Front left hand hub carrier

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Front left hand hub carrier

Postby peter123 » Mon 01.05.2017, 13:24

Has anybody got a front left hand side hub carrier they would like to sell,it seems that dipping mine in a phosphoric acid solution has increased the inside diameter of the tapered bores for the track rod end and ball joints,so a lesson learned there i think. :(
peter123
Tinkerer

Re: Front left hand hub carrier

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 01.05.2017, 13:33

I'm surprised if you've managed to take off sufficient metal such that the taper won't fit. Are you sure it is the right TRE - ours is a non-standard taper and although some (e.g. VW) can be made to fit, it's effectively only a point contact on the taper.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby peter123 » Mon 01.05.2017, 13:49

I must admit i am surprised, but i have tried the hub on the ball joints and track rod end and they are slack,i have also measured the small and large diameters and compared them with the right hand side hub that has not been dipped and there is between 0.2 and 0.4mm difference in comparison tapers,so unless the hub was already like this before dipping although there was no play before dipping it's the only thing i can think that has caused this to happen. :?
peter123
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Mon 01.05.2017, 19:29

As an ex analytical chemist, I would also be surprised if the phosphoric acid dip has taken off up to 0.4mm :shock:

Unless it was left in the bath a very long time and/or not washed down properly :?

PS why did you dip the hub carrier in the first place ?
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby peter123 » Mon 01.05.2017, 19:39

Here are some photos of what the problem is the first one is a photo of the hub carrier that has not been dipped in phosphoric acid solution,as you can see the ball joint taper is a nice snug fit and the tapered part sits to the top of the hole.
the second photo is the same ball joint but in the hub that was dipped in phosphoric acid solution,it's not too clear but the top of the taper section sits above the hole,there is also a gap around the top and the joint has quite a bit of play in the tapered hole,this is the same on the other ball joint taper hole and the track rod end one.
peter123
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Mon 01.05.2017, 19:45

Something looks odd if that's the same ball joint. Or have I had one too many raki's ? I don't believe the phosphoric acid can have done that as it looks like it has only had a light dip to remove the surface rust

Are you sure there's nothing causing it to sit proud ??
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby peter123 » Mon 01.05.2017, 19:57

Everything is clean,i first noticed when i tried the new febi track rod ends in the dipped one and noticed they were slack and didn't fit properly, so i thought i must have got the wrong ones, i have only just removed the driver side hub so i tried the new track rod end in it and it fits fine,so i am baffled.The taper holes don't look like they have been eaten away or have an etched appearance like you would expect if the metal had been attacked by the acid. :?
peter123
Tinkerer

Postby Simon_P » Tue 02.05.2017, 00:20

It looks like you have the hub carrier upside down.
The first picture is the bottom taper and the second picture is the top.

Not sure why you are dipping cast iron in Phosphoric (or any) acid, and it has hardly touched the corrosion - It hasn't even cleaned up let alone attacked the base metal.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 02.05.2017, 07:28

On closer inspection I would agree with Simon

And also about the phosphoric acid dip :shock:
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby peter123 » Tue 02.05.2017, 11:13

The photos were the best ones,i took more with the ball joint in both top and bottom tapers,unfortunately some came out blurred,but in both cases the hub that had been dipped had enlarged tapered holes.
I now know putting a cast part into phosphoric may not have been the best idea,i will take it as a lesson learned as i have never used it before,although i am amazed as to how much the bores have been enlarged,they were in a bucket of weak solution for a day,this was enough to clean off the scaly rust.
Here are 2 more photos i have taken with a new TRE inserted into the dipped and undipped hub.
this is the dipped hub,
and this undipped,
as you can see TRE in the dipped hub goes a lot further in than the undipped hub,as is the case with the ball joint tapers.
On a positive note though Appollo has got a second hand hub i can buy. :D
peter123
Tinkerer

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted