Slow progress...

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Various bits and bobs (not brown)

Postby nicowalker1 » Mon 09.06.2014, 17:09

Enright wrote:Nick, I've got a spare Saab dump valve which is the OEM recirc type and could easily be plumbed into the dustbin.
Yours for a tenner + P&P - I've tried one on my new car and it seems to work pretty well (if only you can find the right pipe sizes to stop it blowing off)! :shock:

Sounds good Neil, thank you! The bailey is now removed.
nicowalker1
God

Postby nicowalker1 » Tue 24.06.2014, 21:33

Nice new A pillar seals arrived today along with other much needed bits. I had a bit of spare time so made a start on the drivers seal.
Im just trying to work out exactly how the seal carrier is meant to sit as it has been botched by the previous owner, I think the windscreen has been replaced at some point. A few terrible pics (i'll take better ones on completion)

nicowalker1
God

Postby nicowalker1 » Mon 05.01.2015, 19:55

Thought id give my elan a start today. id lost a bit of coolant and the battery was flatter than something that is extremly flat...

Coolant topped and battery charged, the car fired on the first turn :-D

2015 targets (plenty more work left after this list but trying to keep it realistic)
Nip up leaky coolant hose
Repair and refit radiator skid plate
Repair front bumper fixings behind wheel arch
Replace both wheel arch linings
Finish fitting a pillar seals
Refurbish the S2 wheels
New rubber for the above

Most of the above are inexpensive and I aim to get done soonish, weather dependant ready for insuring, taxing and MOT

:burnout:
nicowalker1
God

Postby rip » Mon 05.01.2015, 23:10

I think I've killed about 3 batteries by letting them go too flat over winter, so it sounds like yours may have gone the same way.
I have now fitted a solar panel to my garage & connect it to my remote battery terminals. After an extended period out of use, it recently turned over quite quickly.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby nicowalker1 » Mon 05.01.2015, 23:53

The battery is fine just needed a good charge. I have a solar panel which I aim to wire in a perminant way via a relay. Getting the car legal is the fist priority
nicowalker1
God

Postby nicowalker1 » Thu 19.02.2015, 12:49

Finally got round to fitting my new a pillar seal to the drivers side the other day.
First real test today, FAIL!
Really frustrated, plenty of sikaflex at the top corner and it still runs in. Is there a way to adjust/pull the header down tighter? Looks like I'll need a new cover asap. I wasn't expecting a complete seal but it pours in. :evil:

Edited to add apostrophes
Last edited by nicowalker1 on Tue 24.02.2015, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
nicowalker1
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 19.02.2015, 15:00

nicowalker1 wrote:... Is there a way to adjust/pull the header down tighter? .......

Yes!

....I could tell you how to do it, but if you simply put "header rail adjust" into the serch bocks (spellling?) then there are 10 posts addressing this matter (admittedly, mainly concerning the Kutching hard top, but the header rail adjusts in the same way.....

..oh, okay then, seeing as you have asked on your own thread, I'll try and help....

This thread is probably the most helpful - basically, the latches need to be fitted squarely, and slightly further away from the roof - either by the included 'adjustment' slots, or if that is insufficient, then by spacing it with a couple of washers.

this should get the hood to windscreen sorted, and then it is down to the adjustment of the side windows.

(I did mine slightly differently, 'cos thats the way I roll - the words "Cowboy" & "Bodger" spring to mind :D ) - i abtained a length of "P" section rubber (this sort of thing) and ran it along the channel above the winscreen (sorry, spulling again!) to give a better seal.

I can't remember what size I used (as the car still isn't here I can't check), but it wasn't huge - just enough to add to the seal - i suppose a standard strip of foammy stuff would do the same job, but it works for me.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby nicowalker1 » Tue 24.02.2015, 00:01

Thank you for the reply Dave. As soon as the rain stops I will have a look.
nicowalker1
God

Postby nicowalker1 » Fri 23.10.2015, 19:37

I thought I'd give a bit of an update on the little progress I have made. My aim is to get back on the road by March/April.

I have now got the lights working correctly.
The bumper is now fitted but I need to play with the adjustment.It is currently green so will be getting resprayed once the car is taxed and tested. The spoiler lip strip is now removed ready for new.

