Intermittent wiper delay

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Intermittent wiper delay

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 10.07.2009, 19:03

TOSSPOT!!

Don't fret - this one's quite cheap and BIN. :-D
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Elanlover » Fri 10.07.2009, 21:54

Geoff, I can't remember if this was asked before but, with this delay module, do you think it might be possible to transplant a wiper stalk from a Vauxhall that has a delay control on it and make it work from the stalk?
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby DaveB » Sun 12.07.2009, 13:06

Geoff...

I seem to suffer badly from the tosspots :roll: ....I shall have to be more careful 8)

...I take it this stalk would work but it does have the rear wiper function, I don't know about your S2, but this wasn't an option on the SE. :shock:

Elanlover...

...I am a bit confused, this mod Does work 'from the stalk'...and works well...(if your stalk isn't knackered!!)

David
Time taken to post a picture on this forum - down to 35 minutes...
DaveB
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Sun 12.07.2009, 14:27

I mean like this stalk that has the variable intermittant control right on the stalk.
Elanlover

Postby DaveB » Sun 12.07.2009, 20:31

Ah...wiv yer.

I guess that you would have to wire in the corresponding relay/module, as I doubt it would be plug 'n' play...but that would be a guess.

Geoff? :poke:
DaveB
Fanatic

Postby lotos » Mon 13.07.2009, 20:09

DaveB wrote:everything will work on this car at the same time[/size]

I thought the Elan was a British car?
lotos
God

Postby DaveB » Mon 13.07.2009, 21:13

:-D
DaveB
Fanatic

Postby DaveB » Thu 16.07.2009, 13:15

OK

Thanks for the help...

I ordered a new wiper switch, part number 90243394 from Vauxhall...exact match, about 20 quid...

...or £15.53 if you're friendly wiv your local dealership. :-D

I also fixed my old one...(the mechanism grease had spead over the terminals), so if any one gets stuck and wants one gratis, let me know.

PS. No steering wheel removal needed...drop the lower cowling, move the wheel to it's lowest position and there is plenty of room...even for people with sausages for fingers!
took me fifteen minutes...so five minutes for everybody else.

Thanks to Geoff for pointing me in the right direction....and I like the latest Avatar.. :roll:
DaveB
Fanatic

Postby Ian T » Sat 06.12.2014, 12:15

Amusing to read this, as I used to fit these to my 80s and 90s Vauxhalls. With a bit of effort they can also be used in Vectras and Omegas by bypassing the multi timer.

Anyway, if anyone still needs / wants one of these, I think I may have a few spares from when I used to sell them to the Vauxhall crowd a few years ago.

Should've guessed they would work on the Lotus though, as most of my customers were VX220 owners ;)

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Sat 06.12.2014, 17:38

Ian T wrote:Amusing to read this, as I used to fit these to my 80s and 90s Vauxhalls. With a bit of effort they can also be used in Vectras and Omegas by bypassing the multi timer.

Anyway, if anyone still needs / wants one of these, I think I may have a few spares from when I used to sell them to the Vauxhall crowd a few years ago.

Should've guessed they would work on the Lotus though, as most of my customers were VX220 owners ;)

Ian.

Are you saying you've fitted the module (allowing a form of " manual" intermittent wiper) or have fitted a stalk with the intermittent dial on it and made it work?
Elanlover

Postby Fredjohn » Sat 06.12.2014, 20:33

Don't know what system Ian T is referring to, but I just removed the wiper relay from under the dash, replaced it with a relay type 99. The variable intermittent works by turning it on, then off, wait till the screen is almost too wet/blocked, then turn back on again. Hey presto it will then come on automatically at that same time interval until you switch it off or move to single speed slow or fast. Works anywhere between c3-5secs and c45secs.

Cost me £3 from a breaker and was my first mod after buying the car. No need to change the stalk at all, just the relay.

Give this thread a read from the beginning: very helpful: I was won over instantly.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby Elanlover » Sat 06.12.2014, 20:46

Fredjohn wrote:Don't know what system Ian T is referring to, but I just removed the wiper relay from under the dash, replaced it with a relay type 99. The variable intermittent works by turning it on, then off, wait till the screen is almost too wet/blocked, then turn back on again. Hey presto it will then come on automatically at that same time interval until you switch it off or move to single speed slow or fast. Works anywhere between c3-5secs and c45secs.

Cost me £3 from a breaker and was my first mod after buying the car. No need to change the stalk at all, just the relay.

Give this thread a read from the beginning: very helpful: I was won over instantly.

A lot of us have this type of "manual" intermittent ability with the type 99 module. I had wondered aloud if it were possible to install the wiper stalk with the intermittent dial on it and make it work with the 99 module so you could simply turn the dial to set the intermittent timing. I suspect that a wire (or two) would need to be run to the extra pin on that module and perhaps other things too. When Ian said he'd fit these on Vauxhalls I didn't know if he meant just the module or perhaps the wiper stalk as well.

Over to Ian.............. :poke:
Elanlover

Postby Ian T » Sat 06.12.2014, 22:42

Well... It is possible to fit the Omega wiper stalk with the variable delay control, but you need the grey relay and you're right, an extra wire between the stalk and the relay.

A friend of mine wrote a how to guide that I think was applicable to the mk2 astra, so that would also work for the Elan...

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby lotos » Sun 07.12.2014, 02:28

Ha! Another Elan upgrade project I purchased years ago and have yet to install! Forgot about this one for sure :lol:
lotos
God

Postby Elanlover » Sun 07.12.2014, 04:24

Ian T wrote:Well... It is possible to fit the Omega wiper stalk with the variable delay control, but you need the grey relay and you're right, an extra wire between the stalk and the relay.

A friend of mine wrote a how to guide that I think was applicable to the mk2 astra, so that would also work for the Elan...

Ian.

And a copy of that guide might be found where????????????? :poke:

(You're making this painful :-D )
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Sun 07.12.2014, 09:22

lotos wrote:Ha! Another Elan upgrade project I purchased years ago and have yet to install! Forgot about this one for sure :lol:

ditto - it was still in the boot when i emptied it out whilst stripping the car down - must fit it one day....

...maybe at the same time i fit the cruise control (ie, as soon as I get the car back.....yeah, right...... probably in a few years time)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby epipete » Sun 07.12.2014, 11:26

How long has he had it, when was/is it due back?
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 07.12.2014, 18:58

epipete wrote:How long has he had it, when was/is it due back?

he's had it for 2 months, and i'll get it back when it's done! (not in any great hurry for it, and would rather he did it well in his own time, than rushed it just for it to sit on my drive!)

I spoke to him just before i came away and he hopes to get some bits back to me next week, so i'll have something to play with when i get home. That said, the seat heaters arrived just before i came out here, so i can play at rebuilding my S2000 seats anyway to give me something to do whilst I'm waiting.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby epipete » Sun 07.12.2014, 19:27

dapinky wrote:
epipete wrote:How long has he had it, when was/is it due back?

he's had it for 2 months, and i'll get it back when it's done! (not in any great hurry for it, and would rather he did it well in his own time, than rushed it just for it to sit on my drive!).

Very wise, especially given the current weather (least wise here in Chippenham - fog, rain & cold!!!)
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby RayD » Sun 07.12.2014, 22:34

Did you get my email Dave? ... and where are you out of interest?

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)