Saab/Vectra Front Brake Upgrade

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Saab/Vectra Front Brake Upgrade

Postby basher » Tue 27.08.2013, 19:02

Does anyone have this upgrade kit available to sell?
Otherwise, can anyone recommend a good engineer/fabricator who could knock these parts up?

Thanks in advance.
basher
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Sun 24.07.2016, 11:49

Reviving this a little - it has been said that Vectra V6 calipers do the job also, does anybody have part numbers ? Would prefer the GM parts as my father still gets trade discount at the Vauxhall dealer he used to work for !! :)
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby simonbuk » Mon 25.07.2016, 11:15

Is Bob Brown no longer with us ? Doesn't seem to have posted for a few years ?

This seems to be a great brake upgrade for a very reasonable price.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 25.07.2016, 12:03

I'm fairly sure that if you manage to speak to him, he'd happily take your money for whatever upgrade you wanted......

...... but you'd be unlikely to ever receive the goods.

(and before I get accused of being unreasonable/slanderous in my statement by anyone who doesn't know the story, I have the CCJ in my favour to prove my point)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby simonbuk » Tue 26.07.2016, 18:19

Ok cheers - understand. Looks like its the more expensive options then !!

simonbuk
God

Postby rip » Wed 27.07.2016, 09:31

simonbuk wrote:Looks like its the more expensive options then !!

Not necessarily. You need the correct Vectra calipers & Subaru discs then shims & sleeves machined to space them correctly. I am not sure how much this will cost.
I believe Basher may have the correct part numbers & dimensions.

You will need 16" wheels. There is not enough clearance under the SE 15" ones.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby basher » Thu 28.07.2016, 22:41

I used the plans further back in the thread and got the parts fabricated at a local engineers.
Rip was kind enough to let me have a look at his to get the correct caliper but is basically from a Vectra v6, the issue I had was around the carrier assembly, I can't remember the details but if you are interested I can get underneath and reaqquaint myself- it hasn't been on the jack in hours!

Regarding the discs there were various different options so you need to be careful with the choice but I believe I kept the box or made a note to ensure I got it right in future.I will look for you.
basher
Fanatic

Postby basher » Fri 29.07.2016, 21:15

I used Subaru part no. S106017 brake Discs. New bolt holes have to be drilled though.
basher
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Mon 22.08.2016, 19:23

Thanks for coming back on this, i'm still interested so i'll go back and see if I can find the plans.

I think the reason I originally asked about the calipers was thought I saw more that one caliper listed but can't quite remember now.

simonbuk
God

Postby simonbuk » Sat 10.09.2016, 11:07

Can anybody help on this ?

I'd really like the VX part numbers so I can investigate further. The are various calipers listed for Vectra and over many years so can't just plumb fir one and hope for the best.

Thought I had a part number but it was just the casting number off the caliper.

TIA

simonbuk
God

Postby DavidEJM » Tue 13.09.2016, 13:19

I just bought calipers for a V6 Vectra. I bought second hand so maybe i was just lucky that they fitted, but it went together the way it was supposed to and work really well.
Oooooh shiney!
DavidEJM
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 13.09.2016, 16:40

I've bought a HiSpec setup which appears to use Subaru discs at the front. Those are 295mm Diameter, 24mm thick, 57mm high with 58mm bore (fits Elan without modification though OE discs had 60mm bore).
I've tracked them down as Impreza 2.0 Turbo year 2000 / 2001 and found MTEC do a drilled & grooved pair for £67. www.mtecbrakes.com/mtec964.html
They will drill the extra 4x100 stud holes for Elan as well for £25. www.mtecbrakes.com/pcd-change/pcd-change-on-1-pair-of-discs-to-4-x-100mm.html

I've had MTEC on my Subaru Forester for some time, saved a packet and found them excellent.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 13.09.2016, 17:31

For those in the US, Subaru apparently didn't bring the Impreza 2.0L Turbo to the US until 2002. They have the same discs listed as those for the Legacy and Rock Auto offers slotted/drilled versions in the $35.00 each range.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)