Order of Repairs?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Order of Repairs?

Postby texaselite » Fri 03.10.2014, 15:54

Going to be a repeat post from ELANSCAN forum, but I think I am giving up on trying to get a scan because that doesn't seem to be working. Going to try to tackle some of these troubleshooting/repairs one by one on my own -- and would like input on best order to attack these. Let me know if you have better advice as this will be the first time I am doing any repairs myself (fed up with mechanics in US who have never seen an M100 and don't follow my instructions).

*If you want to read background on the car, scroll down below. Bottom line right now is I have CEL 41/42 and definitely not running 100%, very inconsistent (runs well for a little bit, but stalls out every once in a while, exhaust pops every once in awhile, etc.).

1) Check earthing on all wires that do not require removing other parts
Question: Which wires can I check very easily, and what exactly should I be "checking for" on earthing connections? Sorry, I am a novice.
2) Ensure gap on magnetic pick up on CAS (not the HES) has gap of 0.008" - have read that could cure my problems
3) Reset timing (no telling if the mechanic set it correctly last time which was over a year ago)
If that doesn't work...

4) Replace HES - have one in reserve (even though car has less than 1k miles since last one was replaced)
4a) Does the single rotary vane need to be EXACTLY midway between the jaws or just pass smoothly with no contact? How can you ensure this gap is exact?
5) Reset timing again to ensure it is correct post-HES replacement
If that doesn't work...

6) Clean leads at connection to coil packs (pretty sure this will require me moving the coolant tank and large intake pipe)
6a) Make sure routing of ignition wires is not too close to the EST circuit wiring (read that this solved someone's problem)
7) Check earthing on coil pack
If that doesn't work...

8) Replace Ignition Control module (purchased new one from LEC member this week)
9) Replace coil packs
10) Replace ignition wires
If that doesn't work...

11) Replace Sparkplugs
Question: Will I need to check timing again after steps 7, 10, or 11?

Thanks in advance!

BACKGROUND
91 Fed, about 44k miles on it now

July 2010 (when it had about 37k miles),
Experienced some mis-firing (no CEL)
-Replaced Ignition Wires (Kingsborne)
-Coil Packs (standard MSD recommended here)
-Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium)
Things OK until...

August 2010, experienced some overheating while driving (fans did not engage)
-Replaced Thermostat (the existing one was definitely stuck according to boiling water test)
Things OK until...

November 2011
Experienced mis-firing again (CEL 41) - this time very badly, sounded like a helicopter driving and not all cylinders firing
Also noticed some loose metal chunks in my muffler (disintegrated cat?)
-Purchased Head Gasket Leak Kit -- no signs of HGF
Car basically sat in garage until...

December 2012
Car towed to mechanic for a flurry of repairs and upgrades:
-HES replaced (new version)
-New timing belt
-02 sensor
-Oil Cooler replaced/Oil Pan Gasket/Valve Cover Gasket
-Piper stainless 2.25" w/sports cat
-Piper ceramic downpipe
-Wastegate ported to 20mm
-ProTech suspension (w/SJS springs)
-Front upper ball joints/Front lower ball joints/Front lower control arms/Various bushings
-Rotors/Brakepads/Stainless hoses/Master Cylinder/Caliper Seal & Sliding Kit
Car runs like a champ for first time in a while, except getting boost creep when pushed hard until...

July 2013
Less than 1k since the above work, CEL Code 41 and 42 (can HES go bad that quickly!?) and car very jumpy
Garaged for another a year (frustrated after spending $6k USD+ in the car) until...

September 2014
Mechanic doesn't really worry about CAS/HES (CEL 41) or EST (Code 42)
-Fuel filter replaced
-Thermostat replaced
-Temp Sensor replaced
Car runs much better than it did when I drove it to the mechanic (very jumpy, stalling out), but still have CEL 41/42 and definitely not running 100%, very inconsistent (runs well for a little bit, but stalls out every once in a while, exhaust pops every once in awhile, etc.)
texaselite
Enthusiast

Re: Order of Repairs?

Postby Ian T » Sun 05.10.2014, 08:54

I don't know what to say really, but my gut feeling is the car is trying to tell you something with the ECM codes.

Your order of repairs should I think start with the whole CAS and work through that to be sure it is right. I'm puzzled that you can't get Elanscan to work as mine was a doddle and just worked. If not, I wonder if there is an electrical fault elsewhere.

As for q11, some would say you should check the timing often, but changing the plugs will not affect it. Do make sure the ECU is in service mode with your paperclip before reading the base timing though.

Post up your progress too. :)

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby texaselite » Sun 05.10.2014, 14:01

Ian T wrote:Your order of repairs should I think start with the whole CAS and work through that to be sure it is right. I'm puzzled that you can't get Elanscan to work as mine was a doddle and just worked. If not, I wonder if there is an electrical fault elsewhere.

By the "whole" CAS, do you mean replacing the HES and the sensor gaps? I have never been able to source an entirely new CAS unit (with both sensors).

I am just as puzzled with ElanScan, but the forum doesn't seem to have much info on any OS past XP. I even tried it on XP, but no difference. Wouldn't know where to start to diagnose the electrical fault you speak of.
texaselite
Enthusiast

Postby Ian T » Sun 05.10.2014, 14:53

I meant verify the correct operation of the whole CAS assembly, including HES.

My Elanscan installation is on Windows 7 with a USB interface. No additional drivers were needed and all I needed to do was work out which COM port was the interface and tell Elanscan.

Ian.
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby texaselite » Sun 05.10.2014, 15:02

Maybe my USB cord is faulty? The driver selection was difficult because there are 3-4 different recommendations on LEC (newer versions, etc.), but I tried every single one and never any luck. I thought about getting a new ECM but don't think that's the issue bc it is reading out valid CEL codes with paper clip, and no evidence that it's gone bad.
texaselite
Enthusiast

Postby Ian T » Sun 05.10.2014, 16:58

Yes, I doubt your ECU has died. What happens when you plug the interface into your computer? (No car required at this point)

If you look in Device Manager, you should see a USB device that wasn't there before, also a serial (COM) port probably on a funny number, like COM10 or similar.

If so, then all is well and you just need to set it in Elanscan.

If you would rather post your interface to me to test for you, I could do that.

Ian.
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby texaselite » Sun 05.10.2014, 17:08

Yes, I get the USB Serial Port COM8, set that port in ElanScan application, and still getting nothing.

Which driver did you use? When I plugged the USB in for first time on a fresh computer, it does not recognize it and requires me to specify the driver. Like I said, I tried 3-4 different drivers, but no luck. Tried changing the port, still no luck.
texaselite
Enthusiast

Postby Ian T » Sun 05.10.2014, 18:11

Tell you what, I will get the netbook out and have a look, while I did download a driver I don't recollect installing it, but I should be able to find out which driver Windows loads and tell you the filename, date and size so you can compare.

Ian.
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby texaselite » Wed 08.10.2014, 17:40

Any other opinions on plan of attack to troubleshoot this before I start this project?
texaselite
Enthusiast

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 08.10.2014, 17:54

Sincere apologies for asking a very basic question, but are you using a "proper" elanscan lead from Geoff, or one you made yourself or had made?
If the latter 2, it won't work: you need the "proper" one.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby texaselite » Wed 08.10.2014, 18:49

Yes, proper ElanScan from Geoff.
texaselite
Enthusiast

Postby epipete » Wed 08.10.2014, 19:06

I know it's no consolation but after 5 years I still can't get my Elanscan to work either so I empathise, but am watching your progress intently! :burnout:
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby localad » Tue 04.08.2015, 14:45

Wow what a nightmare to be in, you will get this solved, I had a miss firing years ago similar to yours and it was two things in the end that needed to be changed, new coils (Which I see you have checked) and it needed a new Cam Angle Sensor, make sure the timing is right and it fixed mine fine, It does sound like the CAS needs changing and the disk needs cleaning
Good luck though
Andy
localad
Fanatic

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)