Drivers side rear caliper

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Drivers side rear caliper

Postby B_land » Fri 07.04.2017, 17:28

Hope somebody can help - I'm after a useable drivers side rear brake calliper. Cannot currently afford the PNM upgrade this is to get me through the next few 12months :wink:

Thanks

Bruce
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Re: Drivers side rear caliper

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 07.04.2017, 19:19

Probably still got mine but they'll likely need an overhaul. We're flying home on the 12th so ping me an e-mail if you're still looking on Thursday.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Rambo » Fri 07.04.2017, 19:36

Try Flickerman too. He posted the other day that he had 3 spares. It might be quicker than getting Sangria Geoffos off his sunbed :poke:

lotusflasherman wrote:
B_land wrote:Mine failed this week - rear brake calliper weep and handbrake efficiency low. Garage has sent calliper for refurbishment :banghead: :banghead:

Shame... I've got 3 rear calipers spare. Always a good idea to come on here and ask ... quite a few hoard spare parts.
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 07.04.2017, 20:13

Rambo wrote:It might be quicker than getting Sangria Geoffos off his sunbed :poke:
Cheeky bugger. I've been hanging off the end of a windy pick (aka Kango hammer), knocking a hole in the underbuild to gain access to the septic tank today. Heart attack - what heart attack? 8)
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 07.04.2017, 23:17

Sorry Bruce, you sent me a PM which I've replied to from my tablet... Bloody Spellcheck! :banghead: I said was busy in garage rebuilding Subaru engine and wrote " and I still need bearings, oil pump , cambelt & pulleys" and it sends "and I still need beings, oil pump , camel & pulleys" which looks total gibberish :lol: I'm now back on my desktop that doesn't have such stupidity...

OK Guys ... I've got a spare pair of rear calipers that were on my SE when it flew through it's MOT on 29th September and were then removed in October to fit HiSpec calipers ... PNM want £186 for a recon' OE caliper - so what's a fair price for a used (under 50,000 miles, but still 24 years old) caliper that doesn't need reconditioning and needs to get a member back on the road quickly ?

Update... see Apollo996 has a recon drivers side rear caliper on ebay at £149.95 including P&P ...LOTUS-ELAN-M100-DRIVERS-SIDE-REAR-CALIPER-NEW Interested Bruce?
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby B_land » Sat 08.04.2017, 13:01

lotusflasherman wrote:Sorry Bruce, you sent me a PM which I've replied to from my tablet... Bloody Spellcheck! :banghead: I said was busy in garage rebuilding Subaru engine and wrote " and I still need bearings, oil pump , cambelt & pulleys" and it sends "and I still need beings, oil pump , camel & pulleys" which looks total gibberish :lol: I'm now back on my desktop that doesn't have such stupidity...

OK Guys ... I've got a spare pair of rear calipers that were on my SE when it flew through it's MOT on 29th September and were then removed in October to fit HiSpec calipers ... PNM want £186 for a recon' OE caliper - so what's a fair price for a used (under 50,000 miles, but still 24 years old) caliper that doesn't need reconditioning and needs to get a member back on the road quickly ?

Update... see Apollo996 has a recon drivers side rear caliper on ebay at £149.95 including P&P ...LOTUS-ELAN-M100-DRIVERS-SIDE-REAR-CALIPER-NEW Interested Bruce?

Thanks for the update Phil - I also have the same troubles with typing.
I've just rushed over to pick up a caliper from Apollo996 and it's now in the hands of the garage who will fit tomorrow, So fingers crossed it can be MOT'd and back on the road. I will probably source the other side before the next MOT because this will eventually need replacing as well.

Thanks again for the replies and support, hopefully this weather will hold into next week.

Bruce
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Sat 08.04.2017, 14:08

On a related issue: I'm doing a brake refurb at present, but am planning to keep the original calipers in the interests of originality. At some stage, someone has painted my calipers in a rather unpleasant lemon yellow colour, which is now flaking off.

Can someone please tell me the original caliper finish as they left the factory please?
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 08.04.2017, 15:15

Basically, clean but raw cast steel with yellow zinc brackets and levers. silver spring, bleed nipple and retaining nut.

s-l1600.jpg
click for full size
picture borrowed from eBay

To keep it like this over time, you will probably have to coat it in a high temp clear paint/finish.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Saltire » Sat 08.04.2017, 19:01

Thanks, John; clear coat is exactly what I plan to do. And the zinc's passivated, which is fine. Strip and sandblast starts tomorrow, I'll fit some new Mintext discs at the same time and hopefully back on the road middle of the week.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Rambo » Sat 08.04.2017, 19:33

B_land wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:Sorry Bruce, you sent me a PM which I've replied to from my tablet... Bloody Spellcheck! :banghead: I said was busy in garage rebuilding Subaru engine and wrote " and I still need bearings, oil pump , cambelt & pulleys" and it sends "and I still need beings, oil pump , camel & pulleys" which looks total gibberish :lol: I'm now back on my desktop that doesn't have such stupidity...

Thanks for the update Phil - I also have the same troubles with typing.
I've just rushed over to pick up a caliper from Apollo996 and it's now in the hands of the garage who will fit tomorrow, So fingers crossed it can be MOT'd and back on the road. I will probably source the other side before the next MOT because this will eventually need replacing as well.

Thanks again for the replies and support, hopefully this weather will hold into next week.

Bruce

Hmmmm :? I know whose caliper I'd have taken given the choice Bruce. At least you could guarantee it would have been in tip top order. And probably for the same price, if not cheaper :?
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted