Door Mirrors

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Door Mirrors

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 29.08.2018, 17:55

looking for door mirrors. for a UK Car. must have the motors working and the glass included.
yellow ideally but any color will do to be honest.

My yellow car driver side wont "steer" up. but the motor is working fine, and my blue elan has the passenger side broken. so effectively i need the pair.

if your selling just pm me your location and price.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: Door Mirrors

Postby alan e » Wed 29.08.2018, 21:22

There was 2 new ones on ebay one with glass and one without glass when i looked this morning.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 29.08.2018, 23:15

Tuga2112 wrote: My yellow car driver side wont "steer" up. but the motor is working fine

You most likely need a drive pin. There are reproductions on Shapeways or I believe SJs has some or if you can wait, I have a few. If the mirror glass is what is broken, then most everyone has convex mirror sleds and they would have pins as well. You can also get a local glass house to replace the glass portion of the passenger side.

The one on eBay appears to be gone already.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 29.08.2018, 23:28

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:
Tuga2112 wrote: My yellow car driver side wont "steer" up. but the motor is working fine

You most likely need a drive pin. There are reproductions on Shapeways or I believe SJs has some or if you can wait, I have a few. If the mirror glass is what is broken, then most everyone has convex mirror sleds and they would have pins as well. You can also get a local glass house to replace the glass portion of the passenger side.

when i say the passenger is broken, I have not tested it. but when i bought the car it was like this so i think the prolem is likely the same
i will have a look online using "drive pin" as a search keyword... knowing these keywords sometimes is all thats needed
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 29.08.2018, 23:35

Best if you actually figure out what is broken. There are two drive pins and a "Cross Yoke" where the mirror connects to the motor. Motors, Pins and Yokes are still available since a lot of us bought obsolete mirror assemblies and broke them up for the individual internal bits as well as the mirrors with sleds.

The link for The Shapeways pins designed by "SuperBad" is here: http://forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewt ... 20#p236919

You can read the whole thread and then check with shapeways. You will have to do a little fettling to get the "tooth" out enough to work, but there are suggestions.

Here is a link to the pins on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ATWRJ ... arketplace
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 29.08.2018, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 29.08.2018, 23:42

the yellow car is definitely the top one that is not working.

how dangerious is it to pull out the mirror ? im afraid of damaing it further by investigating without having the parts to repair it first.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 29.08.2018, 23:52

Tuga2112 wrote:the yellow car is definitely the top one that is not working.

how dangerous is it to pull out the mirror ? I'm afraid of damaging it further by investigating without having the parts to repair it first.

If you pull from the short sides (top/bottom), you stand less chance of breaking the mirror. If you do it from the long sides, (left and right), you will most likely break the glass since the "sled" will flex enough to break the glass.

Since most serious parts are obsolete, being careful is necessary, but the drive / driven parts are still available from people like me and those that published them on Shapeways.

Here is a link for the metal version pin on Shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4VTYF ... arketplace
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Thu 30.08.2018, 21:54

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:
Tuga2112 wrote:the yellow car is definitely the top one that is not working.

how dangerous is it to pull out the mirror ? I'm afraid of damaging it further by investigating without having the parts to repair it first.

If you pull from the short sides (top/bottom), you stand less chance of breaking the mirror. If you do it from the long sides, (left and right), you will most likely break the glass since the "sled" will flex enough to break the glass.

Since most serious parts are obsolete, being careful is necessary, but the drive / driven parts are still available from people like me and those that published them on Shapeways.

Here is a link for the metal version pin on Shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4VTYF ... arketplace

pulled out the mirror as you described.
lokoed in the back and both pivots looked good. the cross section also looked ok.
put the mirror back carefully to be sure the pivots aligned correctly. and it held in place.

im not sure if theres something wrong with the cross section clips. or if the pivot just came loose after some insident with the motor spinning too much in one direction.

im no longer sure if i need anything for the yellow car now.
i still need to investigate in detail whats up with the blue car tho.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby Rambo » Fri 31.08.2018, 19:23

Tuga2112 wrote:
Brit-Car-Nut wrote:

when i say the passenger is broken, I have not tested it. but when i bought the car it was like this so i think the prolem is likely the same
i will have a look online using "drive pin" as a search keyword... knowing these keywords sometimes is all thats needed

Just use a bit of Jamie's butyl rubber wedged in. It looks far neater than a used durex box or fag packet :twisted:
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted