3D Printing of unobtainium parts

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: 3D Printing of unobtainium parts

Postby uk08462 » Wed 08.05.2019, 17:55

I was watching Car SOS last week when they printed new centre caps for the alloy wheels on a Mk1 Vauxhall Astra GTE (aka Opal Kadet GSi) which was pretty cool. This is something all car enthusiasts/clubs/forums should consider for these unobtainable parts, irrespective of the car or marque.
S2 #048 BRG
uk08462
Enthusiast

Postby NewLogik » Mon 20.05.2019, 15:12

Anyone have the .STP file for the door handle escutcheons and/or the .IGS format.

Thanks,
NewLogik
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 20.05.2019, 15:22

NewLogik wrote:Anyone have the .STP file for the door handle escutcheons and/or the .IGS format.

Thanks,

Escutcheons have already been done and getting the texture right would be difficult using a 3D printer.

Order from Wayne or me as I also have a few sets left over from the group buy of years ago. I (we) also have some of the B Post covers.

http://elanm100.com/web-shop
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 26.05.2019, 18:56

Just a little progress:

I bought a new (well...used, but for me it's new) 27" iMac to run solidwoks on! (I installed W10 native, without Bootcamp, but that's another discussion for another board :lol: ) After that I installed Solidworks (I use my University Campus licence) succesfully.
Now it's time to spend a lot (a LOT!) of hours to sharpen my modelling skills.

On the printing skills side I am learning fast and i think i am ready to print some butterfly clips in Nylon.
Today I also retrieved my OEM butterfly clips from the Archive, so i have a good model to start tinkering with. I'll keep you posted...

I also removed the passenger window today (yes, it is in the right (2x) side :mrgreen:
It turns out that one front sliders has left the Elan completely! :shock:
The other front slider was sitting on just a tiny bit of thread. No wonder it did not move anymore.
Finally the bowden cable was not sitting correctly on the winder anymore,so i took it off, rewinded and regreased it. Runs perfectly now.

I lost the screw and the nylon centering washer. Are these washers available seperately?
Finally also the plastic end that holds the spring at the end of the bowden cable broke. Same question here...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby NewLogik » Sat 06.07.2019, 23:48

HJ2 wrote:Just a little progress:

I bought a new (well...used, but for me it's new) 27" iMac to run solidwoks on! (I installed W10 native, without Bootcamp, but that's another discussion for another board :lol: ) After that I installed Solidworks (I use my University Campus licence) succesfully.
Now it's time to spend a lot (a LOT!) of hours to sharpen my modelling skills.

On the printing skills side I am learning fast and i think i am ready to print some butterfly clips in Nylon.
Today I also retrieved my OEM butterfly clips from the Archive, so i have a good model to start tinkering with. I'll keep you posted...

I also removed the passenger window today (yes, it is in the right (2x) side :mrgreen:
It turns out that one front sliders has left the Elan completely! :shock:
The other front slider was sitting on just a tiny bit of thread. No wonder it did not move anymore.
Finally the bowden cable was not sitting correctly on the winder anymore,so i took it off, rewinded and regreased it. Runs perfectly now.

I lost the screw and the nylon centering washer. Are these washers available seperately?
Finally also the plastic end that holds the spring at the end of the bowden cable broke. Same question here...

Did you had time working on getting your parts printed ? ;)
NewLogik
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 07.07.2019, 02:46

NewLogik wrote:
HJ2 wrote:Just a little progress:

All of the butterfly files from Toby have a problem with bonding the vertical portion to the wings. Until someone fixes the drawing (and STL file),
It would be best to consider the Butterfly that Wayne is offering as they are made out of the correct injection material and really work well

Finally the bowden cable was not sitting correctly on the winder anymore,so i took it off, re-winded and re-greased it. Runs perfectly now.

I lost the screw and the nylon centering washer. Are these washers available separately?
If you still need them, I have several regulators that have become part suppliers
I also have managed to make a few replacement tension spindles out of the correct Acetal (CoPolymer). The regulator rebuild company advertising on eBay uses Aluminum and I really don't see that as being the best material.

Did you had time working on getting your parts printed ? ;)

HJ, Sorry for stealing your thread, but I have not been very happy with the texture of the parts I have made with my 3D printer using ABS and Nylon. Too much grain for my use. I am now experimenting with a SLA 3D printer to make windshield corners - I just have to leave them out in the sun for a decent destruction test before I can say I am happy with them. The original "filament" ones I made had a more "cloth" texture than a semi gloss plastic - even when I had them printed by Shapeways. If you want the STL file, email me your email address.
If you need any of the parts for the window area, I have some stock from Wayne as well as the parts I have been machining for those I have fixed. I even have some Teflon rods that will replace the squeezed tubes in the outer sliders.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)