no car

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

no car

Postby Brianabbot » Sun 20.03.2016, 20:05

So the car is finally at the bodyshop, hopefully due back later this week. After sorting out the garage and generally throwing away all the broken rusty bits of lotus from the floor I thought I would have a go at tidying up the heat shield. The VHT silver went down really well but Im still waiting for the red to dry, and Im now not too sure about the look. Worst case Ill clean it off and start again with just the silver, if I decide to keep the red it needs a bit of tidying round the edges. I used a red vht paint and kind of poured and painted it in the hollow then wiped it clean round the edges.
Attachments
IMG_0027.jpg
Brianabbot

Re: no car

Postby Jamie N » Sun 20.03.2016, 20:53

Hope you were wearing a mask Brian!, that VHT is nasty stuff, breathe that in and it will be the dead bodyshop you will be in ;-) .
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Brianabbot » Sun 20.03.2016, 21:50

Hi, yep masked up and plenty of ventilation :D
Brianabbot

Postby Brianabbot » Fri 22.04.2016, 22:34

Almost finished now, took it for a proper drive and I'm very pleased, still got the timing to check tomorrow and I have some new spark plugs to go in. Nice shiny exhaust from pnm went on yesterday and I'm so glad I went for the extra silencer. Overall I'm really chuffed with it. It is so so red, no pinky tinge anymore.

I had an esprit a few years ago with a really loud dump valve, on the Elan today I noticed a bit of a whoosh when I changed gear - I was accelerating quite hard, I did the waste gate wiggle last week and I'm assuming this is the waste gate dumping the pressure through the exhaust or have I got it totally wrong. Sorry I'm not completely sure how this works exactly, on the esprit I hated the sudden noise but this was more of a whoosh, anyway just wondered if this was normal.
Brianabbot

Postby Rambo » Sat 23.04.2016, 07:38

Sounds very much like your wastegate opening and closing. If you haven't got that flappy, farty sort of sound it means it's stuck

If you have the heatshield off, its worth doing the procedure outlined in the Wiki under wastegate wiggle. Much easier this way
Last edited by Rambo on Sun 24.04.2016, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Brianabbot » Sat 23.04.2016, 08:08

Hi, thanks yes I did the wiggle thing last week and it was all moving quite nicely, I only had one drive before the new exhaust and the wiggle and there was no whoosh when changing gear so I'm guessing it was stuck although the exhaust had such a huge hole in it was difficult to hear much.
Thanks for the help
Brianabbot

Postby Rambo » Sat 23.04.2016, 08:16

Brian - another thing I should have mentioned... You said you had a new PNM exhaust. My guess is that you have either a Cybox 2.25" or a 2.5" ?? If so, did you port the wastegate when you had the turbo off ? A lot of folks do this as the increased diameter exhaust can lead to over boost

Edited Oh no, a duplicate posting !! My head is on the block and I can feel the sharp edge of Enright's axe bearing down on me :oops:
Last edited by Rambo on Sat 23.04.2016, 08:21, edited 2 times in total.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Sat 23.04.2016, 08:18

Brian - another thing I should have mentioned... You said you had a new PNM exhaust. My guess is that you have either a Cybox 2.25" or a 2.5" ?? If so, did you port the wastegate when you had the turbo off ? A lot of folks do this as the increased diameter exhaust can lead to over boost

http://wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Porting_the_wastegate
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Brianabbot » Sat 23.04.2016, 08:30

I just typed a long reply must must have deleted it by mistake :banghead:
No I didn't do the waste gate porting, I guess I will have to give this a go next I was a bit nervous about taking it all off. I'm out in a bit for a proper drive so I'll watch the gauge a bit more, I assume if it's over boosting the gauge will shoot up?
Thanks for the help
Brian
Brianabbot

Postby Candles » Sat 23.04.2016, 09:03

It 'creeps' up from the regulated 0.62 and when it gets to 0.9_something, there's a huge and sudden loss of power as the ECU cuts the fuel. It then recovers immediately but you are limited to 4000rpm for 30s. I ported my wastegate and I thought that I'd fixed it, but on a cold morning (high density), you can still trip the fuel cut. It is worth doing!

Candles.
Candles
God

Postby Brianabbot » Sat 23.04.2016, 16:43

Thanks for the advice I think I'll have a go at the porting. Anything rather than this base timing thing. I just can't work out how to do it. Something is either very wrong with my car or I'm doing something stupid. I found the little v nick but with the timing gun it appears at a 6 o clock position almost 180 degrees from the timing marks, I'm obviously doing something wrong so if anyone has any pointers I'd be really grateful, I got an accuspark gun with lots of buttons on which I'm a bit unsure about but whatever I press I can't get the v to strobe anywhere near the timing marks, the clamp is on the lead nearest the timing belt and it has new plugs in. The paper lip is in place and there are no fault codes. If anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong that would be great

Thanks v much
Brian
Brianabbot

Postby Brianabbot » Sat 23.04.2016, 17:17

I think I need to be looking at the inner pulley -just found a nick in that one too - fingers crossed!
Brianabbot

Postby Brianabbot » Sat 23.04.2016, 18:03

All sorted after realising there was another v notch in the pulley behind, it was a bit out and I've adjusted and taken it for a run and all is well

:D :D
Brianabbot

Postby simonbuk » Sun 24.04.2016, 12:11

Don't want to start another thread as people get cross with me :-D

What should this whooshing noise sound like ? Is it fairly quiet but noticeable ? Or 'christ that made me jump' noise if somebody wasn't use to it ?

I noticed that when I overtook people they s**t themselves !! Really made them jump, just seems to be not quite Lotus like, more Jap spec'd boy racer noise if you know what I mean.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby Rambo » Sun 24.04.2016, 16:42

Sounds very much like you have a chavvy/boy racer dump valve fitted then ? Possibly a BOV rather than an RDV ??

The wastegate fluttery sound is more like a rasping fart the morning after 5 pints and a hot curry :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Brianabbot » Sun 24.04.2016, 23:04

Mines a bit like a whistling kettle noise - I mean the car not a fart.
I can't believe the difference the timing adjustment has made, I took it out for about an hour and it's just so much better. Really good productive weekend for me, it's nice to do something that is so noticeable.
Brianabbot

Postby John_W » Mon 25.04.2016, 07:35

Brianabbot wrote: I can't believe the difference the timing adjustment has made

Correctly set base timing makes a huge difference to the Elan. When the Mountain chips were being developed and tested it was identified as the prime reason that some people were reporting less than expected power gains. (See the thread "ESM Chips - Performance & discussion" viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4523&hilit=Timing&start=80#p50576 . The penny dropped for me in my post of 01 Sep 2004 18:14, and for Nige in his of 01 Sep 2004 22:53.)

The importance of setting static timing correctly is well worth repeating.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby simonbuk » Mon 25.04.2016, 08:40

Rambo wrote:Sounds very much like you have a chavvy/boy racer dump valve fitted then ? Possibly a BOV rather than an RDV ??

The wastegate fluttery sound is more like a rasping fart the morning after 5 pints and a hot curry :lol:

Well thats what I thought but theres no BOV valve in sight !

I'll have to compare it to another Elan and see if I'm making more noise than most !!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Postby simonbuk » Sat 30.04.2016, 10:45

Well just had my base timing checked and it was about 4 degrees too advanced - maybe not that much ?

Out of interest why would it get out of timing ? Is it something that can move over time or would it have been when the last cambelt was changed ?

simonbuk
God

Postby tigerdog » Sun 15.05.2016, 19:18

simonbuk wrote:Out of interest why would it get out of timing ? Is it something that can move over time or would it have been when the last cambelt was changed ?

possibly was not set properly when the timing belt was changed... or the belt has slackend a little, giving a slight change in alignment. When I fitted new o-rings to my CAS a while back, I also found a small amount of wear in the slot where the CAS mates to the drive from the camshaft. Had to work at it a bit to get it to sit tightly into the slot. Any combination of these could give a tiny bit of play to allow a 4 degree shift.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)