handbrake clevis assembly

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

handbrake clevis assembly

Postby GreasyJoe » Wed 11.05.2022, 23:22

Hi I'm looking for what I think is the clevis assembly. Its part of the metal "fingers" that sit either side of the handbrake cables compensator plate, and where the link pin goes through.

The original one of the fingers got spread out causing the pin to pull out when the handbrake was used.
Tried pinching the fingers together again but must have been too much for the metal and one finger gave way.
The pin with the snap on clip that holds the clevis assembly to the handbrake cables compensator looks ok still.

Anyone have any spares, or know of anyone who sells replacements. Its such a small part but is so vital for the handbrake.
Alternatively anyone know of another method of linking the two parts together?

I did manage to track down on Bell and Colvill, what I think is the part (though there's two versions but refer to VIN numbers that don't match anything I have). I've ordered the only version they have in stock, but as mentioned I'm not entirely sure its correct.

See attachments to id the part [24].

Any help would be much appreciated, especially as I spent a fortune buying and fitting brand new rear callipers and disks, just to get the handbrake to work, then this happens.

clevis assembly.JPG
clevis assembly
GreasyJoe
Tinkerer

Re: handbrake clevis assembly

Postby Simon_P » Thu 12.05.2022, 08:46

It is likley to be standard hardware.
Probably just screws on. Search for clevis fork.

Not saying that this is correct but it may help you search
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333818166512 ... media=COPY
Simon_P
God

Postby Jamie N » Thu 12.05.2022, 09:00

SE and S2 have different handbrake mechanisms Joe, both of them poor designs in comparison to modern vehicles, which is the reason I have spare ones sitting here in the junk bucket, you are welcome to
have the part you need from one of them, that clevis part is the same on both types of handbrake, the only difference is the threaded rod for adjustment is longer on the S2 but that wouldn't be a problem
as you dont need the rod, you could swap them over if need be. The part you ordered will very likely be ok but if not let me know and I will put it in the post for you.
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby GreasyJoe » Thu 12.05.2022, 17:22

Simon_P wrote:It is likley to be standard hardware.
Probably just screws on. Search for clevis fork.

Not saying that this is correct but it may help you search
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333818166512 ... media=COPY

Thanks Simon. Really helpful. I wasn’t too sure what the exact name was so looked at the usual Lotus parts site.
That example is the bit I need. Just the end part.
Should have looked elsewhere as they are cheaper at least on postage
Not sure what the size is yet but should be easy to find out
Thanks again
GreasyJoe
Tinkerer

Postby GreasyJoe » Thu 12.05.2022, 17:27

Jamie N wrote:SE and S2 have different handbrake mechanisms Joe, both of them poor designs in comparison to modern vehicles, which is the reason I have spare ones sitting here in the junk bucket, you are welcome to
have the part you need from one of them, that clevis part is the same on both types of handbrake, the only difference is the threaded rod for adjustment is longer on the S2 but that wouldn't be a problem
as you dont need the rod, you could swap them over if need be. The part you ordered will very likely be ok but if not let me know and I will put it in the post for you.

Hi Jamie
Thanks for the info yep for such a vital part you would have thought they’d use something more substantial. Though saying that it has lasted 30 years.
I think the part I’ll get should do it but will let you know either way
Appreciate your offer
GreasyJoe
Tinkerer

Postby GreasyJoe » Tue 24.05.2022, 20:21

GreasyJoe wrote:
Jamie N wrote:SE and S2 have different handbrake mechanisms Joe, both of them poor designs in comparison to modern vehicles, which is the reason I have spare ones sitting here in the junk bucket, you are welcome to

Hi Jamie
Thanks for the info yep for such a vital part you would have thought they’d use something more substantial. Though saying that it has lasted 30 years.
I think the part I’ll get should do it but will let you know either way
Appreciate your offer

Hi again
Got the parts. Came as a complete part with Clevises at each end; one with the pin/clip and the threaded rod. Around £4 plus £3.50 then vat of course. Fitted in minutes and now working. Ok so back to the other jobs I was supposed to have been doing!
GreasyJoe
Tinkerer

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted