Car is bought now to start getting it right.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Car is bought now to start getting it right.

Postby Grampy » Fri 01.08.2014, 12:03

The car is pretty good as it goes but I have started making a list of work to be done.

1. Fix pass door the barrel is loose
2. Alarm sender is not working so inside lights on all the time.
3. B post cover requires a fix and new springs
4. Heater fan only works on two of the four settings
5 air con not working (but makes a noise when started)
6. Door seals
7. Quick shifter required throw is far to long.
8. Engine requires a detail
9. Wheels need a refurb
10. Upgrade front brakes (ok for now but if I am to hill climb it need brakes sorted)
11. Drive it and have fun

Will be hitting you guys with questions ideas I guess

Craig
Lotus Elan SE
lotus Elise S1
Golf R32
Audi A4 mile cruncher
Grampy
Enthusiast

Re: Car is bought now to start getting it right.

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 01.08.2014, 12:26

Good list to start with. As you do the various jobs other things WILL be added.......project creep.

Item 2. Check the main light switch: if you pull or push this the interior lights come on/off. This over-rides the 2 switches on the mirror and the door switches. This may be your problem.

Item 3 B post caps were a group buy recently, there may be some left, depending on whether you have the early or later type. Early had long springs going down, later type had spring as part of the hinge. Check under group buys / contact wayne. Or spend a fortune with Douglas Valley Breakers (aka stevestrange007 on ebay). SJSports also used to do one I think.

Item 4 It's a case of fitting some new resistors. Think there's an entry in WikiLEC

Item 6 if you have £1000 spare you may find some door seals. If you mean the hood to door window seals see DIY project on here using Peugeot seals.

Item 7 See thread on here re short shift and also new cables from brit car nut. He may have a set left. Did mine recently (both) and well worth it.

Item 8 Hi-spec/PNM as detailed and recommended loads on here. Wilwood is an alternative and similarly priced, but they don't do rears, only fronts.

Item 11 ESSENTIAL !!!!!!!!!

Item 12 (new) once done 8, add a mountain chip: Everest v4 or v5 or switcher. You'll get an extra 35bhp approx.

Happy fettling :D :D
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Grampy » Fri 01.08.2014, 13:12

Thanks I am looking forward to it in a strange sadistic way. The Mrs has fallen in love with the Élan which always makes it easier. :burnout:
Lotus Elan SE
lotus Elise S1
Golf R32
Audi A4 mile cruncher
Grampy
Enthusiast

Postby epipete » Fri 01.08.2014, 14:08

She may have fallen in love with it but I hope you don't have a Joint Bank Account :lol:
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Grampy » Fri 01.08.2014, 15:21

epipete wrote:She may have fallen in love with it but I hope you don't have a Joint Bank Account :lol:

Lol I am not that stupid :lol:
Lotus Elan SE
lotus Elise S1
Golf R32
Audi A4 mile cruncher
Grampy
Enthusiast

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)