Step by Silky Step

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Step by Silky Step

Postby RonR » Tue 19.10.2021, 20:29

Thanks for the advice, guys.

The O2 sensor is now in pieces but at least I was able to remove it after breaking the top off. New one is on it's way from Rock Auto.
I tried the extensions / axle stand / breaker bar / jack handle on the crank pulley bolt but no go.
Eventually got the bolt undone using a mains-powered impact wrench, don't know why I didn't try it before!

Had to drill out and re-tap a front disk locating screw today, also found out that the front wheel bearing I installed last year has failed in a few hundred miles.
I bought SKF to ensure quality but it looks like it was a fake.

Note to self - ONLY order bearings from known sources.
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby chrisP » Wed 20.10.2021, 16:11

Glad you are making progress Ron

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby RonR » Mon 01.11.2021, 19:43

The cylinder head is now off and the steam cleaned top of No.1 piston confirms HGF.
Top_of_block_No1+2.jpg
No.1 piston steam cleaned

The head side of the gasket was the source of the leak - luckily only from water jacket to cylinder.
There's also a mark (yellow arrow) on the head which looks like the fire ring was breached there as well.
Head_fire_seal_leaks_No1.jpg

However I found some corrosion in the head around No.4 cylinder.
Head_corrosion_No4.jpg

The corrosion ends about 2mm from the head gasket fire ring.
I'm not sure whether to get some more material welded in or just leave it - it's taken 29 years to corrode this far - what do you think?
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby RonR » Fri 17.12.2021, 19:14

The cylinder head is back from the machine shop. :D
The head was skimmed and new bronze valve guides were fitted, as like Jonathan F I had some corrosion on the leaking cylinder's guides which restricted valve movement.
Also had a 3-angle job done on the seats as they were being re-cut anyway.
The corrosion around No.4 was well away from the fire ring even after skimming, so was left alone.
head-skimmed.jpg
Skimmed

While disconnecting the fuel injectors I managed to break one of the now brittle plastic connectors, due to the clamping spring being almost impossible to release.
I found replacements with springs which are much easier to handle - they'll be crimped AND soldered during the rebuild.
They can be found by putting "TYCO AMP Junior Power Timer 2pin Fuel injector sensor plug" into your favourite auction site search.
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Sat 18.12.2021, 09:39

Ron - did you know you had HGF, or suspected you had HGF, before you took the head off? If so, what were your particular symptons?

PS nice shiny head :smt023
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby RonR » Sat 18.12.2021, 13:04

Yes Rambo,
I suspected it earlier this year when I had the occasional mysterious loss of coolant and the hoses seemed to be under a bit more pressure than usual. There was no emulsion in the cam cover so I knew oil and water were kept apart.
The clincher was on the way back from CC when I gave it the beans with what was subsequently found to be a stuck wastegate. The turbo over-boosted which I think was the last straw for the gasket.
Next morning the car wasn't happy, misfiring and puffing steam out of the exhaust.
RonR
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)