Elan fuel tank wanted

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Elan fuel tank wanted

Postby Lotusman33 » Fri 01.09.2017, 18:55

Wanted an Elan SE fuel tank, please PM or email me?

Many thanks
Dave
lotusman33@icloud.com
Silver Development Car IB10
Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Re: Elan fuel tank wanted

Postby Rambo » Fri 01.09.2017, 20:45

Try Steve Strange at DVB. Or Steve at SJS (£482 + vat a delivery :shock: :shock: )
Rambo
RosBœuf

Postby Lotusman33 » Fri 01.09.2017, 21:20

Thanks Rambo but I would never buy from Douglas valley out of principle! I did buy one from SVS but must say that was the worst experience of my life for parts and had to do a VISA claim after 6 weeks of lies.

I need to rebuild my LH headlight lift motor as well but Fiero ones are cheap enough to buy so may just replace both.

Dave :)
Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 01.09.2017, 21:31

Fiero motors are NOT interchangeable but the pellets and gears are. Don't waste your money on a Fiero motor.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Lotusman33 » Fri 01.09.2017, 21:37

Thanks for that, saved me a mistake. I will buy a repair kit instead as the motor works fine.
:cheers:
Dave
Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 01.09.2017, 21:55

Pontiac SunBird and Buick Reatte (and I think Riviera) used the same motor but they are harder to find than M100 motors.

Rock Auto shows a rebuilding service in the US but sine there is little you can actually rebuild, you can clean it up, replace the pellets and if needed, replace the plastic gear yourself for around $25.00 per side (parts from the US). Wayne has kits with the gaskets and pellets but he doesn't list the gears.

Here is a link to a seller that has the gears and pellets but no gaskets. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-96-C4-Corv ... 1845312392 I have seen other listings with the gaskets included as well, but not today.

Maybe you should post this in the headlamp section instead of the fuel tank posting?
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Fri 01.09.2017, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 01.09.2017, 21:56

Could also try lotusbits, they have had several Elans in for breaking.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Lotusman33 » Fri 01.09.2017, 22:10

Thanks guys, happy to rebuild the motor and travel to the US several times a year for work. Not in a rush as need to sort this stinking fuel tank out :lol:
I will keep watching eBay etc and try Mike at Lotusbits, the Elan will be coming off the road for winter soon anyway.

Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 01.09.2017, 22:47

Dave: What is wrong with your tank? I am assuming it is leaking, but where?
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Lotusman33 » Fri 01.09.2017, 22:57

Not sure but guessing from the filler neck as only started fuming me out when I filled it to nearly full, must admit when working on and investigating the cars past I did get a slight whiff from that area.
No leakage on the floor just a smell, certainly makes me drive with the roof down! :lol:
I could probably fix it if I drop the tank but thought if I could get a good secondhand one first it would save the hassle.
Something will turn up I am sure.

Dave
Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 01.09.2017, 23:06

you could always attempt a repair like I did (so far so good). combination of plastic welding with a good soldering iron AND covering/reinforcing with JB waterweld (or something similar).
cheap enough to be tempting. Good luck.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Enthusiast

Postby Lotusman33 » Fri 01.09.2017, 23:36

Yes good job, looked at that earlier. I would need to drop the tank first though being the filler neck which will be the option of nothing turns up.
Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 02.09.2017, 01:50

If you are not getting a puddle on the floor it may be a breather tube problem. The tanks do fail, usually on a seam, but a tube problem will be much easier and cheaper to fix so may be worth checking first.
There's a rather complicated breather with lots of pipes that shuts off to prevent fuel leaking when the car is inverted and it's the rubber 'elbow connectors' that are usually the problem.
tank breathers.JPG

If it is the tank and it needs changing, be warned... the tank is a cube that is quite a tight fit into the body and the car needs to be slightly higher than the height of the tank for it to drop straight down, after the n/s suspension & anti-roll bar are removed. Car really needs to be up on a hoist to do it safely. Had mine on axle stands standing on ramps and got the tank off but car wasn't quite high enough to get it out and trying to gain the extra couple of inches things got 'a bit too wobbly' so I gave up and put the tank back etc and drove it to my local garage. They didn't take long or charge much as all the bolts came undone dead easy.. :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusrepair » Sat 02.09.2017, 05:14

If it is in the filler neck it could be the inside steel sleeve slipped down and the plastic is deforming. I thought I had a bad tank and found that was the only problem when I went to replace mine.
Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby Lotusman33 » Sat 02.09.2017, 07:02

Phil
I have already gone down the route of replacing the breathers as went investigating before reading online, you are absolutely correct my elbows were completely shot to bits and so were replaced. I have been concerned about dropping the tank as I have a sloping drive, I would use my garage but the Esprit is off the road at the moment along with my 1960 mini so neither can be moved.
If I can get a tank you have convinced me to free everything up and get my garage to do it, great advice thanks ;-)

Chris, If it is the tube does the tank need dropping to fix it? :cheers:

Thanks again guys
Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Tue 12.09.2017, 04:52

Have a look here Lotusman........ possible tank for sale ????

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=26253
Rambo
RosBœuf

Postby Kipperozzy » Tue 12.09.2017, 17:48

Hi Lotusman, when I filled up and parked on my sloping drive pointing down , I noticed a leak so syphoned off some petrol until it stopped Leaking .i couldn't see any leak after removing the access panel and after researching on this forum decided it was a cracked tank. I decided to obtain a second hand one and only DV had one available so I bought it and used KB to remove the old one as I don't have the facility to change and didn't want to take the chance with petrol having seen a steel tank blow up while someone didn't remove all the fumes before welding !
Anyway it turned out that the top seal on the tank was leaking so was replaced with the one that came with the sh one and has been fine since.
I still have the original tank but am holding onto it as this seems to be something that could fail some time in the future .
Apart from the price , I found DV breakers service was fine and a source for parts.
Kipperozzy
Tinkerer

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted