McLaren F1 mod on an Elan!.....

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: McLaren F1 mod on an Elan!.....

Postby Saltire » Sat 15.08.2015, 11:12

Jamie N wrote:No problem Mark, was good to have a wee blether! :D . Still have a couple of these left if anyone wants one, so simple to fit you wont believe, and can be returned to standard even easier in less than 2 minutes :wink: .

Go on then, Jamie, il take one of the remaining ones please. Would you PM me payment details - PayPal, credit transfer or good old-fashioned cheque, and I'll get it off to you straight away.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby daveiow » Sat 15.08.2015, 12:18

I'll take the other one if available :D
Just let me know how to send the funds
Thanks David
"live long and prosper"
Calypso Red 91se. Hispecs,PNM rear calipers,Samco's & BCN cables & SSK so far!(oh and a new hood and paint) sold
Evora n/a
Alfa Sud 1.5ti long gone!
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Sat 15.08.2015, 14:43

No problem Guy's will sort that out shortly. If anyone else wants one i can make others up in no time at all. :wink: Makes such a difference being able to lift the wiper to clean the glass as well, why did they make them so they didnt raise anyway?.
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Peter D » Mon 17.08.2015, 21:59

Enright wrote:Agreed - I can't recomment Rain-X highly enough. I used it on all my cars but it works especially well on the Elan's steeply raked windscreen, it just streams up and off.
The only slight issue is that as it wears out, you need a bit more draught to achieve the same effect, so you can be encouraged to drive a bit faster.
"Sorry I was speeding ociffer, but I was just blowing the rain off my windscreen as my Rain-X is running out (bet you haven't heard that one before)!"

My opinion :
1. Rain-X doesn't do anything for you when stopped (traffic light, ...).
2. Wipers clean your windscreen, with a bit of help from washer fluid, insects, mud and dust can be cleaned enough to continue your road, Rain-X won't do that for you.
3. Rain-X will (if you choose to keep the wipers as back-up) make the rubber of your wipers degrade very fast, and wipers will produce chatter and fishtail behaviour (like you just drove out of the car wash and put your wipers on).
Noise coming from this behaviour comes with it, probably joined with squeeck noise on drying windscreen.
-> This I can explain in short :
* The product smooths out any unevenness (suface of a windshield under microscope looks like the alps)
* Flattened out, the rain has no more grip on the windscreen and will run off easaly (no more adhesion).
Down side : contact surface between rubber and windscreen multiplies by heaps, increasing friction.
For optimal function, wipers need a very thin waterfilm (µm units, not visible for the human eye) on the windscreen to slice nice and smooth.
As a development engineer for wipers, I can't give more detailed information as it is considered very sensitive and confidential.

Please feel free to use what you think works fine for you and if your wipers need replacement, buy BOSCH ;-)
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.
Peter D
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Mon 17.08.2015, 22:06

Peter D wrote:Please feel free to use what you think works fine for you and if your wipers need replacement, buy BOSCH ;-)

Especially if you can get a pair for a donation to LEC kitty at Brands Hatch :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Tue 18.08.2015, 17:36

I promised to post some photo's of Jamies McLaren F1 wiper modification

I think you'll agree it's much more uncluttered ;-)
Attachments
At rest.jpg
At rest
At play.jpg
At play
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Tue 18.08.2015, 19:23

Jamie N wrote:No problem Guy's will sort that out shortly. If anyone else wants one i can make others up in no time at all. :wink: Makes such a difference being able to lift the wiper to clean the glass as well, why did they make them so they didnt raise anyway?.

Parts arrived today, Jamie, thanks. Looking forward to fitting when I get a spare moment :D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby esprit888 » Tue 18.08.2015, 20:28

I have ordered one from you Jamie but didn't mention its for a LHD, I assume it works the same but our wipers swing in the opposite direction to yours (meaning the one wiper swap will be utilizing the passenger wiper on ours which is the drivers arm for yours, if you know what i mean :? )
esprit888
God

Postby daveiow » Tue 18.08.2015, 20:53

Package arrived here at 12pm :D
You can't fault Royal Mail for that,God knows how many miles and a ferry crossing!
Hope to fit it tomorrow and will post some pic's.
Thanks Jamie
"live long and prosper"
Calypso Red 91se. Hispecs,PNM rear calipers,Samco's & BCN cables & SSK so far!(oh and a new hood and paint) sold
Evora n/a
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 19.08.2015, 00:09

Rambo wrote:I promised to post some photo's of Jamies McLaren F1 wiper modification

I think you'll agree it's much more uncluttered ;-)

Yes, but it's appearance not function. Sorry to be 'the boy who says the King's got no clothes' but I've got a single wiper on the Eclat. In torrential rain on high speed it sweeps past the driver and spends far too much time on the passenger side before it comes back for the driver to see again. The only sensible solution is to slow right down and let all the other cars with two wipers pass you. I'd never go from two to one so as they say on Dragon's Den - "I'm out on this one"
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby daveiow » Wed 19.08.2015, 11:11

Jamie you have PM
David
"live long and prosper"
Evora n/a
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby epipete » Wed 19.08.2015, 11:31

Jamie N wrote:Well we share the same windscreen and if it's good enough for one of the greatest Supercars ever, then surely it good enough for the Elan? :D , I'm certain some of you will totally disagree (some may even be horrified and call for immediate execution :-D ) ,

I wouldn't call for your execution Jamie (you do far to much good), but it's not for me. The fact that it isn't centralised (looking at the pics) across the midline of the bonnet triggers my OCD.

But I think the point about the length/time of its sweep is relevant, I hadn't considered that before.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Jamie N » Wed 19.08.2015, 12:16

esprit888 wrote:I have ordered one from you Jamie but didn't mention its for a LHD, I assume it works the same but our wipers swing in the opposite direction to yours (meaning the one wiper swap will be utilizing the passenger wiper on ours which is the drivers arm for yours, if you know what i mean :? )

Thats fine Colin, all you do is point the ball of the modified part to the left instead of the right. :wink:

No need for apologies Phil :D , Maybe taking it a wee bit too serious dude ;-) , It's only a fun little mod that can be put back to standard so quickly and easily you would do this.... :shock: , you dont even need to remove the modified part to do it, it can be left bolted on with no effect to anything whatsoever as its only a tiny wee ickle thing, once the other wiper was bolted back on and positioned it honestly takes 6 seconds to revert the whole setup to sweep as normal again. No big deal.

So at the worst case scenario, if someone fitted it and felt it was too slow in a thunderstorm, click it back into normal position, refit the other wiper and carry on life as normal, but i have used it in a fairly hefty downpour a couple of months back and there was no noticeable issue with visibility at all.

Its Just one of those mods Folks, some will love, some will loathe, in the whole scheme of life its not important at all. All cool :wink: .
Monaco S2 #406

Jamie N
Seal God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 19.08.2015, 14:51

Jamie N wrote:
esprit888 wrote:I have ordered one from you Jamie but didn't mention its for a LHD, I assume it works the same but our wipers swing in the opposite direction to yours (meaning the one wiper swap will be utilizing the passenger wiper on ours which is the drivers arm for yours, if you know what i mean :? )

Thats fine Colin, all you do is point the ball of the modified part to the left instead of the right. :wink:

No need for apologies Phil :D , Maybe taking it a wee bit too serious dude ;-) , It's only a fun little mod that can be put back to standard so quickly and easily you would do this.... :shock: , you dont even need to remove the modified part to do it, it can be left bolted on with no effect to anything whatsoever as its only a tiny wee ickle thing, once the other wiper was bolted back on and positioned it honestly takes 6 seconds to revert the whole setup to sweep as normal again. No big deal.

So at the worst case scenario, if someone fitted it and felt it was too slow in a thunderstorm, click it back into normal position, refit the other wiper and carry on life as normal, but i have used it in a fairly hefty downpour a couple of months back and there was no noticeable issue with visibility at all.

Its Just one of those mods Folks, some will love, some will loathe, in the whole scheme of life its not important at all. All cool :wink: .

No problem Jamie ... many Elan owners don't go out in the rain anyway.. :lol: It's very rare to need high speed wipe but when you do two is better than one.

If you only have one can you park it straight up the screen? In the 70's the Broadspeed Capris always raced with the wiper parked straight up as it cleaned up the airflow up the screen and over the roof... reckon that would be best position for Elan too.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Jamie N » Wed 19.08.2015, 17:40

lotusflasherman wrote:If you only have one can you park it straight up the screen? In the 70's the Broadspeed Capris always raced with the wiper parked straight up as it cleaned up the airflow up the screen and over the roof... reckon that would be best position for Elan too.

Thats right Phil, I remember reading about those, the big wide arches etc, cool car back in the day, I used to love Capri's when i was a wee boy!. Again though with those the wiper wasn't dead in the centre, same as the Elan its slightly offset from centre, but the Capri was slightly left and the Elans is a bit to the right (looking at the car from the front), therefore, aesthetically at least its probably better of being parked down ( like the F1). It might be possible to park it straight but i doubt it would be with the current modded piece, due to its design, i would have to study it a bit more and see what i could work out. Back in the 90's i used to convert 205 / 309 GTi' track cars to single wiper and those were able to park straight up no problem but it was obviously a different setup to the Elans. As i said before though its just a wee fun thing, no big deal. ;-)
Monaco S2 #406

Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Jamie N » Sun 23.08.2015, 21:26

Had a quick look at this earlier today, turns out its phenomenally simple to park the wiper in the middle of the screen, needs nothing other than loosening the nut on the rotating arm of the motor, turn it clockwise around half a turn and tighten it back up, wiper now parks in the middle and travels towards the driver on its first movement which in effect gives a slightly quicker wipe to begin with, or on intermittent, reverse that movement of the arm again and it will park at the bottom if preffered.

The reality is its perfectly fast enough for most types of rain, i dont think the speed of wiping would be a problem in anything or than a proper deluge, even cars with two wipers can struggle in that kind of rain.

It actually looks quite smart parked in the middle, going to keep it like that for now anyway, the other thing is the slight offset to the right, that actually works in its favour giving just a bit more "view" for the driver, and from the drivers seat it looks pretty cool, looks like you are in some kind of racecar :-D , although its not actually that far off the middle there is another option whereby a different wiper arm that has a slight angle to the left before going straight up could be used which would bring it virtually bang in the middle, and have it slightly shorter so that a longer wiper blade can be used as well (the wiper on it isn't touching the trim at the top, its just the angle of the picture). Such a simple mod and sooooo easy to revert back to 2 if you get fed up with it .

Check out my tame Woodpigeon in the background :D
Monaco S2 #406

Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Jamie N » Mon 04.04.2016, 12:45

Monaco S2 #406

Jamie N
Seal God

Postby HJ2 » Mon 04.04.2016, 14:07

Good to see you o active on the forum again 8)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby Jamie N » Mon 04.04.2016, 15:38

HJ2 wrote:Good to see you o active on the forum again 8)

I've never been away though :poke: :D
Monaco S2 #406

Jamie N
Seal God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 04.04.2016, 17:08

Jamie N wrote:http://petrolblog.com/2014/06/10-best-single-wipers/ 8)

they missed out one of these ...

ECLAT2d.jpg
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)