Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby Rambo » Tue 19.12.2017, 20:31

There really is a Jim Clark special limited edition. And Clemo has one. I have also known of 2 others within LEC circles :smt023

Clemo will be better able to fill you in with the finer details but for now...

* all were S2's, circa '95
* JC specials had 16" S2 wheels painted yellow
* black leather seats with red piping
* red leather Nardi steering wheel
* red door cards
* all of the specials were Lotus Metallic Racing Green (was that the correct paint Clemo ?)

I think I might have a photo of a Scottish one somewhere. I'll try and dig it out
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 20.12.2017, 02:32

lotusx180r wrote:I have been compiling a crapload of Lotus history and one of the facets of my compilation is Lotus Limited and Special Editions (LimEd and SpEd for short). I was unaware of any M100 SpEd and was skeptical when I saw the title of this thread. But if there really is an M100 JIm Clark Edition I want to know about it and add it to my compilation.

Please give some additional background and specifications if you will.

Couple of questions - Where is your 'compilation' posted for all members to see? - Link please ..

and "why the f**k? " are you skeptical when Clemo says he has a 'Jim Clark edition'... Don't you follow what's produced at Hethel? If Clemo says he has one that's good enough for me !
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby clemo » Wed 20.12.2017, 12:43

lotusx180r wrote:I have been compiling a crapload of Lotus history and one of the facets of my compilation is Lotus Limited and Special Editions (LimEd and SpEd for short). I was unaware of any M100 SpEd and was skeptical when I saw the title of this thread. But if there really is an M100 JIm Clark Edition I want to know about it and add it to my compilation.

Please give some additional background and specifications if you will.

Hello Lotusx180r ,

Well as you asked so nicely - where do i start ,

Lotus Limited and Special Editions (LimEd and SpEd for short) as you call them are little quirks that pop up quite often . Especially on our hand built cars and as an Elan owner and part of LEC pre forum from round about 2002 ( or circa for short) i have seen many odd things .

From IB cars that were never meant to be sold , to the last off the production line , From whispers told of an M100 that was made in 1997 by Lotus out of parts from the left overs for a special collector in Holland and being eagle eyed and noticing that engine numbers of the 800 LTD run actually added up to 802 and all things in between. If you keep your ear open and eye to the ground and have been around as long as i have then these anomalies eventually turn up. I have seen many off them .

If you read the footnote you will know i am a moderator and if you check the previous page you will see that Lotus cars were trying to contact me and wanted me to give them a call regarding this edition . This is not an unusual thing . Many of us mods on here have specific areas of interest . Lotus archives are a very active bunch. Which is good to know .

If we go back to your Lotus Limited and Special Editions you have missed Commemorative Editions. This is a heading that includes "others " such as the Brit Ekland - Princes Trust car and the Jim Clark commemorative Edition .

This is not limited to just the M100 but across the range of lotus cars And if you know your Lotus cars then you will know there is a very similar S4 GT ESPRIT run of 11 to commemorate the Esprit winning the GT championship that year . Though similar they couldn't call the Elan the GT winner as it wasn't a competition entry car in any series and obviously isn't an Esprit . Though the trim code is very similar and the production dates the same. The Esprit is Green and green seats and the Jim Clark has the red door inserts and piping .Which to this day is still copied in the Jim Clark Elise type 25 all abet a few tweaks .

Produced by Lotus from factory as being a short run of just 13 within the M100 - 800 LTD Edition.

As Mentioned by Rambo above (another long standing LEC member) who is correct in saying the Jim Clark commemorative edition is B21 Lotus Metallic Racing Green , Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping and yellow spoked wheels *

Run data supplied from Lotus cars . Hethel .

605 STD =B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels
60X +Radio =B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels
60X STD =B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels (Ploor)
609 STD = B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels (Clemo)
61X STD = B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels

613 STD ( Tub designated as 615 but finished as 613) =
B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels (Clemo)

615 STD ( Requested non yellow wheels , Tub 613 finished as 615) =
B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping ,

62X STD = B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels
62X STD = B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels
63X STD = B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels

63X +A/C =B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels
648 +A/C = B21 Paint, Red Nardi steering wheel , Red Leather door inserts , Black seats with red piping , yellow spoked wheels (Stimo)

Some background information .

i currently run the S2 register . And am privy to a whole wealth of knowledge . Some that owners are happy to share and some that owners are not . So i don't shout about it . I keep the register going ( much thanks to Gazza for handing over the keys ) This register if very comprehensive and historic .

We have known about these cars being as rare as hens teeth since the beginning of LEC , they pop up every now and again ( but to be fair all M100's are rare in one way or another . Be it colour run , + AC , non turbo , Non PAS , Opera glass, central hood retaining clip etc )

Back in the early 2000's when Donington was a big LEC meet up point , discussed over a pint was this edition .Which got me interested and soon after i bought 609 which unbeknown to me at the time was a Jim Clark though the wheels had been put back to silver . When getting the wheels refurbished we noticed when sanding down the wheels were yellow under the silver . ( on the search option you will find chats about it)
And later when i sold the car the guy who bought the car didn't like the wheels ( which seems often the case) swapped them with Sy ( LEC founder- god rest his soul)

SY then took up interest in the whats and whys of the Jim Clark Commemorative Edition .

For many years none have been seen for sale until one popped up at South West Lotus Centre , Again people who know their stuff.
Jim Clark with low mileage . bought by a collector which is now in storage .

Then last year Darran put his up for sale . Who knew what he had but thought it was 1/6 . Which i bought .

I too had bought back 609 some days before as a total loss . So now we have only a possible 12 cars .

I know 3 of us on here have them / me included . Other known cars are - 1 on the Isle of White , 1 in Scotland and the 1 in storage 1 = 6

So if anyone wants one there are are another 6 hiding out there somewhere OR if anyone knows the numbers of those out there i would love to know thank you .

I hope this is of use to your compilation .
Again certain parts of information has been withheld as this is a forum and not all information should be easily available . Its safe to say that We at LEC know and have spoken with those at Lotus who know .

Anyone who wishes to find comprehensive background information about this Jim Clark run or any other M100's can go via - http://www.lotuscars.com/ownership/cert ... provenance
and speak to Andy . A mind of information .

I hope this is of use to you ... And err if you know anything .. Please share ..

All the best

Clemo and all of us at LEC
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Rambo » Wed 20.12.2017, 13:45

Rambo wrote:There really is a Jim Clark special limited edition. And Clemo has one. I have also known of 2 others within LEC circles :smt023

Clemo will be better able to fill you in with the finer details but for now...

* all were S2's, circa '95
* JC specials had 16" S2 wheels painted yellow
* black leather seats with red piping
* red leather Nardi steering wheel
* red door cards
* all of the specials were Lotus Metallic Racing Green (was that the correct paint Clemo ?)

I think I might have a photo of a Scottish one somewhere. I'll try and dig it out

As promised, some photo's of the Scottish one. Sorry Clemo, I didn't get the no. but the owner lived way past Perth, near Erro.

All you can really see is that it is in Lotus MRG and has yellow S2 wheels. i thought I had a photo of the interior, with possibly the commemorative plaque and no., but can't find at present. Will post if I can find it ;-)
Attachments
JC1.jpg
JC2.jpg
JC3.jpg
JC5.jpg
JC4.jpg
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusx180r » Wed 20.12.2017, 14:55

Thanks for the additional info Clemo. Was the Jim Clark M100 and official Lotus release, or a deFacto thing at the end of the run?

I'll have to add CommEd to the title of the listing as you suggested.

FYI, I have about 40 SpLimCommEd's in the archive. They really took off with the ELise.

THe archive, which is really more of a powerpoint history of Lotus includes the following categories:

Lotus By the Numbers (listing and description of Lotus Type numbers)
Lotus Grand Prix Winners
Lotus Concept Cars and One-Offs
Lotus Limited and Special Editions
Coach Builders and Tuners
Has some Lotus DNA
Lotus Engines
Lotus by License
Lotus Ephemera
Kyle Kaulback

'56 Mark VI
'70 Type 61mX
'71 Type 69 FF
'71 Type 69 F2
'90 Lotus Omega
'91 M100 Elan
Lotus Sport 110
'05 Elise (caretaker)
'13 Evora S
lotusx180r

Postby clemo » Wed 20.12.2017, 16:06

Glad to have been of help. I will add finished photos of my car once finished ( and all the pictures of it in pieces )

Yes this is a Lotus cars commemorative edition .

Do you have any interesting M100 pictures to share ?
Alway interested in odd stories .

Rambo ,

Thanks for the photo .
The wheels are slightly wrong if I'm being picky . They should be yellow spoked with silver rims . Though anyone who had tried to replicate this will find it very difficult as the curved spoke makes it very difficult to get the edging right . Much to the pain of my pocket £££.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

clemo

Postby Rambo » Wed 20.12.2017, 19:54

You're correct Clemo. Yellow spokes etc and silver rims. I bet this owner of this JC special had his wheels refurbed and they tòok the easy option

Wow, those look good Clemo. Quality, quality, quality by your wheel refurbishers :smt023

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at Castle Combe

PS you will need to get some of those wheel ramps and chavvy mirrors so we can see your galvanised bits :lol: :lol:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby clemo » Wed 20.12.2017, 22:24

Rambo wrote:You're correct Clemo. Yellow spokes etc and silver rims. I bet this owner of this JC special had his wheels refurbed and they tòok the easy option

Wow, those look good Clemo. Quality, quality, quality by your wheel refurbishers :smt023

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at Castle Combe

PS you will need to get some of those wheel ramps and chavvy mirrors so we can see your galvanised bits :lol: :lol:

looking forward to showing it off at Castle Combe too .
clemo

Postby Rambo » Thu 21.12.2017, 05:05

Hope you're going to actually drive it there rather than bring it on a flatbed lorry wrapped in clingfilm :twisted:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby clemo » Thu 21.12.2017, 16:05

Rambo wrote:Hope you're going to actually drive it there rather than bring it on a flatbed lorry wrapped in clingfilm :twisted:

Well if it is raining i might bring the red shed.
clemo

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 21.12.2017, 23:23

clemo wrote:
Rambo wrote:Hope you're going to actually drive it there rather than bring it on a flatbed lorry wrapped in clingfilm :twisted:

Well if it is raining i might bring the red shed.

and there I was thinking as it's a Jim Clark edition it would be shown off on the track... :banghead:
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.12.2017, 11:04

Nah, probably another garage queen which will be polished to death and only be taken out on dry and sunny days :poke:

Don't even think red shed Clemo. Besides, it will have gone to a good home by then :twisted:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby clemo » Fri 22.12.2017, 17:06

This time the car is for driving ...
clemo

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.12.2017, 18:21

Good. Anyway, it will take nearly 20 years for all those nice shiny galvanised and anodised bits to rot away so get the sheer, exhilarating pleasure out of driving those twisty Torquay lanes :burnout:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 22.01.2018, 02:27

Dave - just copy the image address in Faceache and paste it using the 'Img' button ...

Last edited by lotusflasherman on Mon 22.01.2018, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 22.01.2018, 02:28

Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 22.01.2018, 02:31

Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 22.01.2018, 02:32

Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 22.01.2018, 02:33

and finally ...
clemo chassis.jpg

One of the best photo I've seen that shows what a joke that 'Strut Bar' Group Buy was... Strut Bar
Does anybody with an ounce of engineering knowledge think a bit of tube with the ends flattened bolted across the top is going to add anything to the rigidity of that structure ? :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 22.01.2018, 02:36

oops seen some more ...Image
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)