owners. Calling out for locals with the M100 affliction is akin to just looking for urq owners. There were *very* few of us! If you haven't had/worked on an urq, you might think that odd, given that they sold 102 more units in the US than Lotus did the M100. Though the damned things handle as well than the Lotus (better, I think, and much easier to drive on the edge - think Finnish rally driver reincarnated as a cat on skates), and they come with a very handy extra cylinder/pair of extra driveshafts, the Lotus trumps as a reliable, usable driver. But oh, the sound of that turbo five...

Hey a question buried in some other thread, as usual: those five spokers, those are Euro spec, correct? I like the look much much better. Same size? Also O.Z.? Anyone looking to swap? Also how the hell am I going to get my skis into this thing, and are there any traction device options that fit? Chains/cables if I must, but Spiders are what I'll really want.

Gotta run. I've got to acquire a forklift today and the clock is ticking down.
If you save everything 'til the last minute, it only takes a minute!
wegsleepregeling

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 02.11.2013, 01:27

Ekapol, Daniel (GGLC president) and I are are all in the Bay Area though myself less so as I work for an airline. I rebuilt Daniel's car and had done some services on it. Sadly, time has been quite the issue as of late with me.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Re:

Postby djcar » Wed 06.11.2013, 16:59

Where can I get all those braided lines and air hoses? That's awesome...
Ekapol wrote:You mean... perhaps... I should show you the picture of my new LGM turbo heatshield indeed :smt026

djcar
Enthusiast

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Wed 06.11.2013, 18:34

You kinda answered your own question there Many came with my turbo upgrade. The rest I did at various other times and some I did just for him.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby chrisP » Thu 07.11.2013, 14:14

Hi Ekapol
Where did you get (or what car is it from) the air filter box from, I have been looking at the OEM one for along time and thinking there must be a better alternative that would also flow better.

Regards
Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 07.11.2013, 17:02

Modified 92-95 Honda Civic
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby chrisP » Wed 20.11.2013, 13:58

Thanks Marie, any chance you could let me know what mods you made? I will have a look for one on ebay

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 21.11.2013, 01:56

Easy enough. Cut the bottom bit off of the lower box and drill one hole in the neck of the upper to accommodate the hose barb from the original box. Mind you the outlet of this box is 3" so it is larger than the trash can.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby chrisP » Thu 21.11.2013, 13:38

Thanks for the details, that is another mod to add to the list!! I am going to make an adapter ring for the turbo inlet in any case
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 21.11.2013, 16:41

Do you have my turbo upgrade?
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby chrisP » Fri 22.11.2013, 14:35

No I haven't got your upgrade, why do yo ask? I have played with different turbo intake adapters on my Audi S3, so I want to replicate those on the Elan. Its always struck me that the whole air filter, turbo intake is a parts bin special and far from optimum.
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 22.11.2013, 18:02

The IHI turbo does not have an interchangeable inlet like the KKK turbos used on Audi or the Garret I used I'm my upgrades. The ORM trash can is reasonably efficient for the purposes intended but, with a turbo upgrade it's limitations become glaringly apparent.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby chrisP » Tue 26.11.2013, 12:59

Yes I know that, what I'm planning is a bolt on adapter that would allow the use of a larger bore inlet hose, with the correct angled walls so that the Turbo has access to lots of air and doesn't waste its energy trying to pull through the plumbing. This simple change made 20 bhp on the Audi (although I'm not expecting anything like that amount on the Elan). I cannot find a good condition airbox this side of the pond, so will go the the breakers yard and see what they have that will fit.

Regards

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)