Engine Prep

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Engine Prep

Postby Candles » Sat 31.10.2015, 22:58

engine2.jpg

engine.jpg

Just unwrapped this from the recon place! Now to clean, paint and fit all the bits!
Candles
God

Re: Engine Prep

Postby dapinky » Sat 31.10.2015, 23:20

Looks nice...... but more importantly (to me) - did you use a local recon place?

I'm looking to have my spare engine rebuilt over the winter and have been after recomendations for getting the block rebored for my +1mm pistons, and have the crank examined/polished (but hopefully not reground as it would remove the tuftriding).... unless it becomes necessary :roll:

My local bloke in Weston has retired and I'm unsure of the guy who now runs it (from what I've heard, he's trading on the old owners reputation, but the quality isn't as high).

I was looking at Price Brothers over in Avonmouth (who I used for my old Twin Cam engine when I had the Europa, but that was 30 odd years ago!), but would welcome any other recomendations.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby cliff » Sun 01.11.2015, 00:06

Wow!!

Looks fantastic, almost tempted to take mine back out and start again. :P

Looks like you have had the engine hangers galvanised, I had mine powder coated. So the new finish did not get damaged, I wrapped them in self vulcanising black tape. Same with the contact area of the bolt I used to attach the engine crane. Despite a few in/out moments they came out unscathed.

Have fun with the front gearbox mounting
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
03 MG TF 135 Sprint (Partner's)
15 Renault Megane Coupe

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Postby epipete » Sun 01.11.2015, 06:39

These are great pictures of what looks like a good job.

Daft as it sounds I really appreciate these as they clearly show me where the bung for the CAS oil seal goes and of all the pictures I've seen before nothing is this good.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Candles » Sun 01.11.2015, 19:43

Yes good point - if anyone needs pictures of any bits from unusual angles, please ask.

Pinky - I got it done over in Newark. I can put you in touch if you like? I put in a slight oversize piston following a gentle re-bore. I'm not sure what they did with the crank but I hope they didn't grind off the case-hardening!

Candles.
Candles
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 01.11.2015, 20:52

I was hoping for recomendation of somewhere local - but a recomendation for somewhere else is probably better than taking pot luck in the yellow pages (or google!).

If you could PM me the company details, that would be good, ta!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)