Ongoing Improvements

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Ongoing Improvements

Postby Saltire » Wed 03.08.2016, 22:34

Fredjohn wrote:Thanks for the tips everyone. I thought I had seen an article on ball joint replacement! Having now read it in context it makes sense. I have ordered 2 ball joints from Fife and the bolts nuts and washers from massiveattack007 as recommended by Dave the Pink. Thanks too to Dave for your usual in depth research. Just under £25 the lot with a few nuts/washers to spare.

Having just done this replacement, I can vouch for its effect. Just one point you may like to consider: the ball joints don't seem to have much corrosion protection (although McGill say they're coated). I put a bit of lithium spray on mine as a temporary measure, but I'll probably paint them when I do the suspension overhaul during the winter. Anyway, they work a treat on the car.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 17.08.2016, 15:26

Just an update on progress.

2 new Gaz adjustable shocks fitted at front using the old springs, ARB replaced with 2nd hand unit from Lotusbits with the dapinky rosejoint/bolt mod. Managed to feed the ARB in and out without removing prongeron, just the engine damper needing to be removed. Don't know if this is how it should come off but I managed!!!

4 new spark Bosch plugs, K&N air-filter thoroughly cleaned with their own cleaning kit, injector cleaning fluid added to fuel tank, CO pot adjusted c10-12 turns anti clockwise resulting in emissions of 2.5%

MOT passed for another 12 months :D

Only query remaining from this is an increase in front ride height of c20mm. I set the adjustable spring seat at same level as old non-adjustable units (measured from the yoke bracket). Current height floor to wheel arch:

650mm drivers side
635mm passenger side

I'm guessing if I sit in the car (I'm c90kg, not the wishful 75kg!!) it'd drop to about 635mm on the drivers side too. These measurements seem to correlate with a previous post, see link, so maybe they are actually about right?? I know ride height is measured under the car somewhere, but at the moment I want to stay clean and not scrabble under the car (ie I'm just lazy today!)

Once I move house, over winter I'll clean all the suspension bits and paint/powder coat them working in my lovely 35' x 15' workshop, with my daily in its own separate double garage. Watch this space.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 17.08.2016, 15:54

John,

I know I'll forget my next 'top tip' if I don't write it down, so here goes.......

The easiest way to set the ride height is by using a simple wooden 'H' made from old bits of 2"x1" timber (okay, so to be technical, you need 2 - one front and one rear).

Cut 2 lengths of timber @ 165mm and 2 @ 155mm...... these are placed under the relevant bits of the chassis with 75Kg of sand (3 bags) on the drivers seat.

Use another couple of bits of wood to hold the vertical pieces in place, and then simply go round the car changing the suspension heights until all 4 bits of wood are just touching the chassis.

drive to allow shocks to settle, check again - job done!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 18.06.2017, 23:12

Thought it was about time to update my done/to do list. Due to some awful vibration I had to change the drive-shafts. Wasn't sure which side so did both. Thanks to SJ Sports I was able to get 2 new shafts, although I bought a short (inner) shaft for the driver's (UK) side and re-used the outer CV joint. This was in good condition and not causing a problem. This saved a fortune due to SJ's pricing. Too complex to explain: just look at their site for M100 drive-shafts full or half and compare prices.....

So here's my updated list:

Jobs done (more recent in red)
1) Wilwood front brake upgrade (caliper 120-8728)
2) Electric remote boot release
3) Electric remote fuel flap release.
4) Put silencer on blow-off valve
5) Fit combined radio/stereo/sat nav/Bluetooth Xtrons D-714SG
6) Amp for above Auna 2800 95w rms
7) New speakers all round Auna 5.5" at rear Juice 4.5" at front
8 ) Repaired broken slider on window
9) Group buy separate hub/disc on rear brakes
10) New cam belt/idler/tensioner/water pump (belt again late 2019)
11) VW Golf relay for variable intermittent wipe
12) Fitted BCN gear change cables and short shift linkage.
13) Fitted new dial faces to funboy 3
14) Replace elastic tensioners on hood
15) Fitted gas struts to boot lid
16) Fitted Samco water hoses
17) Refurbish seats with heated seat panels
18) Fitted stainless steel fitting kit to wheel arch liners.
19) New "B" post caps
20) Fitted gas struts to bonnet
21) Clean out proportioning valves
22) Replaced rear calipers with PNM kit
23) New rear pads
24) 3rd brake lights fitted to wind deflector
25) Fitted braided rear brake hoses
26) Fitted new drive-shafts (and re-fill gearbox!)
27) 2 new tyres (Toyo Proxes)
28) New plugs, cleaned filter, adjusted CO2 pot

Still to do
1) Set ride height as per Dave's instructions above (imminent)
2) 4 wheel tracking set-up (imminent)
3) Fit stainless steel fitting kit to headlights.
4) De-rust suspension parts, protect and paint.
5) Re-furbish wheels

Tidy up paint work, anything else that arises or is needed for MOT success!

In between some of these recent jobs I have moved house, built a kitchen and office, re-built the brakes on the old S4, laid a new floor in the dining/kitchen/conservatory and had a few holidays. Next on the list after the small latter of a wedding and honeymoon in Berlin is a September Lotus holiday (with 7-8 other Lotus) to the Rhine and Black Forest. Rob P will be one of them (this time in a Lotus please!!) Looks like it's a German year this year.

Happy motoring one and all :burnout: :burnout:
Last edited by Fredjohn on Fri 10.04.2020, 08:09, edited 2 times in total.

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

Postby Saltire » Mon 19.06.2017, 08:27

Putting the rest of us to shame, John. When are you planning on setting up Lotus Malvern? :lol:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 27.06.2017, 12:46

Just had 4 wheel alignment done at Paul Matty's.

Changed both front camber shims from 12.5 to 10.5, repositioned 1 or 2 shims for castor setting and adjusted rear camber/toe in.

BUT there was no more adjustment available to do the camber on one front, and toe in on one rear corner, so they repositioned the holes in the wishbones/chassis respectively and re-welded the shim/cam position stops so that the new settings are central. This will allow adjustment in future in either direction.

Cost a bit, but well worth it as all wheels are now properly aligned and the "throw" (??) is now 0 degrees instead of being way out at 19 degrees. (That's the relative positioning/alignment of front and back wheels I think!)

Yet to drive on decent road to test it, but will report back in due course.

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

Postby Fredjohn » Sat 25.03.2023, 20:26

Just a little fettling this week.

Changed the plastic drive pegs in the passenger side headlamp motor. Old pegs were just a pile of crumbs! Did the other side 4/5yrs ago, but still managed to find the 3 remaining pegs I'd stored safely away.

Also fitted 4 new brighter headlamp bulbs whilst I was in there. Halfords 150% and 200% brighter apparently.

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

Postby Saltire » Sat 25.03.2023, 22:14

Agree over the bulbs. I have Osram Nightbreakers in both main and dip, and it makes a huge difference to visibility
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Saltire
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 26.03.2023, 13:54

they certainly have a bigger effect on the wallet. is the difference in the price worth it for you guys ?

based on your opinions i will be willing to replace mine as well.... now come to think about it... im the one who drives the elan all year round.. im probably the person who will take most advantage of an upgrade like that
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
Tuga2112
God

Postby Saltire » Sun 26.03.2023, 19:37

I think I paid GBP 15 for a 2-pack of Nightbreaker H1 bulbs, which I don’t think is unreasonable for the improvement it gave.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Saltire
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)