Smaug: Return of The Green Monster

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Smaug: Return of The Green Monster

Postby Doug » Wed 27.04.2011, 06:19

Nice work.

Did you entertain the thought of putting the zero pressure line vertical? That's how my eye like my boost gauge; then my peripheral vision can see the needle going from suction to boost as the needle crests the top... Doesn't really matter, I just wanted to stimulate your brain. Too many years of seeing the Elan needle always on the left side I guess...
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby tigerdog » Wed 27.04.2011, 07:00

"Ooh, my brain hurts." e.n. gumby

Thought about it but decided to mount in horizontal position to match the others. also has the advantage of going vertical when boost crosses the "Holy $hit" line (.9 Bar) and goes into crazy town. As it is, I'll have a chance to make changes. The perfectionist in me is unhappy because the background is too black - needs to be about 10% grey on matte finish photo paper. It's noticeable once the gauges are mounted as you can see in the attached photo. Still, looks much better than the old Autometers, don't you think?
newgauges_small.jpg
newgauges_small.jpg (100.73 KiB) Viewed 13460 times

oldgauges.JPG
oldgauges.JPG (82.68 KiB) Viewed 13460 times
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Wed 27.04.2011, 07:33

Still looks good but I see what you mean. A little more grey would be nice. If you could, changing back to the original bezel would really ace the little detail look. If you can, print the dial on velum or a thick figuring gel ears in stage lighting. That would be the cats meow.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby tigerdog » Wed 27.04.2011, 07:47

:agree: Great minds think alike, Marie. Once I get a few minutes to breathe, I'll put the original boost gauge and transducer up for trade to someone with one or two dead gauges so I can steal the bezel. That's when I'll also redo the background. I've also got a lovely set of Autometer gauges up for grabs. Ebay time!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby HJ2 » Wed 27.04.2011, 11:49

Take care that you print with a printer with colours that don't fade / discoulour over time, or you'll end up printing a new dial every couple of sunny months.
Best find a printshop that can do this for you, also better print on plastic sheet in stead of paper, so moisture wil l not be a problem.
In the end (silk) screen printing would be the ultimate solution. If you print all dials, you will end up with no deviating coulours!

Oh well... i get carried away sometimed :bonk:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby bobbrown » Wed 27.04.2011, 12:51

or you could get this lot monkeyto make one up or get them all done to a colour scheme of your choice.
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby tigerdog » Wed 27.04.2011, 15:57

HJ2 wrote:Take care that you print with a printer with colours that don't fade / discoulour over time, or you'll end up printing a new dial every couple of sunny months.
Best find a printshop that can do this for you, also better print on plastic sheet in stead of paper, so moisture wil l not be a problem.

Good idea - I'll leave it in the sun and then the color will match. Moisture is not a problem since I live in Southern California. :-D
tigerdog
God

Note on refitting the gauges

Postby tigerdog » Sat 03.09.2011, 07:52

I had quite a time figuring out the VDO secret code when I put the gauges back in. The "+", "G" and "upside-down T" are not self explanatory (at least to me). Short answer: "+" is green +12V on all 3 gauges, "upside-down T" is black (ground) on all gauges. Sender wire goes to "G" on boost and oil pressure gauges. I'm putting this note here to remind myself that I put this information in the wiki where it belongs. I spent 20 minutes trying to find it tonight using the forum search. Now it's in both places.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread.
tigerdog
God

New Tyres

Postby tigerdog » Tue 08.11.2011, 23:53

Smaug will be getting a new set of extra-gummy Kumho XS (SU36) tyres on Friday, size 215/45-16. I'll post before-and-after pix comparing the larger section tyres to the current P-Zero Nero 205/45s. I've also booked an alignment session with the folks who do my daily drivers. He received his annual oil change last night and will get new coolant and Redline MT-90 in the transmission between now and Friday morning. I also need to find out why he won't boost past 9PSI (suspect the blow-off/bypass valve needs adjusting. Hoping it's not another rattly cat.) All this in preparation for a roadtrip to Palm Springs next week.
tigerdog
God

Tyre Size Comparison

Postby tigerdog » Sat 12.11.2011, 00:30

As promised, here are photos of 205/45-16 and 215/45-16 on stock Fed wheels. Sorry for the blurry "before" front shot.
Front 205Image
Front 215Image
Rear 205Image
Rear 215Image
tigerdog
God

Alignment Before and After

Postby tigerdog » Sat 12.11.2011, 01:16

I may be the only person who cares, but I'm posting the "before and after" from Smaug's date with the alignment rack. I have a few niggles but everything is adjusted as closely as the tech could manage without the proper shim for the front. Any ideas why the front caster and rear camber can't be adjusted to spec would be welcome.
Attachments
SmaugAlignment-1.jpg
tigerdog
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 12.11.2011, 09:24

Both issues are a result of the tech not knowing the car. 99% of them don't know they can both be adjusted. The front has shims at the bolts that run through the upper ball joint. Moving the shims from one side of the joint to the other will affect caster.

The rear upper top links have cams on them for rear camber unless you have the later S2 upper links by bugatti. Those have a long threaded rod.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 12.11.2011, 15:24

If there isn't any indication of chassis tweak due to heavy driving and possible alteration by pot-holes, etc., I would first find a different alignment shop.

Since your camber has gone positive, I would first suspect the upper wishbone bushes.

Is it possible they installed the camber shim(s) backwards? They can be installed to push the top out as easily as the top in.

Getting a cam type adjustment setup to be accurate is difficult when both sides are adjustable as mis-matching the two sides will cause a shift in caster and toe.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby bobbrown » Sat 12.11.2011, 16:38

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:
Since your camber has gone positive, I would first suspect the upper wishbone bushes.

:? looks negative to me

Looking at the figures they did not make any adjustments other than toe, which may have been due to the fact the bolts in the upper ball joint seize in place. The only way in some cases to get them free is to drill them out and replace the bolts.

Right front castor is within tolerance, left front castor change 1 shim which should give you a reading of +1.2 degrees which is within tolerance,
Left front camber is within tolerance, right front needs a tweak and I assume Fed cars have plates rather than cams, if so you need to work out which ones are fitted and which ones you need.

I assume this was all done at mid laden height with 75kg in the drivers seat and 1/2 tank of fuel.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
bobbrown
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 12.11.2011, 16:55

bobbrown wrote:
Brit-Car-Nut wrote:

:? looks negative to me

Looking at the figures they did not make any adjustments other than toe, which may have been due to the fact the bolts in the upper ball joint seize in place. The only way in some cases to get them free is to drill them out and replace the bolts.

Right front castor is within tolerance, left front castor change 1 shim which should give you a reading of +1.2 degrees which is within tolerance,
Left front camber is within tolerance, right front needs a tweak and I assume Fed cars have plates rather than cams, if so you need to work out which ones are fitted and which ones you need.

I assume this was all done at mid laden height with 75kg in the drivers seat and 1/2 tank of fuel.

Bob

Agreed. I looked at the middle block (DUH!) Still could be the upper bushes as they are smallest and will fatigue faster.

Bob: Is there a conversion somewhere that says "x" mm = "y" Degrees?
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby bobbrown » Sat 12.11.2011, 17:15

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Bob: Is there a conversion somewhere that says "x" mm = "y" Degrees?

The manual gives the figures for the shims but if you are talking toe it can be calculated or the attached should work

Bob
Attachments
toe conversion.zip
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Pacific Blue N/A
bobbrown
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 12.11.2011, 17:22

Thanks. I stopped browsing on page 4 which gave the desired alignment dimensions. I will read the whole chapter before I start putting the new front end together.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tigerdog » Sat 12.11.2011, 17:41

Thanks for the advice. To Marie's point, I believe the shop does know the car well enough to do the job. I provided service manual chapters but was stunned when their computerized alignment system had all the diagrams, specs and procedures in its database. The tech showed me the shims and what was needed. Smaug was slumming at this shop, they'd had a Maserati and two Bentleys already this week. They also do all the chassis/alignment work for the local Ferrari/Bugatti/Maser dealer.
Bob is correct; they only adjusted toe on the front due to lack of shims. I suspected shims had been substituted for the eccentric because the extra stresses of FWD make eccentrics too prone to slipping adjustment.

The tech mentioned Left Front Caster could not be adjusted further because shims were already shuffled to the full extent of possible travel. Should I re-visit this with the tech? Anyone got a spare shim?
tigerdog
God

Postby bobbrown » Sun 13.11.2011, 17:15

Did think about the camber adjustment plates in the past as they do seem a bit expensive at around £4.00 each and there is 4/car
I could, if there was enough interest get a full set of 16, that's enough to meet any adjustment needed for £12.00 + delivery, postage should not be much as they are small.
A100C0125F.jpg
A100C0125F.jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 13225 times

Get the plates Laser cut and then drill the holes in different places so you end up with 10.5, 9.5, 8.5, 7 mm plates, drilling the hole accurately is not a problem.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
bobbrown
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 13.11.2011, 20:26

I smell a group buy!!! I'd be in.
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)