Fascia Panel Project

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Fascia Panel Project

Postby Don.Hasi » Thu 18.09.2008, 12:53

Is it an item especially for the m100 or was it for another model / for any model? I asked regarding the white letters... the m100 has have normally red ones, hasn´t it? Do you have the special itemnumber ?
ImageImageImage
Don.Hasi
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Thu 18.09.2008, 13:15

Its the Elan clock that's normally found on the non-turbo version (in place of the boost gauge). The dial faces were replaced (along with all my dial faces) by ones from Metal Monkey. Thus the colour change.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 18.09.2008, 13:16

Elanlover wrote:
Don.Hasi wrote:Looks indeed great :) Where have you got your clock from? Mine is totally scratched from the owner before :(

Kind regards

Lotus aftersales parts list. Don't know if they still have more.

Don,

They're N/A clocks and there were 13 left after Blair bought his. The part number is A100M0036F and they were red before Blair modified his. Neil Lovelock offered them to us for £20 if we bought them all or £25 for a single one.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Jackonicko » Thu 18.09.2008, 23:26

How about a group buy, Geoff?

1-13. Jacko!
Jackonicko

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 18.09.2008, 23:32

Jackonicko wrote:How about a group buy, Geoff?

1-13. Jacko!

Yours for £260 Jon. :twisted:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Doug » Fri 19.09.2008, 01:30

Blair, I hope you bought a back-up for all the parts you put into that panel so if they fail you can swap them out and not have to stress so much.
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Elanlover » Fri 19.09.2008, 03:07

I think I'm good there. The only thing I don't have is a backup clock. But, I don't have bqack ups for each of the other gauges so i can't see me being in too much trouble there. I have spares for the vents and various switches. Let's hope I'll never need them!
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sat 11.10.2008, 15:32

One more little piece of customization :-D
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (35.78 KiB) Viewed 7283 times
Elanlover

Postby tweetdriver63 » Sat 11.10.2008, 16:18

Nice touch.

:cheers:
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby tigerdog » Sun 12.10.2008, 18:06

Elanlover wrote:One more little piece of customization :-D

Sweet.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby lotos » Tue 14.10.2008, 14:39

I'm totally late to this party but WOW. The Elan has only three things I think could use updating and you have IMHO completely resolved one. (The others are the stock wheels and the brake lights, both of which I've seen others have resolved quite nicely!)

Your dash looks GREAT!
lotos
God

Postby jackdaniel » Fri 20.11.2009, 04:38

Elanlover (Blair?)

I am still amazed at the brilliant job you did on your dash. :beer:

I'm planning on doing a similar project to yours, and I would like to know if you came across any particular obsticles that might crop up, and what paint did you use?.

Mine will be an RHD version (excuse me for stealing your pic and flipping it, but I will post soon), I'll be adding more gauges, using Audi TT vents and switches, and not using an ICE head unit - planning on wiring an iPhone/iPod connection directly into an amp. The headlight switch will probably be VW Golf3. The gauges will be (R-L/T-B) Fuel pressure - oil temp - oil pressure - boost
Voltage - Lambda - TPMS

I also wont be doing a chip switcher, as it will only be a short term fit living velcroed to the drivers side footwell, until I get my full Motec system installed (couple of years, maybe), then there will be a simple 3 way switch - valet, normal road and hyperspace.

I'm getting a spare facia from a UK wrecker to use as my starting basis, using Corsa C (Barina in Oz) instrument and warning lights - giving me an electronic odometer and speedo (thanks to Marie's hint on the sender unit), fitted with TachoDesign white dial covers using the 6 o'clock needle position - goes to 300kph as well :-D

I'll do a whole write up as I go along as well
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
jackdaniel
Tinkerer

Postby Elanlover » Fri 20.11.2009, 14:01

The biggest issues were:

1) maintaining the relative position of the temp control dial as it operates a rod so it needs to remain in essentially the same position as stock
2) getting new vents to fit which took some cutting and shaping of the existing ductwork
3) fitting the head unit which required moving the airbag module behind the dash
4) electrical wiring issues related to using new switches (like the hazard switch) and getting them to operate with the stock wiring
5) reshaping the Fed knee bolster to accomodate the V5 switcher, fog switches and releases for the trunk and gas flap (not shown in these pics)

The rest was just cutting and fitting really. I used a truck bed liner paint to give it a durable, "crinkle" look. Hoiwever, I am planning on a few final (hopefully) changes this winter and will probably chnage the pain to a plastidip rubber paint which has more of a matte finish.
Elanlover

Postby jackdaniel » Sat 21.11.2009, 01:40

Thanks mate:
1) maintaining the relative position of the temp control dial as it operates a rod so it needs to remain in essentially the same position as stock - wont be an issue, as I'm replacing the actuator with a stepper motor on the valve. Means a solid custom bracket so the motor/valve doesnt move, but not too difficult.

2) getting new vents to fit which took some cutting and shaping of the existing ductwork - yeah, thats what I expected.

3) fitting the head unit which required moving the airbag module behind the dash - N/A: I'm not using a head unit, and I dont ave an airbag.

4) electrical wiring issues related to using new switches (like the hazard switch) and getting them to operate with the stock wiring - Arrrggghhh (said with a pirate eye patch and a parrot on my shoulder), I be an Electronics Engineer that spent 15 years on a submarine - wiring is NOT a problem. I actually have a clever little circuit that will allow a momentary push button to operate a relay in a flip/flop mode (1 push on / 1 push off) for those pesky switches that usually connect to a body control computer.

5) reshaping the Fed knee bolster to accomodate the V5 switcher, fog switches and releases for the trunk and gas flap (not shown in these pics) - I'm thinking of putting the headlight switch where your switcher is, and a couple of TT switches on the other side for boot/fuel cap release. They should all fit without 'reshaping'.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
jackdaniel
Tinkerer

Postby Elanlover » Sat 21.11.2009, 02:44

Start a new project thread when you get started so we can all watch. :-D I'd be interested in seeing/understanding what you're doing with the stepper motor in place of the rod. :poke:
Elanlover

Postby DeeAitch » Sat 21.11.2009, 17:16

From what I understand of the heater system the temp control operates the air blend control flaps as well as the water valve. Maybe someone with a spare HVAC unit can confirm?
DeeAitch
God

Postby jackdaniel » Sun 22.11.2009, 02:30

Elanlover wrote:Start a new project thread when you get started so we can all watch. :-D I'd be interested in seeing/understanding what you're doing with the stepper motor in place of the rod. :poke:

Sorry, should have said servo instead of stepper motor.

Simple COTS contoller kit
k102_250.jpg
k102_250.jpg (9.93 KiB) Viewed 6935 times

COTS RC moddeling servo
S777_jumbo.jpg
S777_jumbo.jpg (13.81 KiB) Viewed 6935 times

Potentiometer

This kit will allow control of 4 COTS RC moddeling servos, so if the blending needs a controller (I dont think so - only 1 control shaft) it ca be done as well.

The kit is simple easy cheap and available assembled for those soldering challenged individals. I could make a custom circuit, but why when one exists.
jackdaniel
Tinkerer

Postby DeeAitch » Thu 26.11.2009, 20:14

jackdaniel wrote:if the blending needs a controller (I dont think so - only 1 control shaft) it ca be done as well.

The kit is simple easy cheap and available assembled for those soldering challenged individals. I could make a custom circuit, but why when one exists.

The temp control operates on the air blend flaps, not directly on the water valve which is either open or closed and operated by a vacuum switch from one of the air blend flaps.
So your actuator will need mounting to the HVAC (and will also need to be 'proportional' ), not the water valve which could remain as is, unless you plan to have individual servo's operating both valve and flaps?

Makes me wonder if the water valve is really needed in this weather :evil:

Interested to see more of the servo controller & how it works - any links? Looks like the one shown needs a 5v supply?
DeeAitch
God

Postby jackdaniel » Sat 28.11.2009, 00:16

The temp control operates on the air blend flaps, not directly on the water valve which is either open or closed and operated by a vacuum switch from one of the air blend flaps.
So your actuator will need mounting to the HVAC (and will also need to be 'proportional' ), not the water valve which could remain as is, unless you plan to have individual servo's operating both valve and flaps??

Pretty much whay I expected. I havent 100% dcided yet, but I might be doing away with the the air blend flaps. The servo will operate on the water valve ( probably something aftermarket )

Makes me wonder if the water valve is really needed in this weather :evil:

Heater in Perth??????, not often used. Air blend flaps - plenty of 'blend' air when the hood is down. When the water valve is proportinal, i can control the level of heat. I was a bit concerned about A/C and limited airflow causing evaporator icing, but Junks has told me its not fitted.

Interested to see more of the servo controller & how it works - any links? Looks like the one shown needs a 5v supply?

There are many servo controller sites - look under remote control hobbies (aircraft / boats). Lower than 12v (V=I x R) isnt a problem, its when you need more that you have to be creative.

When I get into it, all will be revealed :banana:
jackdaniel
Tinkerer

Postby Blue_Bullet » Tue 01.12.2009, 21:13

Just was thinking if you re-design this for the UK it would be sensible to make a pull down sliding door or something to cover or a way to remove that Sat Nav !

Or some one might use a universal key on your window then screw driver out your sat nav ruining your lovely dash and you will be left with dust, wires hanging out and lost trying to find your way home crying!

Just a thought!!!

I do love the dash and brake light though, its a superlative job!

Was thinking myself of just finding a sat nav the right size just to plonk in ash try opening and banning smokers!

Anybody in the UK doing the Spoiler Brake light MOD?
The answer is out there, It’s looking for you. And it will find you if you want it to!
Blue_Bullet
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)