Elanoo back on the road!

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Elanoo back on the road!

Postby djwazza68 » Thu 21.05.2020, 18:56

I've finally taken the plunge to get E14N OO MOTed and she passed first time round! Very pleased, as the list of works to get to this stage have included many trips to this forum, numerous hundreds spent all over the internet and with SJ Sportscars, blood (quite a lot), sweat (plenty recently) and tears (emotions get the better of all of us on occasion).

IMG_1169-1.jpeg
Finally working properly and in the correct weather!

I've included this link if anyone wants to see the photos of the refurb: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nbWvmD2f5x5atBh2A

The car benefitted from a respray prior to my ownership which wasn't bad, just poorly masked and subsequently left me with many hours of cleaning, respraying and generally making good. The interior needed new gauges (many thanks to Saltire) and most reconnecting, but the seats and door cards had been really professionally recovered by a guy in Lincolnshire and the carpets are good. The hood was cleaned and is pretty new, but my hood seal replacement programme has stalled as far as the falling pillar is concerned, although I do need to complete the job ahead of next winter. The windows now also go up and down properly and both doors actually shut without horrible grinding noises from the fibre-glass and the front bumper and indicators are also not held together with silicon anymore. The hood mechanism has been a trial to sort out and I'm not convinced it will ever fit perfectly, but mechanically the car is now good with some new seals and a cam belt change, fully refurbished front and rear suspension and chassis repaint, new pads all round and new callipers on the back. You might see from the photos that I rebuilt the light pods too.

I have the intermittent wiper upgrade to complete and a couple of water hoses to replace and a good check of the fans before the really hot weather, but I think I am mostly there. COVID 19 has some minor silver linings for car enthusiasts, with patient families and most of the decorating/gardening already complete! I can now enjoy Elan M100 ownership properly... I'm looking forward to eventually seeing some other examples and how to improve mine further.
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Re: Elanoo back on the road!

Postby TorqueHorse » Fri 22.05.2020, 17:33

Sweet, congrats! What a great looking ride and the photo journey was great fun to look through too. I would love to learn more about your sealing journey; looks like you were building some pieces on your own? And what did you do with that foam on the underside of the engine bonnet? Did you replace it? But my favorite photo was your strange bedfellow. I've heard of sleeping in your car, but not of your car sleeping with you before ;)
TorqueHorse
Tinkerer

Postby djwazza68 » Fri 22.05.2020, 18:08

I've put some photos of the seal replacement on the forum already under the post started by Jamie (the Seal) and have halted the programme the moment. I also put a photo of the door seal replacement in the google link, that is a really easy replacement using Mitsubishi FTO seals and tidies up the doors really nicely, plus stops water leaking into the foot wells. I will have to take the falling pillar seals off at some point but it really will be a mission to get them sorted out. I really must try to understand why my boost gauge reads in reverse too!

Bonnet and bumper storage was an option when my son was at University, not available (or thankfully needed) now that he's home for the next few months!
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Postby Faeview » Sun 24.05.2020, 03:39

Do you know the part number for the Mitsubishi FTO door seals. My searches indicate two different versions.
All natural...one of 129
Faeview

Postby CallMeLegend » Sun 31.05.2020, 17:25

djwazza68 wrote:I've put some photos of the seal replacement on the forum already under the post started by Jamie (the Seal) and have halted the programme the moment. I also put a photo of the door seal replacement in the google link, that is a really easy replacement using Mitsubishi FTO seals and tidies up the doors really nicely, plus stops water leaking into the foot wells. I will have to take the falling pillar seals off at some point but it really will be a mission to get them sorted out. I really must try to understand why my boost gauge reads in reverse too!

Bonnet and bumper storage was an option when my son was at University, not available (or thankfully needed) now that he's home for the next few months!

I'd love to know more abount the FTO seal mod
CallMeLegend

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)