I am looking at grill mesh. What's your opinions on the following? Would you paint them black or leave silver?

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/ ... esh-a.html
http://r.ebay.com/C63qJg
http://r.ebay.com/PwRnnJ

I plan on replacing all disks and pads prior to the MOT
I am going to treat a few small rust spots on the chassis whilst the wheel arch liners are out.
nicowalker1
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 23.10.2015, 20:07

The Lockwood grille is nice, but quite dear for a small piece.....

.... the one from Poole doesn't state the actual mesh size....

.... as ever, it's a personal choice whether to have it dull, shiny or black.

I bought this one - the sheet is large enough to get all 4 pieces out of 1 sheet (3 front, 1 rear). It is satin black (which I wanted), and as it's aluminium, it is easy to work with and won't rust.

The holes are a bit smaller than the OE front grille, but bigger than the rear one (different sizes are availlable). (I wanted to keep stones out, but let enough air through).

It came from Poland in about 4 days, well packaged in corrugated cardboard - easy to cut with tin snips, and after bending each piece by hand, glued them in with Sikaflex (well, cheap PU adhesive, but you know what I mean).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Slow progress...

Postby nicowalker1 » Sun 20.03.2016, 20:52

I made the most of the fine weather today. I managed to swap over the rear top links. Replaced the old rusted up box type with the S2 tubular ones. On the box ones the handbrake cable was clipped on, where as the tubular ones have no mounting points. Should the handbrake cable be cable tied on?

I also removed the green bumper to prep it for spraying.

I was going to service the rear brakes but the sliders were still loose and the brakes appear to be gripping when the handbrake is engaged, if it ain't broke...

There is a very slight coolant leak since I replaced the hoses and radiator, left the car running for at least 30 mins, no sign of drips or steam. I've a feeling its going to be a pain to find

I'm in the process of having a garage built so the car can be kept completely dry and allow me to do some decent maintenance. The rear of the chassis could do with a good rub down and POR 15 treatment. That will have to wait though.
nicowalker1
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 20.03.2016, 20:59

Nick, my handbrake cables were attached with cable ties to the top link when i got the car, and so I've kept them like that - - but I don't know if they were like that on the S2 when they left the factory. (mine were replaced by a previous owner to the S2 types).
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 24.03.2016, 21:32

Mine were/are. Agricultural engineer's cable tie.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby nicowalker1 » Fri 25.03.2016, 22:09

Today I stripped the bumper ready for rubbing down for spraying. Wow sikaflex is tough stuff. Removing the old grills was a pain in the bum! I'm going to have a go at doing at myself... What could possibly go wrong other than having to start again?
My list of jobs is finally starting to diminish :burnout: :burnout:
nicowalker1
God

Postby John_W » Fri 25.03.2016, 22:59

GeoffSmith wrote:Mine were/are. Agricultural engineer's cable tie.

Does that mean baler twine or fence wire?
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby nicowalker1 » Thu 14.04.2016, 15:22

nicowalker1
God

Postby maz_r » Thu 14.04.2016, 15:57

I put those in the red car; seemed to work fine for me.

Not sure I noticed any marked improvement between the before and after driving experience mind.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby Artaban » Fri 15.04.2016, 10:18

I used these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-NGK-Ignit ... SwBahVTQH5
Very noticeable improvement but I don't know if it was down to these as I also replaced the ignition control module, HT leads (Magnecor) and spark plugs.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby rip » Fri 15.04.2016, 11:12

nicowalker1 wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSD-8224-2-Tower-Ignition-Engines/dp/B0006306XM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460643705&sr=8-1&keywords=msd+8224

Are these the right replacements?

Yes, the model number looks familiar.
I have looked at MSD Europe's web site before & they all their other coil packs look totally different.
You'll need a 5.5mm socket to fit them. Unusual size. You won't want to get halfway though & have an Elan which you can't drive. :twisted: :smt019
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby John_W » Fri 15.04.2016, 15:40

5.5 mm is also the size needed for all the set screws in the CAS, so it would be a worthwhile investment.
John_W
Heid-bummer

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)