Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 06.10.2018, 19:23

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Joao,

If you need a NEW controller, I have a few. Not cheap, $90.00 + postage but less that SJs price to rebuild yours. Unfortunately, shipping from the US usually takes 7 to 10 days.

John,

good to know you have some modules.
i have seen in some other post that you were going to send some other stuff to other members on a semi group buy. although i cant remember what was the specific item in the discussion.

Im going to open up the unit in hope of finding something wrong with it that i can fix with my basic understanding of electronics. either way, this is not a cheap part whenever i source it from. so if i can refurbish it myself. i will give it a go.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 06.10.2018, 21:11

Joao,

The module was used in Pontiac Sunbirds, early Firebirds and later Fieros as well as a Buick or two, so more common over here.

I may have one or two or five working USED modules, but I would have to find them and then plug them in my car to see if they work.

I will see how I feel tomorrow and If I am up to the leaning required (my back has 2 damaged vertebrae and leaning is not a fun task), I will let you know the outcome.

At least I finally got my headlamp pods assembled and installed before the pain started, so I can test again.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Re: i think Rear Wheel bearings are starting to fail?

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 06.10.2018, 21:19

Not trying to sound like an alarmist, but if either of the bearings are damaged, it could disassemble and the hub, disc and wheel would have no idea where they are going and the wheel will go anywhere it wants - including away from the car and down the road..

It would probably cause a fair amount of damage, so, please think hard about removing the wheel, removing the caliper and removing the disc and physically looking at the bearings. Any blue-ish or brown/gold colors imply the bearing has run HOT and is likely to fail. It is really hard to drive a 3 wheel M100 and if it fails at speed, you might be testing the roll-over strength of the roof and windscreen.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 06.10.2018, 22:19

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Not trying to sound like an alarmist, but if either of the bearings are damaged, it could disassemble and the hub, disc and wheel would have no idea where they are going and the wheel will go anywhere it wants - including away from the car and down the road..

It would probably cause a fair amount of damage, so, please think hard about removing the wheel, removing the caliper and removing the disc and physically looking at the bearings. Any blue-ish or brown/gold colors imply the bearing has run HOT and is likely to fail. It is really hard to drive a 3 wheel M100 and if it fails at speed, you might be testing the roll-over strength of the roof and windscreen.

i understand your consern John.
from the discussion so far. i am not 100% sure that my problem is in the rear bearings as the noise is not constantly there but only at speed. your not the only one of the opinion that a bearing that needs replacing would make a noise "all the time" instead of exclusively at some specific speed.
im just going to give this adjustment a try and see if the sound changes or dissapears (confirming a replacement is due).
unfortunately this weekend focus was changed from the bearing to other issues so im a bit all over the place at the moment (as john_w keeps reminding me)
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby roy666 » Sun 07.10.2018, 14:39

Clemo - the other guy in the car park was moi. Sorry I had to dash off.. and Yes I still do think its the offside rear wheel bearing.. have not got around to checking as yet. will let you know.. Mike
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 07.10.2018, 20:49

took the car for a spin and i can confirm 2 things.
first.
the noise now starts to be noticeable at 55mph instead of 40.
second
when paying very close attetion to it. actually, the noise seems to be constantly there. just dificult to notice it because of all the other noises that go with having a car moving (exhaust, tyres, engine, rattles etc etc)

i will be driving the elan to work this week and over the weekend will be fitting the WV golf bearings.
if situation seems to get worse, i will just drive a different car until the weekend.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 16.10.2018, 21:03

Bearings fitted on Saturday, took the car to work and back today without the noise.
There's still some noise coming from the passenger side that doesn't seem right. But I suspect being related to the tyres age. I've had the car for 4 years now, which makes me think it's probably a good time to get new shoes anyway
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby roy666 » Thu 18.10.2018, 19:16

Further to this one chaps. I needed both bearings replaced. Got a good set from Lotus bits.. and they went in no problem. Couldnt find a torque wrench that when down to 25Nm to tighten up; jst had to guess it.. And my rear hub/discs are in a sorry state. Anyone know how to get them refurbished or are they available to purchase?? M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Thu 18.10.2018, 21:46

Hi Roy
They are available to purchase from a number of sources, including Sjs, but I will have a used pair for sale shortly (I’ve just swapped for a separate hub/disc set-up). Old ones are off a 64,000 mile S2.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)