My first Elan

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: My first Elan

Postby dapinky » Mon 09.12.2013, 23:03

If nothing else, I'd take the bolts out and put some copperslip on the shanks (not threads) - it'd be a shame to have to butcher the wishbones in the future if the bushes need changing.....

.....but as Doug says, another coat of paint can't do any harm - and maybe cavity wax inside them.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby JonJon » Wed 11.12.2013, 19:55

dapinky wrote:If nothing else, I'd take the bolts out and put some copperslip on the shanks (not threads) - it'd be a shame to have to butcher the wishbones in the future if the bushes need changing.....

.....but as Doug says, another coat of paint can't do any harm - and maybe cavity wax inside them.

I've pulled the nearside wishbone of, no dramas' all the bolts came out easily, given it a good clean ready for painting. I don't see how I could use wax oil on it, there are no holes in the bones and I would think it unwise to start drilling into them!
I would post a photo of it but it won't upload :?
JonJon
Tinkerer

Postby JonJon » Tue 27.05.2014, 17:15

Hi All,

A quick update on the progress I've made on the Elan.

Project "Little Yella" passed its MOT last Saturday, which as a spot of luck as I'd booked it in for the Supercar Siege at Leeds Castle that weekend (18th May). I had it booked in for its test on the Wednesday but the brake master cylinder failed on the way down Bluebell Hill, I had Lipscomb fit a new on as the car was unsafe to drive, this is the only work I have had to farm out. Friday afternoon I took a call telling me the master cylinder was fitted, the peddle was good but the brakes were still poor, I got the car home striped the front caliper and found I'd over shimmed the front right caliper bracket, once re-fitted the brakes were spot on. Saturday morning saw me up and on the phone trying to book a last minute MOT. I managed to book a test at 11.35 so quite literally the 11th hr. The tester was very complementary and seemed to enjoy going over the car. Michelle has put about 160 miles on the clock now and is absolutely over the moon in love with, (don't laugh please), her "Little Buttercup" :smt102 . Driving to Crystal Palace this weekend with the roof down, I was in the Esprit, Michelle looked to be slowing down, I called her on the 2 way to make sure all was ok, "my hat keeps trying to blow away and I'm freezing my T*TS off but I'll survive" came the reply. When we arrived at the Palace she had the biggest grin you've ever seen, said "god I love my car" but can you please get the heater working (new valve ordered today - update for the wiki they are now £24.00 plus postage).
I still have a few jobs to do, like trying to reduce the amount of water entering the cabin, there is a small amount of bodywork to attend to but that can wait until the winter. For now we are going to enjoy driving our cars! :burnout:

I'd like to thank everyone for the help and advice given :cheers:

I hope to see some of you at this years Lotus Festival, although I'll be on the North Kent Lotus Stand with the Elan and Esprit.

B4 Bath.JPG

Elan at the Supercar Siege.jpg

Elans first outing.jpg

Elan at the Castle.jpg

Esprit and Elan at Leeds Castle.jpg

Elan wheel by Suzy.jpg

Cheers Jon.
JonJon
Tinkerer

Postby TrevorB » Tue 27.05.2014, 20:18

Looking good Jon, a great job done. Good to hear that Michelle enjoyed the experience. Looking forward now to meeting up and
parking 'Merlot' alongside. I think they will look good together :-D

Well done

Trevor
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)