4th Gear Thrust Washer

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

4th Gear Thrust Washer

Postby John Syracuse » Sat 05.01.2019, 13:53

I feel like this might be a long shot, but here goes!

So in the process of rebuilding my Elan transmission, I managed to do something really stupid putting the input shaft back together and broke the 4th gear thrust washer. I checked online and it's not available for purchase anymore (GM Part number 94321336), so now I'm hoping someone here maybe has extra transmission parts laying around and is willing to give up a spare one of these.

Here's a picture of the broken one:
Broken 4th gear thrust bearing.jpg

Here's a picture of the shop manual showing where it is on the input shaft:
4th gear thrust bearing location (shop manual).jpg

And here's the broken half of it placed where it would be if it weren't broken (bearing isn't pressed on it):
4th gear thrust bearing location (actual).jpg

This really should be posted under "Elan Parts NEEDED" but since that section doesn't exist, I put it here. Anyone happen to have an extra, access to one, or know where I can procure one? You'll basically be saving my Elan's life!

Chris
f.k.a. booster on Geo Storm and Isuzu forums of yore.

Love is fleeting, POWER is eternal.
John Syracuse
Tinkerer

Re: 4th Gear Thrust Washer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 05.01.2019, 14:18

Chris, I'll look at the shafts I have out of GEO gearboxes and if I can get one off without damaging it, I will let you know.

Did the synchro baulk rings work out?

Any interest in a NEW gearbox from a NA model? Drive gears are the same but the final ratio is different.

M100-ratios.jpg
Both Turbo and NA ratios

Isn't the final drive a separate "bolt-on" section?
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby John Syracuse » Sat 05.01.2019, 16:58

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Chris, I'll look at the shafts I have out of GEO gearboxes and if I can get one off without damaging it, I will let you know.

Did the synchro baulk rings work out?

Any interest in a NEW gearbox from a NA model? Drive gears are the same but the final ratio is different.

The attachment M100-ratios.jpg is no longer available

Isn't the final drive a separate "bolt-on" section?

John, you're a lifesaver if you have an extra one, definitely let me know! From everything I've read so far, it *should* be the same on any input shaft for a Geo Storm/Isuzu Impulse. I calipered the major dimensions if you wanted something to cross it against, see the picture.

4th Gear Thrust Washer Dimensions.jpg

Alternatively, if you have an extra input shaft and don't want to remove the washer (I don't know what equipment or tools you have, but you need a bearing press to get it off) then I'm open minded to buying the whole input shaft from you, everything I've read searching for this bearing is telling me this thrust washer will be the same on all of them.

With respect to the synchro rings, I did get the BK194WS kit and all of the rings EXCEPT the two on the output shaft (which are for the 1st/2nd synchronizer) look like they work, and it appears that the reason why is that the synchro is a 3 piece and needs to be fully replaced. I believe that the right kit will be the BK194AWS kit with the three piece synchro rings, which I have ordered, but I won't know for sure until it arrives and I can compared them.

I was going to post the update once I received the new kit, but I may spend some time today getting the pics I have up to show. The one thing I do know for sure is that, at least for the transmission that is in my Elan, the BK194WS kit is *almost* right, but not for the 2nd gear synchro assembly.

I don't have interest at the moment for a new gearbox for an NA because with the extra power and low end torque that this car is going to make with the turbo 1.8L engine, I don't want to fly through gears and want to keep them tall. I don't know for sure if the final drive is on a separate "bolt-on" section, but I don't think it's fully separate from the output shaft because the shafts are all in the same location in the transmissions, so if you wanted to change a gear ratio, you have to change two gears on different shafts, otherwise the gears either won't contact or the finished assemblies will clash when you try to put them back in.

Chris

John Syracuse
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 05.01.2019, 18:11

All of the GEO/Isuzu parts list show the same part number for the washer, so it should be a direct fit. Lotus was nice enough to confirm the GM part numbers for the 5th gear parts John W. needed.

I have a shop press and lots of bearing adapters but let me find the shaft from the one I broke to get the 5th gear parts for John W.

If it looks easy, I will separate the parts and just salvage the washer for you. I am assuming you are replacing the lock nuts at the ends of the shafts since their peened portions have a tendency to fail over time.

If you find anything else you need, I have several Geo as well as four M100 gearboxes (and one Isuzu) and at least one is disassembled. I tend to hit the local "pull-it" yards when a GEO shows up since I am always looking for the gearbox parts and the MAP filter/vacuum connection from the DOHC version. The Single cam models don't use that.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 05.01.2019, 21:04

Here are pictures of the thrust washer. There are no noticeable grooves (except the inside)which both belong there. The shiny bits are just smooth and a fingernail doesn't detect any stepping or other wear. I gather you wedged something between the bearing and the gear to get room to pull the bearing. I ended up cutting the bearing so I could reach the race area and pull the remaining bit of the bearing off.

Thrust-1.jpg

Thrust-2.jpg

Thrust-3.jpg
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby John Syracuse » Sat 05.01.2019, 22:24

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Here are pictures of the thrust washer. There are no noticeable grooves (except the inside)which both belong there. The shiny bits are just smooth and a fingernail doesn't detect any stepping or other wear. I gather you wedged something between the bearing and the gear to get room to pull the bearing. I ended up cutting the bearing so I could reach the race area and pull the remaining bit of the bearing off.

Thrust-1.jpg

Thrust-2.jpg

Thrust-3.jpg

You are my hero!

Sending you an e-mail.

Thank you so much, my Lotus Elan dreams are not dead!

Chris

John Syracuse
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 05.01.2019, 23:13

email replied to.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby John Syracuse » Thu 10.01.2019, 14:29

John,

Received it yesterday, matches up perfect, thanks for the responsiveness helping me on this!

Chris

John Syracuse
Tinkerer

Postby Giniw » Thu 10.01.2019, 18:11

:D :clap:
Giniw
God

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted