Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Wed 11.04.2018, 17:02

Rambo wrote:What happened to the guys that were originally working on your car Clemo ? Did you kick them into touch ?


I think my above statement may have been slightly misleading.
My car is still at the same place. They have since taken on Nigel as a member of staff. As luck would have it for me !
Apparently he is boring all the rest of the guys to death with stories about the M100.
I am going to speak with him tomorrow about a new hood fitting. I think he worked down at Steve Williams down sarf until he recently relocated to the up that there north.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby Rambo » Wed 11.04.2018, 19:55

That sounds good. A garage with an M100 expert on site

Where is this garage Clemo. There could be quite a few interested owners in the immediate vicinity
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 6635
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Lyne Station

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Wed 11.04.2018, 20:56

Rambo wrote:That sounds good. A garage with an M100 expert on site

Where is this garage Clemo. There could be quite a few interested owners in the immediate vicinity


Yep was thinking that . Will give them a full rating when i pick my car up.

Any ideas on which hood to choose ?
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Wed 02.05.2018, 20:17

Elan due to be MOT'd today / tomorrow .
Tax and Insure over the next few days
Back to spray shop Tuesday
Collect 10 days time.

All the worries of a nut and bolt rebuild now on my mind. Did they put all the shims back correctly when the suspension came off?
After a gearbox rebuild will the gear linkage feel smooth ? Will the turbo have seized up having been sat for so long?
Is my maiden journey to be from Stafford to Torquay ... or even Torquay to Castle Combe ...what could that throw up ?

After all this wait is my car going to be everything i hope it will be .
And after all this wait it will still look like a project car when it turns up to Castle Combe !.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby Rambo » Wed 02.05.2018, 20:23

Fingers crossed it's not Stafford to Torquay on the back of an AA recovery trailer :twisted:

Good luck Clemo
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 6635
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Lyne Station

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Wed 02.05.2018, 20:37

Rambo wrote:Fingers crossed it's not Stafford to Torquay on the back of an AA recovery trailer :twisted:

Good luck Clemo


This is a worry for sure.
Maybe i should take it for a quick run up to JamieN's house ... meet you there Mark?
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby chrisP » Thu 03.05.2018, 14:54

Good luck Clemo, that first drive after a rebuild is always interesting - I always do a 'shakedown trip' locally
User avatar
chrisP
Fanatic
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri 13.06.2003, 12:28
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Thu 03.05.2018, 18:59

chrisP wrote:Good luck Clemo, that first drive after a rebuild is always interesting - I always do a 'shakedown trip' locally


Thank you Chris . Wish i could do a local shakedown but the car is 300 odd miles away .
should know it quite well after that run though.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby Saltire » Thu 03.05.2018, 19:53

Plenty of helpful LEC members on the way home, though (including me about half way). Take out decent breakdown insurance before you go :wink:

I’m in a similar situation. I finally refitted the instrument panel today after the alarm retrofit which has taken me several months. And tomorrow I’m going to start the car for the first time in that period :cry: Then all being well, it’s MoT next week. And all being well with that, I’ll see you at CC in three weeks time!
Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Sat 05.05.2018, 00:13

Up and running teething problems .

Fuel pump continues running anddelivering to much pressure to the fuel rail = lumpy running .
upon further investigations the inertia with has been hard wired out from a yellow 10amp fuse in the footwell all the way up to the inertia switch and down to the fuel pump with some kind of cut in. Not sure why or to what effect it is bypassed. Anyway the morning of MOT my garage decided to put fresh fuel in to alleviate the problem ... it didn't . Car was working on a test drive a year ago but since then everything has been moved , replaced , fiddled with. Back to the what we know. A 12 Amp feed via a relay via the inertia via the fuel pump is causing a non shut off of the solenoid on the end of the fuel rail ? maybe a vacuum issue ? .

Anyway after much taking to diagnostic Dr Pink and the garage brings some solutions . Mr X who once worked for lotus in on it . Though this is a good thing it can also cloud the issue . These cars a now old . and some has bypassed it for a reason . I fully respect his knowledge of it is "not right' but it is functional .Is the bypass of the inertia switch the same issue as the lumpy running .... not sure .

It matters not , as after leaving mr ex Lotus to play he had removed all the extra wiring , got the inertia switch to work ( which really bothered him from a safety point of view) and the lumpiness has gone. Along the way he put the lumpiness down to a defective spliced in relay . So now all is good . His initial though was the wire was circumnavigating the ECU ... whilst I'm not to sure about that the over fuelling / pressure issue has gone and the wiring is back as it should be .

Back in for an MOT Monday ,
Paint shop Tuesday.

lets see how this shakes down.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby Saltire » Sat 05.05.2018, 07:20

Glad to hear things are progressing, Clemo. FWIW, my rule of thumb with unidentifiable wiring is that it was put there in the distant past in connection with a long-defunct immobiliser/alarm by a DIY mechanic three owners ago who is now untraceable. Naturally, he/she didn’t document the work or use standard wiring colours.

Of course, none of us has ever done that . . . :lol:

I too am scheduling an MoT next week, so we may even see each other, in our Elans, at CC. :burnout: :gathering: :cheers: :clap:
Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 05.05.2018, 11:48

The inertia switch only directs power to the fuel pump during normal running or CDL in the case of an accident. No connection to the ECU, so I agree with Nigel about a dicky relay and/or connections as the fuse is rated 7.5A and the pump is likely to demand more than that transiently. Also agree with him about safety - the inertia switch is there for a very good reason and should work as intended!
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 14219
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 05.05.2018, 16:59

GeoffSmith wrote:The inertia switch only directs power to the fuel pump during normal running or CDL in the case of an accident. No connection to the ECU, so I agree with Nigel about a dicky relay and/or connections as the fuse is rated 7.5A and the pump is likely to demand more than that transiently. Also agree with him about safety - the inertia switch is there for a very good reason and should work as intended!


Bit surprised by that Geoff as ATO fuses don't have much of a fusing factor above unity. (For non-engineers that means a 10 amp fuse will pop if goes just above 10 amps. 13 amp fuse in a mains plug to BS1362 has FF of 1.66 so takes about 21 amps before it blows.)
As I didn't think Lotus would sail that close to the wind it was a good excuse to play with my new toy recommended by Peteoddcar ...Automotive-Current-Tester-Circuit-Meter-Standard-ATO-ATC-Blade-Fuse-Car-Vehicle Max I saw was 4.2 amps. Suppose it might be a bit higher if the fuel filter hadn't been changed recently but seems the 7.5A fuse has a bit in hand.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
User avatar
lotusflasherman
God
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: Fri 05.09.2008, 00:14
Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Sat 05.05.2018, 17:09

quick update ...

Passed . no advisories ... i should blinking hope not too. Brake efficiency 100% after rebuild.
i did ask if it was infact my car he tested ! he said yes and same went for emissions . Look forward to seeing the data sheet on that.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby Saltire » Sat 05.05.2018, 17:50

:clap: :clap: See you at CC then
Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 05.05.2018, 19:16

lotusflasherman wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:The inertia switch only directs power to the fuel pump during normal running or CDL in the case of an accident. No connection to the ECU, so I agree with Nigel about a dicky relay and/or connections as the fuse is rated 7.5A and the pump is likely to demand more than that transiently. Also agree with him about safety - the inertia switch is there for a very good reason and should work as intended!


Bit surprised by that Geoff as ATO fuses don't have much of a fusing factor above unity. (For non-engineers that means a 10 amp fuse will pop if goes just above 10 amps. 13 amp fuse in a mains plug to BS1362 has FF of 1.66 so takes about 21 amps before it blows.)
As I didn't think Lotus would sail that close to the wind it was a good excuse to play with my new toy recommended by Peteoddcar ...Automotive-Current-Tester-Circuit-Meter-Standard-ATO-ATC-Blade-Fuse-Car-Vehicle Max I saw was 4.2 amps. Suppose it might be a bit higher if the fuel filter hadn't been changed recently but seems the 7.5A fuse has a bit in hand.

I'm not surprised you're reading 4.2A on a DC meter Phil, but having spent a fair bit of time in my previous existence looking at hybrid gold and aluminium bond wire burn out… the important thing is I²t for very short duration transients such as might be demanded by a pump motor. If the relay impedance was significant, then the motor may well play up as current spikes collapse the applied voltage.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 14219
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby John_W » Sat 05.05.2018, 21:54

clemo wrote:Brake efficiency 100% after rebuild.

???? Fit???

PS Congratulations -you're legal. When will we see see you somewhere north of Castle Combe? Free B&B at my place.
User avatar
John_W
Heid-bummer
 
Posts: 3522
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 12:31
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby John_W » Sat 05.05.2018, 21:57

GeoffSmith wrote:… the important thing is I²t for very short duration transients such as might be demanded by a pump motor. If the relay impedance was significant, then the motor may well play up as current spikes collapse the applied voltage.

:roll:
Yeah... tell us something we don't know.

:smt028 :smt110
User avatar
John_W
Heid-bummer
 
Posts: 3522
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 12:31
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Sat 05.05.2018, 22:27

John_W wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:… the important thing is I²t for very short duration transients such as might be demanded by a pump motor. If the relay impedance was significant, then the motor may well play up as current spikes collapse the applied voltage.

:roll:
Yeah... tell us something we don't know.

:smt028 :smt110


Actually i have no idea what they are talking about .
But anyway ..... Castle Combe here we come*



*= subject to not having any mechanical or electrical issues on my maiden voyage.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby dapinky » Sun 06.05.2018, 09:09

well, I read the posts - let me translate for you, Mr C......

...blah blah blah...numbers..... blah blah blah.... scientific stuff no-one else understands.... blah blah.

But at least it appears to be sorted :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 8165
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests