Justin's I.B.10

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Justin's I.B.10

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 12.11.2018, 20:01

Thanks Jonathan. Cant get to the car at the moment...electric garage doors refuse to open :x
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Mon 12.11.2018, 20:33

JusNoGood wrote:... I'm still heavily involved in software development at work and hacking just about anything with a plug at home.

:roll:
:poke:
:twisted:
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 12.11.2018, 20:40

:clap: very good.

Unfortunately I cant plug a computer into it :-D No software involved.

The motor is working. Sounds like its disengaged from the cog to pull up the door. I cant even get in the garage at the moment to take a look :shock:
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 23.12.2018, 21:01

Very pleased with my efforts over the last few weeks.

My car is...or was quite rattly. I thought it was due to its age, the convertible roof and it being fibreglass. When I started working on the car improving a few things I kept discovering missing screws or bolts. So decided I'd go through the main parts of the car and replace any missing.

Over the last few weeks...

- Replaced the missing nuts and bolts in both front wheel arch liners. I didn't count but both arch liners were held in by only a couple of bolts
- Tightened all the dash vent screws, they were all loose!
- replaced a few missing dash bolts.
- The plastic tray in the battery/hood compartment only had a few fasteners left holding it down. So bought some new and install them. No more rattly plastic tray.
- bought and fitted a missing engine under tray

Installed some anti-rattle sticky felt in a few key places https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Took him out for a drive this afternoon and it was quiet as a mouse....even driving over pot holes. :D

As I slowed down to pull into my road, doing under 5mph, I heard a flapping noise at the rear of the car. I wouldn't have heard that previously! When I got home I checked the rear wheel arch liners and both left and right weren't attached at the bottom! So fixed those too.

It has made such a huge difference when driving. Going to be so much more relaxing driving to Italy :-D

Last job of the day thought I'll give my engine bay a quick once over to work out any other jobs I want to do another day, spotted the drivers side bonnet hinge was missing a few bolts :roll:

I do expect a few bolts to be missing on a 30 year old car but I'm surprised how many I've found to be missing. Considering the car has only 36,000 miles on it I think just about every time someone got into the car they must have removed a bolt :? No wonder it was so fast :lol:
Last edited by JusNoGood on Mon 24.12.2018, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 23.12.2018, 22:53

JusNoGood wrote:I do expect a few bolts to be missing on a 30 year old car but I'm surprised how many I've found to be missing. Considering the car has only 36,000 miles on it I think just about every time someone got into the car they must have removed a bolt :?

But you did leave it unattended at Hethel. And Dave and Dave and Dave were short of a few bits for Philippe's window repair. :lol:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 24.12.2018, 09:33

:lol:
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 17.03.2019, 20:19

Worked on my passenger door today.

IMG_6502.jpg
IMG_6502.jpg (47.11 KiB) Viewed 7231 times

It was rather slow to go up and clonked too. Turned out there was a few things wrong, Butterfly clip as broken and the black metal thing that attaches the runners to one side of the window had come away.

IMG_6503.jpg
IMG_6503.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 7231 times

Followed Toby's video as well as Speckys guide. Both very helpful :-D :bowdown: Only tricky thing was getting the glass back in the door. Really quite tricky, especially with the Mrs moaning about the cold :roll: but I couldn’t have done it on my own
Last edited by JusNoGood on Sun 17.03.2019, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Sun 17.03.2019, 21:10

Women, eh?
I’m sure she warmed up when she got into the kitchen and got your dinner on.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 17.03.2019, 21:19

I didn’t event get a cup of tea :lol:
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 21.07.2019, 22:39

Getting the car ready for my trip to Italy. I have bought a Swiss motorway Vignette and I'll order the French and Italian electronic tags too :D

Changed HT leads and air filter today. Also now have a fire extinguisher, replacement bulbs, headlight adaptors, warning triangle, high vis vests and breath tests. Rather than spend the next three weekends working under the car I think I'll take it in for someone else to do it this time :) So have the following on the list.

Engine Oil and filter.
power steering fluid
Fuel filter
Fit new Samco hoses, new temp gauge and use new Coolant
change Gearbox oil
I'll ask them to refer the rear brakes as they seem to be binding. The Fronts were swapped to HiSpec last year (about 1k ago) so they'll be fine.

@John_W, I read about your gearbox escapades. Thanks for going to the efforts of documenting that. I dont really want that happening going over the Alps so I think I'll get the mechanic to check the 5th gear nut while he has drained the gearbox oil.

I also have JC's Short shift so think I'll get the mechanic to fit that too. Really looking forward to shorter shifting :)

Have I missed anything?

Cambelt was changed 3 years ago, 2.5k miles. Spark plugs and coil packs changed last year.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 22.07.2019, 09:08

Check that your spare tyre has 60 psi in it. And your other main tyres have the requisite pressures in them. And/or carry a can of that self inflating gooey gunk Justin case :wink:

Overkill I know, but I also carry a spare bottle of antifreeze and a litre of oil. Sod's Law and all that .....

And a roll of gaffa tape and a bungee cable :wtf:

Buon viaggio :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Mon 22.07.2019, 14:33

And, judging by John_W’s recent experiences, a spare injector :lol:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 22.07.2019, 20:24

Saltire wrote:And, judging by John_W’s recent experiences, a spare injector :lol:

The Mrs doesn't let me use all 4 cylinders let alone the turbo :lol:
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 22.07.2019, 20:29

Rambo wrote:Check that your spare tyre has 60 psi in it. And your other main tyres have the requisite pressures in them. And/or carry a can of that self inflating gooey gunk Justin case :wink:

Overkill I know, but I also carry a spare bottle of antifreeze and a litre of oil. Sod's Law and all that .....

And a roll of gaffa tape and a bungee cable :wtf:

Buon viaggio :burnout:

Thanks Mark :clap:

Ah yes, good idea regarding the spare and I'm all for overkill :D

Good idea regarding the gooey gunk and gaffa. I have bungee already along with a tool kit including cable ties, superglue, electrical tape and a few other odds and sods.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 22.07.2019, 21:07

JusNoGood wrote:
Saltire wrote:And, judging by John_W’s recent experiences, a spare injector :lol:

The Mrs doesn't let me use all 4 cylinders let alone the turbo :lol:

Take a h***** to one of the f*** i******** then…

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 22.07.2019, 21:26

:shock:
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 31.08.2019, 20:04

Right think I'm ready. Now have all the tools and repair bits&bobs you guys have recommended and more besides. The new lower temp gauge installed from Rodney Dickman and fans kick in a lot earlier now :D Also got the Samcos installed and all fluids changed. He's running like a dream now

I didn't get the short shift installed unfortunately. Would have loved that for the drive over the Alpes. That'll have to be my winter project now :D

Just found a big screw in one of my rear tires :roll: Not sure I'm going to get a chance to get it fixed this week before I go :banghead: Not learnt the Italian for "can you repair my tire", might have to learn that before I go!
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 31.08.2019, 21:37

JusNoGood wrote:Just found a big screw in one of my rear tires :roll: Not sure I'm going to get a chance to get it fixed this week before I go :banghead: Not learnt the Italian for "can you repair my tire", might have to learn that before I go!

Blimey, I'd certainly find time to get it fixed. I bought a couple of spare SE wheels so I could take a full size wheel and tyre on my trips to the south of France and leave the 'bicycle wheel' behind. Fits in the well with boot floor a couple of inches higher than usual but the boot was always bigger than I needed. Get a puncture at speed and by the time you've stopped you'll likely need a new tyre not a puncture repair. French tyre shops want a King's Ransom for a standard tyre and the chances of getting the right tyre for an Elan are very slim. Takes several hours to do the 670 miles from Calais to Agde at full speed, crawling along on the spacesaver would take forever and look so embarrassing.. :oops:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 31.08.2019, 21:52

lotusflasherman wrote:
JusNoGood wrote:Just found a big screw in one of my rear tires :roll: Not sure I'm going to get a chance to get it fixed this week before I go :banghead: Not learnt the Italian for "can you repair my tire", might have to learn that before I go!

Blimey, I'd certainly find time to get it fixed. I bought a couple of spare SE wheels so I could take a full size wheel and tyre on my trips to the south of France and leave the 'bicycle wheel' behind. Fits in the well with boot floor a couple of inches higher than usual but the boot was always bigger than I needed. Get a puncture at speed and by the time you've stopped you'll likely need a new tyre not a puncture repair. French tyre shops want a King's Ransom for a standard tyre and the chances of getting the right tyre for an Elan are very slim. Takes several hours to do the 670 miles from Calais to Agde at full speed, crawling along on the spacesaver would take forever and look so embarrassing.. :oops:

Yes I will try. I've just started a new job and they weren't that happy I was starting then only working 4 weeks before going off for a 6 weeks unpaid holiday :lol: So don't think I'll get an extra afternoon or work from home day out of them this week. I think my only chance is Saturday morning so I'll try and get it booked in somewhere on Monday.

Very good idea regarding the full sized wheel. Wish I'd thought of that before but too late now. I have checked the space saver and I do have a bottle of the gunk stuff Mark recommended.

Carrying on the chat from the other thread, have you used those deflectors on one of your Elans? I really like the idea of those but I cant find any online instructions to say they will work with the more traditional lens - seems to refer a lot to new style headlights, HID and such like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HG129-00-Bende ... way&sr=8-1
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Sun 01.09.2019, 10:12

The link you posted looks a lot like the thing I’ve stuck to the headlights a couple of times. You only use the circular bit and there’s instructions on where to stick it. :shock:

They go on and come off easily and they block the light heading left (perversely by being fitted on the right side of the lens).

John

PS Have a good time, but do get the tyre fixed before you go.
John_W
Heid-bummer

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)