Small Federal M100 Project

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Small Federal M100 Project

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Thu 26.06.2014, 05:49

Well my father and I are starting to work on my M100 more now. It has been my daily driver for a little over 2 years. Since we have got it we have done a few upgrades and fixed a few problems but now we are tackling the big stuff.

Upgrades so far:
New Wheels- Team dynamic pro race 1.2 16x7
New slotted and drilled rotors and pads
Everest Chip
Samco Coolant hoses
Dave's Rear Strut Bar
Piper Exhaust 2.25
Elise Steering wheel conversion

To do list:
Engine and suspension work - Almost all of it.
Get car Painted
New hood and seals- I have most of the seals just need to get the hood and fit it properly
New carpet and a few other interior pieces
New alternator and belts
New door weather seals

We are doing fiberglass work right now so the car can be painted. Their are a few cracks that we need to work on. The rear bumper is off and we just finished sanding that down. Working on the other cracks on the car. Our exhaust is not lined up correctly so we need someone to bend it and make it look better. We are also tackling some wiring issues and interior stuff. We just fixed the pad underneath the steering wheel and that took us almost all day and we fixed the glove box. The gloxbox was held in by zip ties and it is now fixed forever. This process will not be as fast as some other projects going on elsewhere. I'll try and keep you guys and girls up to date as well as I can. Pics will come tomorrow.
Last edited by LotusEnthusiast on Thu 06.04.2017, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Re: Small Federal M100 Project

Postby lotos » Thu 26.06.2014, 15:39

:clap: Awesome!

Post your location in your profile so we know where you are!

And some pics too!
lotos
God

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Mon 30.06.2014, 23:54

Here are some pictures.
Attachments
phpKffnmYPM.jpg
php9DgSsqPM.jpg
phpRXCFZqPM.jpg
phpy5Bl5MPM.jpg
phpUmcQTqPM.jpg
php8s3ferPM.jpg
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Mon 08.09.2014, 21:24

Rear bumper has been sanded and primed. Ready to be put back on the car and do a little more final touches to get it ready for paint. My dad has almost finished the right side of the car, just a little more fiberglass work. Next thing is make sure its all smooth then go to the right side where their isn't much damage. Hope to get it painted as soon as we can. Process is slow but at least their is progress.
Attachments
M100 fiberglass work.jpg
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Thu 06.04.2017, 19:59

The Project stalled for a long time and I do apologize. We decided to get the car running and driving perfectly before we painted it. I sold my mini cooper S to afford some of the engine and suspension work that needed to be done. Since I didn't have a lift it was going to be almost impossible to do these things so we took it to the shop. It should be out of the shop by the end of next week.
Here is the list of things that have been fixed that I can remember:
New alternator
All New Belts
All new Suspension bushings
Battery drain is gone
New Oil cooler pipes
New oil pan and filter
New speedo cable
New ball joints and links
New water pump
New Cv joints
New clamps on CV joints
Spark plug gap was off and had bad fuel in the car from sitting. That was all replaced and the car is revving above 4,000rpm now and running great.
No more oil leaks. All is fresh and clean underneath.
Their might be things I missed too.

Once it is out of the shop it is off to get it painted. I have also found every hood seal, so once its painted I'll get a top and have all new seals but it will probably still leak haha.
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Postby simonbuk » Fri 07.04.2017, 19:04

What's the Elise steering wheel conversion ?

I mean I understand that its probably fitting an Elise steering wheel but how tricky is the conversion ?

Is the Elise wheel any better ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 07.04.2017, 22:38

The Federal USA car uses a completely different steering column and steering wheel assembly (one solid assembly with a very large diameter rim) than the UK cars. I doubt you will gain any useful details if you delve much deeper. Basically, it was found that the Elise steering wheel hub is the same size and spline as the Fed car and it allows a chance to change to a modular steering wheel.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Elanlover » Fri 07.04.2017, 22:55

A custom hub by he who shall not be named was required. The Elise hub does not fit the Elan column. At least not on the Fed car. Can't speak for UK versions.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 07.04.2017, 22:58

Sorry, I thought HWSNBN just copied it and his was a bit cheaper. Anyway, the steering wheel on the FED car is huge and uncomfortable for most, so alternatives have been searched...
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby esprit888 » Fri 07.04.2017, 23:39

Elanlover wrote:A custom hub by he who shall not be named was required. The Elise hub does not fit the Elan column. At least not on the Fed car. Can't speak for UK versions.

Hmmm, i bought an Elise Nardi wheel from ebay UK and it was a direct fit (other than removing the Air bag clock spring and grinding down the auto cancel nub) on to my 91 Fed Elan ?? :?
IMGP3372.JPG

Side by side.jpg

IMGP3365.JPG
esprit888
God

Postby Elanlover » Sat 08.04.2017, 00:16

So no airbag and no horn? The BB hub was designed to use the Elise airbag steering wheel with the stock clock (no pun intended). Works well but I have to say that its almost a bit small for my liking. Better than the huge stock 18 wheeler job they used though.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Mon 10.04.2017, 01:24

I gave the Elise S1 steering wheel and the original federal steering wheel to LGM. She ended up cutting out the boss from the original steering wheel and welding it to the steel compression boss on the Elise S1 wheel.
This was by far the best thing that happened to my Elan. I'm 6'5" and with the original wheel, every time I tried to turn, my hand would hit my knee so it was tough to enjoy sometimes. With the Elise wheel I have no problem and it feels great! No airbag, but the horn works and I got the airbag light to go off with a diode.
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Postby esprit888 » Mon 10.04.2017, 01:47

Elanlover wrote:So no airbag and no horn? The BB hub was designed to use the Elise airbag steering wheel with the stock clock (no pun intended). Works well but I have to say that its almost a bit small for my liking. Better than the huge stock 18 wheeler job they used though.

No airbag but horn worked fine. I am confused though as i didn't need to cut anything, just grind off the indicator cancel nub. I seem to remember something about there being two types of Elise Euro steering wheels (or was that the M100 :lol: )
esprit888
God

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)