MEMCAL 9930 Wanted.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

MEMCAL 9930 Wanted.

Postby Neil.G » Wed 06.10.2021, 14:50

Afternoon all,
MOT due and the end of the month and I'm in need of a 9930 chip to help with emissions, I can do an exchange with SJS but believe they're on back order with Lotus and didn't really want the car off the road in the interim. Has anyone got a spare hidden away in a box they want to sell? Or trade? I have a spare sump in pretty good condition or a cam cover that could be polished up a bit.
Cheers all.
Neil.G

Re: MEMCAL 9930 Wanted.

Postby dapinky » Wed 06.10.2021, 19:35

I have got one...... somewhere......

...... I'll try and remember to have a search through my spares in the garage.... or the loft..... or the little bedroom......

....It'll be in one of those 3 places (hopefully)

{I had it in mine when I got the car but went closed loop, and I don't remember giving it to anyone.}
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Neil.G » Thu 07.10.2021, 06:55

dapinky wrote:I have got one...... somewhere......

...... I'll try and remember to have a search through my spares in the garage.... or the loft..... or the little bedroom......

....It'll be in one of those 3 places (hopefully)

{I had it in mine when I got the car but went closed loop, and I don't remember giving it to anyone.}

That would be fantastic Dave,
You must have a tonne of spares to take up so much room. You appear to be custodial gatekeeper of all things elan, I have one of your old engines in mine.
Thanks,
Neil.
Neil.G

Postby dapinky » Sun 10.10.2021, 14:27

Neil,

I have searched through my 'usual hiding places' but failed to locate it, sorry.

I did find a 'mountain' switcher chip which has the 9929 & 9930 profiles on it (according to the writing on it), but not the original 9930 chip.

All I can think is that I have donated it to someone in the past, as I wouldn't have thrown it away. Sorry again. :(
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Neil.G » Mon 11.10.2021, 07:06

dapinky wrote:Neil,

I have searched through my 'usual hiding places' but failed to locate it, sorry.

I did find a 'mountain' switcher chip which has the 9929 & 9930 profiles on it (according to the writing on it), but not the original 9930 chip.

All I can think is that I have donated it to someone in the past, as I wouldn't have thrown it away. Sorry again. :(

Morning,
I appreciate you searching. Never mind, looks as though the SJS route is the only way forward, best get my order in pronto.
Again, thank-you for trying.
Neil.
Neil.G

Postby Neil.G » Tue 19.10.2021, 14:42

Afternoon,
My 9930 MEMCAL is on its way. Any advice on set up? I'm happy with fitting to ECU but is it a case of setting O2 potentiometer back to nominal and resetting ecu? Is it a case of counting turns of CO2 screw all the way in and then halfway back? Is the only way to use a multimetre off the car to find active window of potentiometer and screw it out to lowest setting?
Lots of questions, hopefully not all daft.
Cheers,
Neil.
Neil.G

Postby RonR » Fri 05.11.2021, 13:11

Hope you've got your emissions under control now Neil!

BTW If anyone has an Elanscan download of a 9930 prom they could send me it would be great.
I'd like to investigate what changed between 9929 and 9930, and also have an idea for a small project...
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby Neil.G » Sat 06.11.2021, 18:58

RonR wrote:Hope you've got your emissions under control now Neil!

BTW If anyone has an Elanscan download of a 9930 prom they could send me it would be great.
I'd like to investigate what changed between 9929 and 9930, and also have an idea for a small project...

Hi Ron,
Yes, new Mem-Cal made a huge difference. My previous Co2 readings were at 5-6% an obvious MOT fail with the upper Elan SE allowance set at 3.5%. Using a multimetre I set the new chip to 401 ohms and the car sailed through emissions at 2.9% :clap: . As previous posts have indicated the window of chip operation is very small and a minute turn of the screw makes a huge difference. Anyone in the same predicament should take the time to remove potentiometre and manually set it using multimetre, although spark-plugs and leads will of course play their part. Mine were changed the year before and I also used 99 ron fuel to cover all bases :D
Cheers,
Neil.
Neil.G

Postby M100-NC » Sat 04.12.2021, 20:49

Neil,

When the 9930 memcal was introduced, it was offered with the option to return your old 9929 memcal and get the "core charge" back.

I don't know if that plan is still in effect, but you might want to ask around to see if you can lower your cost for the new memcal.

JC
I am in the US and have a LARGE collection of M100 parts available for sale, both new and used.
M100-NC

Postby Neil.G » Tue 07.12.2021, 08:08

M100-NC wrote:Neil,

When the 9930 memcal was introduced, it was offered with the option to return your old 9929 memcal and get the "core charge" back.

I don't know if that plan is still in effect, but you might want to ask around to see if you can lower your cost for the new memcal.

JC

Morning JC,
Yes, thanks for the tip. i did have some money returned in exchange so very happy. It's nice to know my car won't struggle come the MOT each year due to incorrect MEMCAL.

Thanks again for your advice,
N.
Neil.G

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted