Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Rambo » Sun 03.07.2016, 19:01

dapinky wrote:When mine went wrong I managed to fix it (just came undone) so never got any of the uprated cables...... and the set of AB cables I did have ended up being fitted to a yellow elan up in Scottishland

8) 8) 8)
Rambo
RosBœuf

Postby dapinky » Sun 03.07.2016, 20:13

Rambo wrote:
dapinky wrote:When mine went wrong I managed to fix it (just came undone) so never got any of the uprated cables...... and the set of AB cables I did have ended up being fitted to a yellow elan up in Scottishland

8) 8) 8)

Nah - not yours.... Archies' :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 19.07.2017, 11:21

just another update.

Took car for MOT last week.

failed with brakes efficiency too low all over,
hanbrake eff too low as well
one of the headlamp lights was not working
rear passenger side wheel bearing had a bit of play

I have took the car out for a bit of a drive aroudn the block with plenty of breaking to clean up the discs. (they were rusted after 2 months siting)

re-adjusted the handbrake cables.
before tightening them, i gave them full travel, and pulled the lever a few times to allow for the self adjustment to bring the pads closer. im not sure the pads got any closer, but after that i tightened the cables again and made sure that after 4 ticks i was not able to rotate the wheels by hand. so the 7 ticks limit waslocking them hard enough that they wouldnt spin when tightening the wheel bolts.

tightened both rear wheel bearing nuts (this time according to the book with Pinky's extra suggestions)
looked over for a connection problem in the headlamp and found that the spade connector was plugged in on the side of the metal, between metal and insulation instead of between the 2 metal plates as the figure shows.

and passed the MOT.
Im very pleased, as this is the first time since i owner the car when it passed the MOT with zero expence, just a couple of days messing aroudn with bits and bobs.

The Tester told me the rear brakes are a bit unbalanced, but not enough to fail the MOT.
im thinking about getting a set of front and rear calipers from rockauto (Pinky told me fronts are reasonably priced) and swapping the rear pads as well in the enxt 3 months (while the sun is out) to prepare for next year's MOT.

will also have a read about pinky's rear brake proportioning valves. I Heard they are cheap and an easy job. soudns like another task for this year.

also part of my plans for this year, is to install a 1 DIM android radio with flip out screen like i have in my Celica.
Install the reverse camera to work with the radio.

Also ordered a timing belt kit. which as soon as arrives will be fitted, I intend to do a lot of pictures of the job, and then double post it as part ofthe project as well as a "how to" guide
1991 elan se ongoing project
1991 elan se blue off road project
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner
1998 celica SR (off the road)

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 09.08.2017, 21:25

So... the car developed a parasitic drain now.

Ive used the standard "check amp drainage while plugging fuses in and out" approach

the conclusion is that the interior lights are draining.

first thing i checked was the usuall suspect (boot light switch) which was already unplugged from 3 years ago
I have confirmed that the lights in the rear view mirror were switched off.
Removed the lights delay switch from underneath the steering wheel. and the drain is still in place.

Im currently in the process of taking out the driver side door card to replace the door switch. it hasnt worked for a few months but i only realised it now that im looking at the drain (i know it hasnt been working for months cus the projector light on the driver's side hasnt worked for a while, but i never realised the interior lights were also off, so i assumed the projector light blew, it actually still works )

I found on ebay someone advertising the rear door latch for the carlton being the same as the elan, instead of asking if that is true, i would like to know how can i confirm that by miself ? is there someplace with a parts cross reference i can access ??

according to my understanding of the wiring diagram there is only 4 things left that can cause the drain.
LH door latch mechanism
RH door latch mechanism
Alarm system unit (as far as im away my car does not have a factory alarm)
some drain happening in the rear view mirror electrics

The reason why i ruled out the lights switch is because from my understanding of the wiring diagram, the lights switch only completes a circuit after the current passes by the delay module.
i think its possible the door switches to be the problem because they are connected directly to the interior lamp and ground on the other side.

I also learn today the delay module position on the SE/NA is the same relay position as the buzzer on the S2, does that mean the S2 does not have a delay module ?

I have also dropped a question in the facebook group mostly out of curiousity, but for those who are not there.
does the delay module keeps the lights on after closing the doors ? i dont recall that ever happening on my car, and looking at the diagram i dont see how it could ?
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Postby CalElan » Fri 11.08.2017, 20:19

On my Fed car the internal lights stay on for a little while OR until I insert the key --- If I remember correctly.
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 11.08.2017, 21:44

CalElan wrote:On my Fed car the internal lights stay on for a little while OR until I insert the key --- If I remember correctly.

10 seconds.
its the delay module working as usuall my issue is a constant drain with the lights off. something in the interior lights circuitry is drawing power. but i havent had any lucj finding out what exactly yet.
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 12.08.2017, 19:45

well, found the culprit. but not really thanks to the wiring diagram or the fuse trick

after taking apart both doors, header board, disconnecting all connectors related to interior lights I still had the 0.6 drain.

As the radio was out, i noticed an oddity.
the constant feed wire in the radio is purple.
and the wires related to the interior lights at the door are also purple.

then i decided "just for fun" to unplug my USB charger that is connected in a split into the radio constant feed. aaaannnnddd... the amp reading gone from 0.6 to 0.03

after noticing that i had by pure chanse fixed the issue, i took a closer look at the USB charger, it was warm and a bit bulged. so definitely faulty.

I suspect the electrician that installed the alarm in the car crossed over purple wires from the interior lights circuitry and the radio feed. its the simplest reason i can think of that would explain how a wire from the radio would be causing a drain in the fuse related to the interior lights.

not bad for a week end, fixing a broken wire in the door friday after work (was nice to know i had a functioning door switch) and resolving the parasitic drain issue saturday.

lessons learned:
1 - avoid crimp connectors in electrical wires, soldering is much more reliable.
2 - remember to add a fuse for any aftermarket mods. (it would probably have solved the drain issue, as well as point out faster that the charger was broken)
3 - use the wiring diagrams only as a reference, since the alarm instalation in this car seems to have crossed wires between differnet circuits.

I think its about time to relist my do to's in this car for clarity of mind. but that will be done in another post someday when im not feeling lazy :D
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 06.11.2017, 21:33

Just another update.

I now had the time to look into my water leak issue....

i tried some UV dye as there was nowhere to see the water leaking from.... and apart from some UV paint around the thermostat housing i couldnt find the issue.
then i decided to check the oil just for the sake of checking.... it turns out the oil now is florecent yellow...

im guessing i need to swap the head gasket ASAP

SJS supplies a kit for 88.98 + postage + vat. the kits i found in rockauto were either 30 odd quid or 89. so is there any other place i should be checking for these kits, or is my safes bet to get it from Steve ?

I read about the job. seems like the perfect time to do the timing belt change on the car as well. however the description that i read says i need 3 floor jacks + an engine hoist. which seems odd... mostly for the fact that i cant think of a way to fit 3 floor jacks underneath the car and still have room to reach anything at all ?

if you take into account my clutch took a whole week to swap, is a head gasket change something i should be giving to my local mechanic ?

Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance.
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)