Smaug: Return of The Green Monster

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Smaug: Return of The Green Monster

Postby tigerdog » Sun 13.11.2011, 22:50

bobbrown wrote: £12.00 + delivery, postage should not be much as they are small.
A100C0125F.jpg

Get the plates Laser cut and then drill the holes in different places so you end up with 10.5, 9.5, 8.5, 7 mm plates, drilling the hole accurately is not a problem.

At that price, please count me in!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby DeanG » Tue 15.11.2011, 02:28

Yum. I would go for a set too. The M100 is all about the suspension so it is good to get it right.
DeanG
God

Postby tigerdog » Tue 15.11.2011, 03:14

bobbrown wrote:Did think about the camber adjustment plates in the past as they do seem a bit expensive at around £4.00 each and there is 4/car
I could, if there was enough interest get a full set of 16, that's enough to meet any adjustment needed for £12.00 + delivery, postage should not be much as they are small.
A100C0125F.jpg

Get the plates Laser cut and then drill the holes in different places so you end up with 10.5, 9.5, 8.5, 7 mm plates, drilling the hole accurately is not a problem.

Bob

If you're serious and not in danger of overextending yourself, we should move this to the group buy area. If it's going to be a long time to fruition, though, let me know as I have another (albeit more dear) alternative. Thanks, Bob!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby bobbrown » Tue 15.11.2011, 10:23

Here you go viewtopic.php?f=85&t=19974

once I get to 10 sets I'll order the laser cut parts and get drilling holes.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Update on Kumho Ecsta XS KU36

Postby tigerdog » Sun 27.11.2011, 16:26

If you live somewhere dry, buy these tyres! I am incredibly happy with their performance. Of course they are sticky - says so on the tin - but they also ride appreciably better than the Pirellis they replaced. I have not tracked the car but have managed some spirited back road runs and a few hard stops. So far, the strength of their grip far exceeds the depth of my courage. No push, no drama, no squeal, just "corner? OK sir, no problem!" Can't speak to wet performance, though even if they lose 20% of their grip they'll still be plenty strong for me.
tigerdog
God

Postby cliff » Mon 28.11.2011, 23:14

Fitted the Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 a few thousand miles ago, not sure how different they are to the KU 36 but very happy with them. As you say ride better & much quieter than Pirellis.

Replaced Pirellis with Kumhos on the Jeep 2 years ago & they transformed the car. Replaced Pirellis with Michelin on the GTV's as well, starting to realise I don't really like Pirellis.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
03 MG TF 135 Sprint (Partner's)
15 Renault Megane Coupe

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Base Timing today

Postby tigerdog » Mon 23.04.2012, 01:56

Finally got around to installing the new o-ring on Smaug's CAS today. Marked the position, pulled the CAS, removed the cover, cleaned minor surface rust off the disk (no abrasives, just a little brasso wadding followed by a thorough polish). Pin and springs are intact and clean. A little more clean and polish on the CAS body, a bit of plastic polish on the cover, then reinstalled. Reseating the CAS seems to have removed the tiny play in the disk that was there when I removed it.

Paper clip, base timing double-checked @ 16 BTDC. A nice little project for the afternoon.
2012-04-22_18-37-25_487.jpg

And yes, Specky, I did polish the retaining bolt and washers. :-D
tigerdog
God

Postby tigerdog » Sun 03.02.2013, 06:09

I guess I've been otherwise occupied of late, as Smaug has had virtually zero exercise since autumn. Finally got round to his annual oil change today and discovered the last fuel fill-up was in July. :shock: Battery was flat but a bit of charge, a twist of the key and he started right up! Tomorrow, fresh fuel and a drive in the sun. Maybe this year will be the one in which I take care of the projects that have been building.
tigerdog
God

Postby steve matthews » Sun 03.02.2013, 17:13

:-D
I like the shinny blue knob under the CAS.
Snow today in VA. can only dream of SUN 8)
Steve -w- car on blocks for winter work.
steve matthews
God

After a long time, a short update

Postby tigerdog » Sat 18.03.2017, 16:42

Smaug has been mostly snoozing for the last few years due to an aging timing belt. My dear wife finally got tired of my ignoring him and insisted I get him happy; it was my Christmas gift from her. So now, he's in a local shop getting several long-overdue items fixed:
    - a new sump (thank you, Nitroman, wherever you are!) to replace the dented one that's been there since day one.
    - a new timing belt, tensioner and water pump
    - a new steering rack to replace the one that's been drooling on the floor for the last 6 years. (thank you Specky, for arranging acquisition and transport)
    - a respray of the front bumper so I won't have to keep photoshopping that ugly patch that was there when I bought him
I can't wait to drive him again, without fear of lunching the engine!
tigerdog
God

Postby clemo » Sun 19.03.2017, 13:11

looking forward to some photos ..
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby tigerdog » Sun 19.03.2017, 21:39

clemo wrote:looking forward to some photos ..

So am I! This is the longest Smaug has been out of my possession since I got him almost 10 years ago.
tigerdog
God

Postby tigerdog » Wed 12.07.2017, 01:43

Here are a few photos I snapped a few days after the work was done:
IMG_20170409_183600647.jpg

IMG_20170409_183545076.jpg

IMG_20170409_183546825_TOP.jpg

IMG_20170409_183534865.jpg
tigerdog
God

Another cracked header tank

Postby tigerdog » Mon 27.05.2019, 23:12

Smaug cracked his header tank last week - second one in 10K mi. Rotten batch from Dave Bean, I think. With kudos to John Callahan for quickly shipping a (much better looking) replacement, he's back on the road but not happy. Is it too late to recommend flogging for whoever thought placing the ignition coils under the coolant bottle was a good idea? I pulled the HT leads, wiped everything with alcohol, cleaned coil terminals and reassembled, but still have intermittent miss. Should I strip everything down to the coil baseplate, clean and reassemble or is it a lost cause, and time to replace the lot?

Experiences and opinions welcome.
tigerdog
God

Postby tigerdog » Sat 01.06.2019, 23:44

Replying to my own post: further examination shows one of the high voltage terminal posts on the MSD coils has cracked, likely as a result of arcing when wet. No way that's getting patched up. Replacements shall arrive tomorrow, then full reassembly.

Here's a helpful tip for those who have Kingsborne ignition leads. The right-angle boot on the coil end is too large in diameter to seal tightly, and/or too short to reach all the way down the post where the post is fatter. On MSD 8224 coils, there's a gap of about 1mm. When I reinstall, there'll be a judicious amount of silicone dielectric grease on both the posts and the boots, to hopefully fill the gap and prevent the problem.
tigerdog
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)