N/s central locking

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

N/s central locking

Postby Tannerman » Sat 01.09.2018, 12:17

Anyone got the N/s central locking mechanism (passenger side) DVB have one on EBay for £90 lol

Cheers John
Lotus Elan M100 1990 (red
VW Tiguan R Line
Ford Transit Jumbo
Toyota Celica 25 th anniversary model
Tannerman
Enthusiast

Re: N/s central locking

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 02.09.2018, 14:53

Tannerman wrote:Anyone got the N/s central locking mechanism (passenger side) DVB have one on EBay for £90 lol

Cheers John

John: What exactly is wrong with your latch? Individual parts are available. Is the latch broken (actuator won't stay attached) or is the actuator bad?

For those NOT from the UK, he is looking for the LEFT side latch. (Passengers sit on the right side in LHD cars)

BTW, DVB watches LEC requests for parts and offers what we ask for (at their very reasonable prices). I know that is how business works, but driving the prices up because someone NEEDS something is less than polite. I look at their eBay listings every day and I am amazed at how many recently requested bits appear not long after a post is made.

"The owner of the only whorehouse in town can/will charge whatever they want"
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby sideways » Sun 02.09.2018, 22:24

Tannerman wrote:Anyone got the N/s central locking mechanism (passenger side) DVB have one on EBay for £90 lol

Cheers John

Oh...they have central locking? I wondered about that, my recently acquired came with just a single key and I drive top down all the time but I do like central locking.

Must contact the previous owner to see if he has the fob thingie...

This car gets more interesting by the day. :D
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 02.09.2018, 22:55

UK cars came with mandatory theft and security requirements so they had an alarm system with fob controlled door locks.

The US SEs have connections in the battery box area that provide access to the connections for an second party alarm systems (with key fobs). I believe there is/was an adapter harness that matched up to the connections, but I is no longer available.

The other cars came with a KEY controlled lock/unlock system that allowed you to unlock one door and by holding it a bit longer, it would unlock the other side as well.

It did other useful things, but my car has been disassembled for a long time and I am too lazy to read the owner's manual and service manual (available as a download from the link at the top of the LEC page or in my signature).

That said, the locks are basic GM (Pontiac) locks with electronic servos that will electronically move the other lock when requested. The Door and Boot keys are the same JMA GM12E for GM B45-H (standard GM key - use the Fiero 1986 for a reference) while the ignition is an Opel key JMA OPD for Opel, Ilco: HF59R, Silca: YM28P or YO59P. Most of the ignition key blanks are obsolete in North America, but the JMA OPD does still show up occasionally.

On a separate note, there is no easy way to unlock the boot if you lock your keys inside or worse, lose your keys. You should get some spares made. The ignition key is not going to be found at your local locksmith as they have not been used on anything in North America except maybe a few Yamaha 4wheelers.

The Key Cut Codes are still available for Lotus. I went to Andy Graham in the UK for mine, but he had the US Customer Services Manager send me the email with the codes.

I have key blanks somewhere around here, but I ordered them just before life got complicated and I put them somewhere safe and don't remember where that is. If I can build up a head of steam, I will go out to the shop and look through the pile of shipments that haven't made it to the sorting table or bin locations. If you want to order some, you can use: http://www.mrlock.com/index.php?route=p ... ct_id=3592 for the ignition key. B45 keys are everywhere.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sun 02.09.2018, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby sideways » Sun 02.09.2018, 23:01

You are a very helpful person Britcarnut, or BCN as I will now address you.

When I switch off the ignition AND remove the keys I hear three very faint beeps so something is in there.

As far as the keys, first thing I did was have copies made of the door/trunk keys but the Canadian Tire place couldn't do the ignition one so I will order a couple and have them cut.

Lovely site this... :D
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Tinkerer

Postby Tannerman » Mon 10.09.2018, 09:23

It’s never worked since I’ve owned the car (10 years) I assume the module has failed it doesn’t put the knob up or down (matron)
I thought If I could get s reasonable working one I’d change it out :D
Lotus Elan M100 1990 (red
VW Tiguan R Line
Ford Transit Jumbo
Toyota Celica 25 th anniversary model
Tannerman
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 10.09.2018, 13:21

The actuator portion is not too common in the UK. Here is a listing for a pair (LH & RH) in the UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-Left-R ... 3512241620?

Not a great feedback history, but not many for sale in the UK. A LOT are available in the US, but postage will be an issue.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby sideways » Sat 15.09.2018, 19:09

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:UK cars came with mandatory theft and security requirements so they had an alarm system with fob controlled door locks.

The US SEs have connections in the battery box area that provide access to the connections for an second party alarm systems (with key fobs). I believe there is/was an adapter harness that matched up to the connections, but I is no longer available.

The other cars came with a KEY controlled lock/unlock system that allowed you to unlock one door and by holding it a bit longer, it would unlock the other side as well.

It did other useful things, but my car has been disassembled for a long time and I am too lazy to read the owner's manual and service manual (available as a download from the link at the top of the LEC page or in my signature).

That said, the locks are basic GM (Pontiac) locks with electronic servos that will electronically move the other lock when requested. The Door and Boot keys are the same JMA GM12E for GM B45-H (standard GM key - use the Fiero 1986 for a reference) while the ignition is an Opel key JMA OPD for Opel, Ilco: HF59R, Silca: YM28P or YO59P. Most of the ignition key blanks are obsolete in North America, but the JMA OPD does still show up occasionally.

On a separate note, there is no easy way to unlock the boot if you lock your keys inside or worse, lose your keys. You should get some spares made. The ignition key is not going to be found at your local locksmith as they have not been used on anything in North America except maybe a few Yamaha 4wheelers.

The Key Cut Codes are still available for Lotus. I went to Andy Graham in the UK for mine, but he had the US Customer Services Manager send me the email with the codes.

I have key blanks somewhere around here, but I ordered them just before life got complicated and I put them somewhere safe and don't remember where that is. If I can build up a head of steam, I will go out to the shop and look through the pile of shipments that haven't made it to the sorting table or bin locations. If you want to order some, you can use: http://www.mrlock.com/index.php?route=p ... ct_id=3592 for the ignition key. B45 keys are everywhere.

Got a couple from mrlock, piece of cake, took them to Home Depot and they cut them for me, free of charge, total cost for two spare keys $16.71 Canadian and most of that was shipping/exchange rate.

Now I can relax, thanks for the link, BCN.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Tinkerer

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted