Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 06.10.2018, 19:23

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Joao,

If you need a NEW controller, I have a few. Not cheap, $90.00 + postage but less that SJs price to rebuild yours. Unfortunately, shipping from the US usually takes 7 to 10 days.

John,

good to know you have some modules.
i have seen in some other post that you were going to send some other stuff to other members on a semi group buy. although i cant remember what was the specific item in the discussion.

Im going to open up the unit in hope of finding something wrong with it that i can fix with my basic understanding of electronics. either way, this is not a cheap part whenever i source it from. so if i can refurbish it myself. i will give it a go.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 06.10.2018, 21:11

Joao,

The module was used in Pontiac Sunbirds, early Firebirds and later Fieros as well as a Buick or two, so more common over here.

I may have one or two or five working USED modules, but I would have to find them and then plug them in my car to see if they work.

I will see how I feel tomorrow and If I am up to the leaning required (my back has 2 damaged vertebrae and leaning is not a fun task), I will let you know the outcome.

At least I finally got my headlamp pods assembled and installed before the pain started, so I can test again.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Re: i think Rear Wheel bearings are starting to fail?

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 06.10.2018, 21:19

Not trying to sound like an alarmist, but if either of the bearings are damaged, it could disassemble and the hub, disc and wheel would have no idea where they are going and the wheel will go anywhere it wants - including away from the car and down the road..

It would probably cause a fair amount of damage, so, please think hard about removing the wheel, removing the caliper and removing the disc and physically looking at the bearings. Any blue-ish or brown/gold colors imply the bearing has run HOT and is likely to fail. It is really hard to drive a 3 wheel M100 and if it fails at speed, you might be testing the roll-over strength of the roof and windscreen.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 06.10.2018, 22:19

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Not trying to sound like an alarmist, but if either of the bearings are damaged, it could disassemble and the hub, disc and wheel would have no idea where they are going and the wheel will go anywhere it wants - including away from the car and down the road..

It would probably cause a fair amount of damage, so, please think hard about removing the wheel, removing the caliper and removing the disc and physically looking at the bearings. Any blue-ish or brown/gold colors imply the bearing has run HOT and is likely to fail. It is really hard to drive a 3 wheel M100 and if it fails at speed, you might be testing the roll-over strength of the roof and windscreen.

i understand your consern John.
from the discussion so far. i am not 100% sure that my problem is in the rear bearings as the noise is not constantly there but only at speed. your not the only one of the opinion that a bearing that needs replacing would make a noise "all the time" instead of exclusively at some specific speed.
im just going to give this adjustment a try and see if the sound changes or dissapears (confirming a replacement is due).
unfortunately this weekend focus was changed from the bearing to other issues so im a bit all over the place at the moment (as john_w keeps reminding me)
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby roy666 » Sun 07.10.2018, 14:39

Clemo - the other guy in the car park was moi. Sorry I had to dash off.. and Yes I still do think its the offside rear wheel bearing.. have not got around to checking as yet. will let you know.. Mike
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 07.10.2018, 20:49

took the car for a spin and i can confirm 2 things.
first.
the noise now starts to be noticeable at 55mph instead of 40.
second
when paying very close attetion to it. actually, the noise seems to be constantly there. just dificult to notice it because of all the other noises that go with having a car moving (exhaust, tyres, engine, rattles etc etc)

i will be driving the elan to work this week and over the weekend will be fitting the WV golf bearings.
if situation seems to get worse, i will just drive a different car until the weekend.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 16.10.2018, 21:03

Bearings fitted on Saturday, took the car to work and back today without the noise.
There's still some noise coming from the passenger side that doesn't seem right. But I suspect being related to the tyres age. I've had the car for 4 years now, which makes me think it's probably a good time to get new shoes anyway
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby roy666 » Thu 18.10.2018, 19:16

Further to this one chaps. I needed both bearings replaced. Got a good set from Lotus bits.. and they went in no problem. Couldnt find a torque wrench that when down to 25Nm to tighten up; jst had to guess it.. And my rear hub/discs are in a sorry state. Anyone know how to get them refurbished or are they available to purchase?? M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Thu 18.10.2018, 21:46

Hi Roy
They are available to purchase from a number of sources, including Sjs, but I will have a used pair for sale shortly (I’ve just swapped for a separate hub/disc set-up). Old ones are off a 64,000 mile S2.
Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 19.10.2018, 09:40

as Jonathan said, SJS has them. they are a bit pricey (if i recall correctly i paid something a little over £70 per corner), you may want to consider the skimming alternative,
I was not able to find anyone that would do the job on a brake lathe in my area. and the only alternative i found was 50 quid a corner which ended up being a saving of only 20 quid per disc.

but if you find someone with a brake lathe willing to do it for a reasonable price. I have 8 discs that i been collecting over the years from multiple cars that need skimming so it may be worth the trip for me :wink:
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 25.11.2018, 14:02

the newest issue that im working on now is the fan blower resistor.

i have found out recently that the 2 lower speeds dont work at all.
after an inspection of the electrical manual, i have concluded the most likely point of failure was the resistor pack for the fan speed controll.

after looking at the electrical manual and servicing manual i couldnt find the location of the Blower Resistors so after asking on FakeBook i was told they are just behind the glove compartment on the passenger side.
removing the compartment was the easiest and quiquest way to access the resistors. took them off both cars and tested on the bench, the blue car's resisotrs are fine. so i decided for the moment they will be used in the yellow car.

as i suspected, the second resistor in assembly was broken.
i am now in the process of investigating how to repair this in order to put it back on the yellow car.
Geoff has mentioned that the resistors are
"0R3, 0R7 & 2R0 all at 20W"
which i am not 100% sure how to read. but i suspect he means.300ohm, 700ohm and 2kohm. all rated to 20watt power.

location of the resistor seen from underneath
left is the broken yellow car's resistors, and right is the blue car's ones
close up fotos of each resistor unit.

and a x10 closeup of the failure point of the yellow car's resistor

I am thinking about using nicrome wire to replace the faulty coil
after some investigation. i found this on ebay which seems a reasonable price.
based on these tables
https://nockers.co.za/specifications/ni ... ight-table
i think i need about 25cm of it to get 700ohm resistance effect.

Geoff made me aware that nicrome is a PITA to solder. so i am thinking about crimping the wire into a space/fork connector and then solder the connector into assembly.

parts have been ordered. i will update when completed. unless someone tells me i am missing something important that could be dangerous ?

EDIT
one picture was duplicated
Last edited by Tuga2112 on Sun 25.11.2018, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 25.11.2018, 19:30

Joao,

I don't know what lengths you will need (but the tables on the interweb will help, and it doesn't need to be exact anyway)...

... you are reading Geoffs 'notation' correctly - industry standard way of writing resistance values..... but you can always use a multimeter on the good ones to check what they are.

If I were doing it, I would 'bodge' it a bit, and having cut the correct(ish) length of wire, I'd probably use a 'straight-through' crimp connector to join a short length of copper wire to the resistance wire (a bit of household twin and earth would probably be what I'd go for) and then solder that to the board....

... there again, I may even just clean up the break in the current set-up and join the ends together with a crimp connector :D .
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)