Electronic Hood Cover Release

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Electronic Hood Cover Release

Postby dapinky » Tue 12.05.2015, 20:35

Geoff - far too complex for a simpleton like me to understand (well, I understand the theory, but couldn't put it into practice).

Martin - that was a consideration, but (A) I only had one solenoid to hand, (B) if one failed, the whole system wouldn't work (same as now), but twice the chance of failure with 2 of 'em. (c) mounting 2 solenoids wouldn't be any easier than routing 2 cables to one solenoid.

All in all, I decided it wasn't worth it.....

.... and why make it harder with 2 solenoids when it works just fine with one.

...now, if the solenoid would fit inside the frame/bracket and operate the latch directly........ (but the one i had was too long).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Tue 12.05.2015, 20:47

maz_r wrote:Or (and I may be divergent from the plan a bit here), is there some reason you can't use 2 solenoids - one for each catch?

Placement of the second solenoid would be a problem for the latch above the gas tank. There's likely no room to install one in the right orientation. Plus, why have two points of failure, two wire runs, two fuses, etc.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 12.05.2015, 22:52

dapinky wrote:I was actually looking at whether a pair of hydraulic struts could be mounted to hold the lid open

This would make a huge difference. Shame there seems to be insufficient space.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Wed 13.05.2015, 20:34

dapinky wrote:...now, if the solenoid would fit inside the frame/bracket and operate the latch directly........ (but the one i had was too long).

This one would likely fit the bill. Still, its just as easy to run some wire and mount a bracket I think a la your method Dave. Easier to access the solenoid if need be too. As I'm thinking this over I think I will try a small variation of your plan. I have a bunch of barrel adjusters that I think I'll use instead of a plate like you've made. I can mount it in a very small bracket, use that second hole on the latch (and thereby leave the manual release intact) and angle the cable to run close to the direction of the actual pull needed to release the latch.

Fingers crossed.
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Wed 13.05.2015, 22:59

I've no doubt that there are any number of solenoids which would fit in the brackets and provide enough energy to release the catch - but i had one lying around! (also those type are less than a fiver each, so represent good value!)

As far as the barrel adjusters go, i have got some in the garage, but couldn't see any great benefit to using them on a bracket as opposed to having a static cable end block - once set up I can't see much adjustment being necessary, it's not like on a bike where you need to take up wear in the brake pads..... but it will no doubt work.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Fri 15.05.2015, 12:44

Dave, only because I can't recall the answer to this question from doing my own version of an electric release and I'd rather not start something and regret it halfway through so...................

Do you recall if the 2 screws at the bottom of the frame/bracket that holds the latch are captive? I've got a lot of stuff going on in that space now and if they aren't captive I may not be able to reattach them if I remove them. Also, does the cable from the stock puller come out of the frame easily. I'm hoping its inserted into a slot (so it slides out) as opposed to a hole requiring one to rethread it all the way through again. This is all assuming that you might have removed the frame to do the work instead of doing it in situ. Thanks!
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Fri 15.05.2015, 16:51

Blair,

I can't help you at all with much of this - i didn't take the brackets off or remove the old cable.

All nuts are captive (on my car, anyway!) - but the only thing i actually took off (apart from the catches themselves) was the plastic shroud thing with the 2 small self tapping screws (which just go into a hole in the bracket so have no nuts on them).

For anyone wishing to do a really simple and cheap modification to the release mechanism (not electric) you could just attach a piece of wire from one catch release to the other and leave it dangling - then a (low effort) pull on that cable will release both catches - simples!
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Elanlover » Fri 15.05.2015, 18:51

I just had a good look at the parts manual and the screws don't appear to be captive. I suspect they can be accessed by removing the plastic rail. However, the cable for the manual pull seems to be inserted into a hole in the bracket meaning you'd have to unhook the cabling to remove the bracket altogether. Figures!
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Sun 17.05.2015, 14:52

Whilst searching through Ebay today, I found an advert for a pair of the brackets/catches - so I have borrowed the picture to try and show how mine is put together (sorry Dave - I nicked your photo!)

As a picture is worth a thousand words, I don't believe that I need to say any more at this point :D (except to maybe appologise for my poor artwork courtesy of 'Paint')

hood catches.png
as fitted, with operating bars in situ

hood catches 2.jpg
as modified (but I left the bars inside the brackets)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Elanlover » Sun 17.05.2015, 15:12

Excellent Dave, very clear. I am working out a slightly different way to do this and will post pics when complete. The bottom line for me is what you've already pointed out so well. The system of a cable pulling a lever that connects to a rod at 90 degrees is a very inefficient use of the force the cable release handle generates when pulled. I'm sure one could do the math but I have to believe that its taking 3 times the force (or more) to open the latch with this system than would be required if you could pull it in a straight line.

So the goal would be to create a system that pulls the latch release in a direction that is as close to the direction that the latch moves as possible (if that all makes sense). If my imagination is correct I think its possible to do.
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sat 13.06.2015, 16:14

Just to close the loop (well, MY loop anyway) on this, I've finished my version of the release. Again, hats off to Dave for taking the time to figure out the main issue is that the current way the system works requires a lot of force to release the latches. I was able to retain the stock hand release as a backup as well. It's pretty much as Dave did his except I drilled a second hole in the little latch release lever (for lack of a better description) just below the hole where the rod normally insert and attached a small "S" hook. Although there is already a second hole its position makes it much harder to release the latch and requires more force than we really want to apply.

IMG_3950.JPG

I made a loop at the end of the pulling wire/cable, crimped with the appropriately sized wire crimps, then hooked the loop over the end of the "S" hook. I also used standard bicycle "barrel adjusters" at each end of the cable so I can adjust for slack and stretching easily if need be. I used an Audi trunk release (as per below) that I've used before (and had one around) as they are very compact, light, strong for their size, readily available, cheap, etc. I've used this for the filler flap release and trunk/boot release. In fact, its so small I was able to cut an opening in the inside of the trunk lid, install it then make a cover for the hole. It fits perfectly and looks about as OEM as it can. Try to find one with the rod attached as that's pretty useful.

$(KGrHqUOKpYE6cBIFpYZBPjt)KQtBQ~~60_57.jpg

It all works extremely well and far better than my original version!
Elanlover

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)